Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap

Ok guys, just want to get some opinions here. i have a 92 dx right now, and i need some more power. I think i'm running like 110hp right now on it. I got a lot of miles on the engine so I was thinkin about doin an engine swap. My room mate tells me to put a gsr engine in it, I was thinkin about just puttin an lx engine or something though. What do you guys think. How hard is it? I don't want to spend forever on this, i just want it to be like a 1 weekend job and spend as little as possible. tryin to keep the cost under 2 grand.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: engine swap (austinkli)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by austinkli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok guys, just want to get some opinions here. i have a 92 dx right now, and i need some more power. I think i'm running like 110hp right now on it. I got a lot of miles on the engine so I was thinkin about doin an engine swap. My room mate tells me to put a gsr engine in it, I was thinkin about just puttin an lx engine or something though. What do you guys think. How hard is it? I don't want to spend forever on this, i just want it to be like a 1 weekend job and spend as little as possible. tryin to keep the cost under 2 grand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the job can be done over the weekend, it's really easy to do. but since you budget is around 2K, may i suggest something alittle cheaper but more power thanyour current set up. you can always go with a D16 (sohc vtec) or a LS (B18B) that's alittle more than the d16.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine swap (philosofy1)

have you given any thought to boosting it?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine swap (pdotjones)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdotjones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you given any thought to boosting it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

good idea but risky on high milage i say jsut puta ls.. u near nc i got one for sale..
Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: engine swap (pdotjones)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by austinkli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok guys, just want to get some opinions here. i have a 92 dx right now, and i need some more power. I think i'm running like 110hp right now on it. I got a lot of miles on the engine so I was thinkin about doin an engine swap. My room mate tells me to put a gsr engine in it, I was thinkin about just puttin an lx engine or something though. What do you guys think. How hard is it? I don't want to spend forever on this, i just want it to be like a 1 weekend job and spend as little as possible. tryin to keep the cost under 2 grand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lx engine is just plug and play...why?

'92-'95 DX = D15B7
'92-'95 LX = D15B7

That would just be a replacement engine.

He probably meant an LS (B18A/B).

You have 1 weekend job, under 2 grand, I'd go with an LS motor or a B20 motor. Don't bother with the LS/VTEC or the B20/VTEC as they're pretty useless unless you're changing the internals out (putting a high rev head on a low rev block = lose) which would jack you up more than 2k.

So get an LS or B20, if you get the B20 slap an LS or GSR trans on it - don't bother with the B16/ITR trans b/c they'll rape your gas mileage on the highway - if it was an 8 valve engine, different story - but it's not - so stay away from those if you actually like to drive on the highway (unless you swap out the 5th gear). The LS trans is fine though, it's also cheap, and there's many to go around. The LS is about the same gear ratio as an EX trans - which is actually shorter than your DX transmission.

B20 - ~500 (completely dressed block)
LS - ~300
B series Mounts - Depends on what kind, used B series, new B series, Hasport, Avid, etc.
B series shifter linkage - &lt;100 bucks
B LS ECU (though if you're running the B20 I'd recommend getting your ECU chipped and throwing a B20 basemap on it - as it's not exactly the best to run the B20 on the LS basemap. - &lt;200 bucks

So for 1k-1.5k you can have yourself a good, solid, B20 or LS motor in there.

You won't get away with a GSR done correctly for under 2K unless it's some kind of bargain deal.

Don't boost, you're boosting a high mileage engine so it's probably got blow-by and such - also, since it's a B7, it's not the greatest engine to boost (longer trans than the Z6 + less power).

Either the LS or the B20 will be a BIG upgrade from what you're used to simply from the torque aspect. They're not motors that drop a ****-ton of horsepower at 90 kazillion RPM, but they have very respectable torque (the LS is only like 8ft-lbs tq. less than the GSR) which makes them good, solid, strong, motors.

Feel free to PM me if you have any "direct" Q's.

EDIT:
PS: Dont' be frayed by people telling you "The B20 is weak, it has weak sidewalls." or some crap like that. The B20 isn't weak, it's just not meant to wind up to 8500 RPM, it limits low (like 6200 IIRC). The problem with them is people tend to throw B16 heads on them then rev them up to 8200 RPM and end up toasting the block.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LS/B20. Research. It'll take you much longer than 1 weekend to get it done if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hurtgen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hurtgen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LS/B20. Research. It'll take you much longer than 1 weekend to get it done if you don't know what you're doing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

????? longer than one weekend? i did my first motor swap in 7 hours, alone. not to mention it was on a kia sephia, which i find hondas 10x easier.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 AM

Took me 9 hours by my self with no engine lift and a getto jack. I would stick with a b20/Ls, just because i can get complete swaps for less than 600 at my local junk yard. Plus knowing people that works at dealers/junk yard = good hook ups.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

????? longer than one weekend? i did my first motor swap in 7 hours, alone. not to mention it was on a kia sephia, which i find hondas 10x easier.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

seeing how the op is new here and plainly sounds like he has never worked on a car before... i was just telling him to find out what exactly he has to do in order to accomplish 'getting more power' in '1 weekend' 'spending as little as possible'.

hope he doesn't get half way and bail, that's all.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hurtgen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phyzJunkieCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Took me 9 hours by my self with no engine lift and a getto jack. I would stick with a b20/Ls, just because i can get complete swaps for less than 600 at my local junk yard. Plus knowing people that works at dealers/junk yard = good hook ups.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I am new on here, but not new to cars. Between my celica and my civic, i can't count how many times i've worked on them. But I also have two roommates that know all about civics and a guy that has worked on cars for 23 years to help me.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the job can be done over the weekend, it's really easy to do. but since you budget is around 2K, may i suggest something alittle cheaper but more power thanyour current set up. you can always go with a D16 (sohc vtec) or a LS (B18B) that's alittle more than the d16.</TD></TR></TABLE>

don't want to boost it, i have a new intake, a new exhaust, and that's it. to be honest, the motor is a 92 and it probably couldn't take the extra power well. It would eat up my engine.

and yes i did mean an ls engine, not an lx. I think i am going to go with the ls engine. thanks a lot guys. Also, does anyone know of a good place to search for things like that. I don't trust things i buy on ebay, and I'm willing to spend a little as long as I'm getting my money's worth.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine swap (Syndacate)

jax florida actually. not a fun ride but if you got a really good price i'd drive to get it. How much? How many miles?