Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Stalls When Starting On Incline or Decline

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Stalls When Starting On Incline or Decline

'95 Civic EX Coupe with B20B, manual transmission. No CEL.

Engine often stalls when starting on inclines and declines even on full tank of gas. Doesn't stall on them during normal driving and idling and doesn't stall on flat surfaces when starting. Also, often has a fuel odor after driving when shutting off engine. This has been going on for a month or more and I haven't spent much time tracking down the source but, there isn't any visible fuel leaks in engine bay. I haven't raised the car yet to check fuel lines.

The previous owner installed platics ties on both ends of hose that connects TB to fuel regulator and they pulled off easily so I replaced the plastic with clamps. Two months ago I replaced the fuel filler neck that was leaking. I removed and cleaned the TB and IACV a couple months ago that solve a high idle issue. A hunting idle (between 800-1200 rpms) persist though that occurs during deceleration close to stops/idle and last about 3-5 seconds then stabilizes (sometimes intermittent).

Previous owner said he replaced fuel pump a year ago but not sure if he replaced the fuel filter. The TB is from an integra that replaces the stock giraffe neck style. I plan to spend time with it tomorrow to search for vacuum, fuel leaks, test fuel pressure regulator by removing vacuum line and check for fuel leak and smell (ruptured bladder). Also, may replace fuel filter. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Jimi Hondrix; 04-11-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Engine Stalls When Starting On Incline or Decline

If you're talking about turning the key and having it seem to start, but then stall when you let go of the key, the thing to look for is whether the oil and battery lights come on after it stalls. Those lights should be on whenever the key is on but the engine is not turning. If they don't come on, you have a bad ignition switch.

If it's not that, start your checks by cleaning the IACV, a clean IACV is important for stable starting and idling.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine Stalls When Starting On Incline or Decline

Originally Posted by mk378
If you're talking about turning the key and having it seem to start, but then stall when you let go of the key, the thing to look for is whether the oil and battery lights come on after it stalls. Those lights should be on whenever the key is on but the engine is not turning. If they don't come on, you have a bad ignition switch.
I edited out the words that set off wierd Amazon links and should be full read now as I intended. I'll check those lights during ignition but, pretty sure that's not the issue.

Originally Posted by mk378
If it's not that, start your checks by cleaning the IACV, a clean IACV is important for stable starting and idling.
Described in updated initial post

Last edited by Jimi Hondrix; 04-11-2017 at 02:34 PM.