Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Selection Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Selection Help

Whats up everybody i got a 2000 honda civic hatch dx looking to get my engine on my next paycheck im kinda deciding between a b18c5 or an H22A and help to make my decision easier ? thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Selection Help

I had a JDM h22a in my old EK and loved it. But if you are going this route you should try to budget a new suspension in aswell, as the h22a is alot heavier.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:18 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you have a specific tech question to ask concerning the two? "Which is better?" doesn't help.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Havoc460
I had a JDM h22a in my old EK and loved it. But if you are going this route you should try to budget a new suspension in aswell, as the h22a is alot heavier.
well the type r is going to be alot more expensive, but If your a baller like that, then go with the b18c5. Ive had both, though the H22a has slightly more torque (like 15-20flbs), Its not that noticeable and its not worth the headache (IMO).
Old 11-29-2011, 05:25 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Havoc460
I'm so tired of this myth getting perpetuated. It's like 30lbs.

Relocate your battery. Run a motorcycle battery.

Hell most people don't keep A/C or PS. That stuff weighs a TON.

Not to mention if you eliminate the Balance shafts, as is recommended for the h22, that's another 20lbs.

A turbo kit, all the piping, A/C and PS probably weigh 150lbs+

Why is it that h22's are the only ones getting the "I'm a fat pig swap" mantra when other options are just as heavy if not heavier?

I'm not totally opposed to this type of thread if the discussion can be technical as to the benefits and negatives of certain setups. Please keep the information technical though. Weight, power, cost, etc.

Originally Posted by A lil 2.3l action
well the type r is going to be alot more expensive, but If your a baller like that, then go with the b18c5. Ive had both, though the H22a has slightly more torque (like 15-20flbs), Its not that noticeable and its not worth the headache (IMO).
It's more expensive, but 5 kinds of worth it to have the transmission that is associated with the b18c5. It makes the biggest difference between its alternative b-series counterparts.

And the h22 has more like 30ft/lbs of torque compared to b18s stock for stock. It's got 23% more displacement

What headache? Anyone swapping an h22 nowadays would be a moron not to use an h2b kit with a b-series transmission. It effectively is a b-series swap if you use the QSD kit.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2 to EK forever guy

Do you know how long people have been swapping Honda engine? Can't you make the effort of searching through the internet? Knowing that you are new to HT, you will quickly realize that these kind of question are not accepted in this community anymore.

not trying to flame... but please make an effort.

with that being said: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=B18C5+vs+H22
Old 11-29-2011, 06:17 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Bottom line is every engine is as good as the next. I personally would never swap a b16 in my car. But they are capable engines with good transmissions.

The cheapest way to go fast is boost. At that point the engine choice matters less and less.

If you want to go naturally aspirated, at this point there are really 3 options if you ask me:

1) H2b, most bang for buck
2) K20, also bang for buck but can tend to be a little more expensive
3) Build a b20vtec from scratch.

Otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot by starting with a small platform. You're working harder instead of working smart.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Libertariat
It's more expensive, but 5 kinds of worth it to have the transmission that is associated with the b18c5. It makes the biggest difference between its alternative b-series counterparts.

And the h22 has more like 30ft/lbs of torque compared to b18s stock for stock. It's got 23% more displacement

What headache? Anyone swapping an h22 nowadays would be a moron not to use an h2b kit with a b-series transmission. It effectively is a b-series swap if you use the QSD kit.
I agree, Its more benefitial to own the b18c5

From what I see on dyno's, its around 15-20. Im not reading off of the internet. But its whatever.

The h22 intails slightly more steps to swapping in a civic. b18's bolt right in where h22, you need swap mounts, wiring, etc. nothing crazy though.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Ek Forever y0!

You need the same parts to swap in an h2b that you do a b-series.

QSD h2b swaps use b-series mounts, linkage, clutch, etc. Everything is the same except the QSD kit and the engine. And the wiring of course.

You need B-series mounts to put a B-series engine in a civic. You need B-series mounts to put an h2b swap in a civic. I'm not following you.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Def the h22a. But that's just me. I hate USDM Type R's
Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 AM
The Grumpiest

I agree, Its more benefitial to own the b18c5

From what I see on dyno's, its around 15-20. Im not reading off of the internet. But its whatever.

The h22 intails slightly more steps to swapping in a civic. b18's bolt right in where h22, you need swap mounts, wiring, etc. nothing crazy though.
If you don't go H2B then it "entails" puzzle piecing together axles and some cutting among other things. I think you're operating on old information. I'll take 220 horsepower and 160 lbs of torque over any B-series any day. H-series respond pretty well to bolt-ons as well.

