Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Shake / Speaker Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon5 Engine Shake / Speaker Issue

Hey guys, looking for some help w/ my 99 EX. I searched around and it didn't seem like others were having the same problem I was.

Here is the issue, My 99 EX auto has shuddering around 32 to 35 mph, but only if I try to hold the speed there. Almost like the throttle has a dead zone there. If I drop down or above that range it has no issues. Also no issues if I just accelerate or decelerate through that range. Car has 150k + on it, tranny shifts hard, not sure if thats normal though. I just had the IACV and TB out and cleaned, but the IACV is getting gummed up again.

Misc issue, the drivers side speaker cuts in and out. Its usually out but occasionally comes back on for a few minutes. I am guessing loose wire, would you check the headunit or the wiring at the door first?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Engine Shake / Speaker Issue

When was the last time the tranny fluid got replaced?
have u done the ignition tune up? Cap, rotor, wires, plugs (gap per fsm)...

Pull door panel off, check speaker wire. Then check at headunit if aftermarket. Stock speaker i assume? Probably going dead due to age.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:58 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

RE: Speaker problem

Seems the wires from the door to the body have a high tendency to break down over time.

Very common with these older civics, and everyone says routing fresh wires through that portion is no fun. I assume about as fun as trying to feed the antenna wire down the pillar to the left kick panel area. Definitely no fun.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic402lx
When was the last time the tranny fluid got replaced?
have u done the ignition tune up? Cap, rotor, wires, plugs (gap per fsm)...

Pull door panel off, check speaker wire. Then check at headunit if aftermarket. Stock speaker i assume? Probably going dead due to age.
Not sure, car is new to me, I have had it for about 3k miles. I am getting ready for an oil change so I will probably swap all fluids at that time and do the ignition tune up. Will report back later.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kevs02Accord
am getting ready for an oil change so I will probably swap all fluids at that time and do the ignition tune up. Will report back later.
Pull and inpsect the PCV valve while you have the oil filter off. Test it by shaking it and if it rattles it's working. If it doesn;t rattle or isn;t a Honda OE part then replace it. Here's a video:

Old 05-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Arise long dead thread.

So after fixing and selling my wife's Corolla I ran out of time, money, effort to fix the civic. Now I have a little more of all that and I am getting started.

I got the tune up kit, so plugs, wires, cap and rotor - still needs to go on.
I bought an oem IACV, after I cleaned the old one it was better for a while but I can tell its getting worse again. Still need to put this one.
I had some oil in the spark plug holes so I am going to replace the valve cover gasket as well. Still need to put on.

I did figure the issue with the speaker, it just died, not blown or anything just dead. Installed a new headunit, the old one was going bad any way. In process of installing new speakers all around.

Passenger window motor is broken so I need to replace that. I am debating on motor / regulator or just the motor, using aftermarket parts.

I havent checked the PCV valve. I will wait on that until I do my next oil / fluid changes, after I replace the other bits. Seems like a PIA to get to.

Updates to come.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some of these auto Hondas have a torque converter lock up shutter at that speed. Basically if you are a light throttle and right around that speed, the ecu gets confused and can't figure out if the torque converter should be locked or unlocked. A friend of mine had this issue on her civic and I am not sure if they ever found the issue. We did do about five drain and fills on the atf with no improvement...

For the speaker issue, first thing you should have done was swapped the left and right front speakers to isolate the known variables. That would have told you if it was just the speaker or if it was the head unit / wiring...
Old 05-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46
Some of these auto Hondas have a torque converter lock up shutter at that speed. Basically if you are a light throttle and right around that speed, the ecu gets confused and can't figure out if the torque converter should be locked or unlocked. A friend of mine had this issue on her civic and I am not sure if they ever found the issue. We did do about five drain and fills on the atf with no improvement...

For the speaker issue, first thing you should have done was swapped the left and right front speakers to isolate the known variables. That would have told you if it was just the speaker or if it was the head unit / wiring...
Interesting about the transmission, you're right, its only if I am at very light throttle when it does that. I am hoping the other maintenance items will solve the problem, otherwise I will have to look elsewhere.

Hit the nail on the head with the speaker. I was trying to use my multimeter but getting weird results, mainly because the wiring diagram I had, the wires were mixed up. Ended up doing as you said and swapped the working passenger speaker to the driver side and it worked. I ended up replacing the headunit because the volume **** wasnt working right.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My front driver oem speaker (2000 integra) went out for no apparent reason a few months ago too. I did this quick test to figure it out.

I wish I could help you more on your shaking issue. I would say research (Google) "Honda transmission torque converter shutter lock up problem" and maybe try to avoid that speed until you figure it out.
Maybe you just need a new torque converter, but that is a big job for a guess...
Old 07-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a little update.

Replaced the motor / regulator, did not work, ****....
Fast forward, pulled the door harness, 2 missing pins, replaced those and the window now works, too bad I bought a replacement, the old one was still good.
I got the radio up and working, sounds great, however, now I have a short some where. From what I can tell its the driver side speaker, which pisses me off since I was just into the door harness. I guess I should have checked every single pin before I buttoned everything back up.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got around to doing all the back logged repairs. Replaced plugs, wires, rotor and cap. New OEM IACV, new fuel pump and filter, new radiator, aftermarket starter (was going to rebuild the OEM, but it had already been replaced). Added foggies, SI grille, looks pretty nice, need to get some pics up. Adjusted all the valves, that was kind of a PITA. Got the speaker issue figured out, one of the door wires broke when the door slipped while putting it on the first time. Fortunately I didn't have to take the whole door off this time to fix it.

Still having the shaking issue, but I need to check the TPS and the PCV. Recently I have noticed that some times when I cold start the car the rpms surge, like when the IACV was dirty. This has me thinking PCV or TPS?