Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The engine stalls only when...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The engine stalls only when...

the clutch is released, (meaning foot off the clutch pedal), and some smoke is coming out from the flywheel cover after the engine stops running. Would you guess it's the:

- slave cylinder (appears the piston does not retract all the way when clutch pedal is released. When i push the piston into the slave cylinder by hand, the pedal sinks to the floor, but i think that is normal, because the pedal is stiff after depressing it and releasing once.

- master cylinder

- input shaft/bearing

- throwout bearing

- pressure plate

The engine runs with the clutch disengaged, oil pressure is 25psi cold. I bled the system a couple times, feels stiff, even though the pedal feels a bit spongy at the top' The engine stalls as soon as i release the pedal near the top. The stick is in neutral, flywheel is resurfaced, and the clutch is reused which looked good before installing. It's a new swap with no codes, and i didn't put the axles in yet...good thing. TIA for viewing or any input...

i.

Modified by JerseySiPOS at 5:22 AM 2/19/2007
Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The engine stalls only when... (JerseySiPOS)

maybe the input shaft froze, disk holding the flywheel when clutch is released...
Old 02-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say probably a siezed bearing in the tranny. When was the last time you checked the oil level in the tranny?
Old 02-14-2007, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (will_rex)

most of the tranny fluid was removed when i took the engine out. i didnt add any fluid when i swapped in the rebuild. didnt even put the axles in yet. anyway, i dropped the tranny to check the input shaft bearing.

i think its the isb or the thrust washers. when i think about it smoke was coming from the oil pan by the 4th main cap, not the flywheel cover.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Re: (JerseySiPOS)

add some fluid and see what happends.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Byrd Gang 021)

i was gonna start it up with fluid, but decided to drop the tranny, didnt want to risk anymore damage. the input shaft spins fine, i would like to check the isb though.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JerseySiPOS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JerseySiPOS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was gonna start it up with fluid, but decided to drop the tranny, didnt want to risk anymore damage. the input shaft spins fine, i would like to check the isb though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
If your ISB is bad, you should be able to grab the input shaft and move it around. Obviously if its good, it should be snugg with no play. You said it turns fine, but do you know if it is "in gear" or not? Try putting the tranny in each gear and turning the input shaft.
Do you know how to take apart your tranny? If not, seek professional help, or some one who's atleast done it before. It's not difficult to do, but I'd recommend having some one help that has some experience. If you have any questions, let me know.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (will_rex)

the shaft is real snug actually. i took the bolts out, just didnt remove the snap ring and didnt separate the case yet. i have to see if it spins in gear though...
Old 02-19-2007, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The engine stalls only when... (JerseySiPOS)

tranny housing, clutch housing, or block?