I think I'll go gather up some H2B dynos for my go-fast thread.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im talking about h22 swap (as in motor, trans, etc) The Op didnt say h2b.

H22a - 220hp 150 trq
b18c5 - 200hp 130 trq

Nothing crazy. Theres much support for both and there are pros and cons for both. You cant really go wrong with either. Its all what your preferences are.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 AM
The Grumpiest

WE said H2B. In this day and age it would be plain stupid NOT to use a B-series transmission mated to an H-series engine just for the ease of the installation itself.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude is rite. The USDM Type R is gonna cost more unless you get it for a deal. But if you don't, spend a little more and swap a K20 swap it. Def worth it.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
WE said H2B. In this day and age it would be plain stupid NOT to use a B-series transmission mated to an H-series engine just for the ease of the installation itself.

agreed. But why not just do a k20 swap then...
Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

even hasport will tell you for the money if ur swapping a h22 in a civic your better off swapping a k20 in for the price. as they al said a h2b would be the cheapest and best route for the h22
Old 11-29-2011, 08:13 AM
The Grumpiest

Cost. Ease of install.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Ek Forever y0!

agreed. But why not just do a k20 swap then...
Your logic is flawed. Maybe you should see how many h2b swaps are out there.

Cost and ease of install, readily available parts, some people just like shift linkages better than cable transmission.

The engines are really pretty similar in terms of performance. The k20 is definitely more expensive if you look at it objectively.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LouieV
Whats up everybody i got a 2000 honda civic hatch dx looking to get my engine on my next paycheck im kinda deciding between a b18c5 or an H22A and help to make my decision easier ? thanks
FIRST OF ALL who is going to do the swap? Are you going to do it yourself or have a shop do it? If you are gonna do it yourself and it will be your first motor swap do a B SERIES first. Later on down the road go for a H or K series motor swap AFTER you have at least 1 motor swap under your belt. A H/K series swap for your first motor swap is pretty unrealistic. BTW the type R motor is REALLY ****in Powerful!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by Steezer
FIRST OF ALL who is going to do the swap? Are you going to do it yourself or have a shop do it? If you are gonna do it yourself and it will be your first motor swap do a B SERIES first. Later on down the road go for a H or K series motor swap AFTER you have at least 1 motor swap under your belt. A H/K series swap for your first motor swap is pretty unrealistic. BTW the type R motor is REALLY ****in Powerful!!!
Swapping in an h2b into a civic is no different than swapping in a b-series. Same mounts and everything.

Banging your frame rail somehow makes it really complicated? With the Evo kit you don't even need to do that. The swap is literally 99% like a b-series.

The K-series I'll agree with since it's a totally different animal. It is from a MUCH newer car, more expensive parts, special mounts needed, cable shift, etc.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey new here and just trying to get my posts in.

Can you tell us more on what you are to do with the dx?
Do you want boost or n/a?
Do you just want something fun to drive or are you going to track it?
drag? or autocross?
how much money are u willing to spend on the engine alone?

all these are factors in what engine to select. please give us more info so we can answer your question
Old 11-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys just to clear some things up i am new and i apologize for being vague in my post i have my suspension already btw and i have done some research just a couple of questions
-from my understanding the h22a has the same hp but more torque and its pretty much similar to swapping in a b series
-i have seen people talk about getting a b18c1 with a b16 head not sure how much i would be pushing or any specs but i read that its almost as good as a b18c5 and cheaper is this true ?
-i mean i can spend the money i just dont want to rush into anything and gather up some info to have a better knowledge wich is why i appreciate all the comments thanks again guys.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Ek Forever y0!

You need to quit listening to people. A b-series doesn't stand a chance in a naturally aspirated competition against an h22.

Probably has something about .4L more displacement. A b20 might do it, but it will require a bit of internal work and swapping the head to a vtec. A big more involved than dropping in an h2b.

Quit worrying about horsepower.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 PM
The Grumpiest

For some it seems to be a numbers game instead of a performance game.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go with a B-series if this is your first swap. I just did my first swap(b18c). It was very straight foward and had alot of fun doing it. I have a stock gsr in a ex and power wise, it is very fun to drive. I would quit worrying about hp gains and stock crank horse. You need to figure out what you really wana do with this car and how much ya wanna spend on it and go from there.

Quick Reply: Engine Selection Help