Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Running Rough After Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Running Rough After Seafoam

I own a 1995 Honda Civic LX with the 1.5L and automatic transmission well the other day I used a 1/3 can of Seafoam to clean the fuel system I sucked it up through the brake booster line let it sit for 15 min cranked it up and let it smoke all the smoke out. Then I took it for a small drive I noticed the car started to miss at idle and then when I would give it gas it would bog down and miss its been doing this now for a week I used the gas I had in it then refilled it with Premium gas to see if it helped it did not ive pulled the plugs they look fine I replaced the PCV Valve and still it continues to miss I dont know why it would be doing this as to the car was running comp. fine before I used the Seafoam Ive ordered a fuel filter its on its way and I will install it when it comes in but if any of you guys have any advice or opinions it would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Running Rough After Seafoam

Seaform in the intake has been known to foul out the spark plugs so try some new ones and see.
Other then that it may have losses up a clog that was holding compression.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK I GUESS ILL GET SOME NEW PLUGS TO TRY OUT.......... IS THERE ANY SENSOR THAT I MIGHT HAVE THROWN OFF OR ANYTHING FROM RUNNING THE SEAFOAM IN THERE
Old 05-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SO I CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER IT DIDNT DO ANYTHING AND IT STARTED MISSING WORSE AND WORSE SO I PUT NEW PLUGS ON YESTERDAY THE CAR RAN LIKE IT USED TO SMOOTH AND I WAS HAPPY THINKING THE PROBLEM WAS FIXED WELL ABOUT 50 MILES LATER IT STARTED MISSING AGAIN SO NOW I KNOW THE NEW PLUGS FIXED MY PROBLEM BUT IT ONLY LASTED ABOUT 50 MILES SO WHAT COULD CAUSE THE PLUGS TO GO BAD THAT FAST SHOULD I CHANGE THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR AND WIRES OR CHECK THE FUEL PRESSURE THE PLUGS LOOKED SLIGHTLY ASHY WHEN I PULLED THEM OUT POSSIBLY RUNNING TO RICH?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

300+ views and only 1 person has replied theres got to be somebody with some ideas on here It looked like there were alot of experienced members on here..........
Old 05-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance you did not reconnect the vacuum hose properly or pulled another off somewhere else by mistake and have a vacuum leak?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xile6
Seaform in the intake has been known to foul out the spark plugs so try some new ones and see.
Other then that it may have losses up a clog that was holding compression.

This guy's right.

I just did the same on my Y8, Smoked the **** out of it as per usual.
Its best to do the Seafoam burn out with a fresh set of plugs ready, That's usually how i retire my plugs on any engine but especially so on my Y8.
Also consider what plugs you're using, I find NGK Iridium IX work best in my Y8,and NGK's in general.

If you have knocked some significant crud loose then either run V-power (93 octane) for a few tanks to burn it up, or remove the cylinder head and valves and clean clean clean.Option two isnt favorable of course, witch makes the Seafoam burn out a cautionary thing to do. It can do good things, but also BAD things.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hope u didn't use autolite plugs these sucks on single cam motors had this happen once and i only got autolites because the auto parts store was out of ngk plus for a week gl.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea when I changed the plugs it ran great for about 50 miles then it started missing again
Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As stated. seafoam is know to foul plugs. You are supposed to change your oil emediately after seafoam, and again after 300 miles from what I've alwaqys read.

My guess? You probably had so much carbon build up, that the carbon itself was what was keeping the car running smooth (IE vacumme leaks/valve seal leaks) and removeing the carbon is what is now causing your car ro run rough.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Melted your o2 sensor causing rich condition, fouling your plugs. Test o2 sensor best you can with multimeter, or just replace. Or get a Honda obd 1 scanner ( old style ones on eBay )
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wonder squirrel
Any chance you did not reconnect the vacuum hose properly or pulled another off somewhere else by mistake and have a vacuum leak?

Im pretty sure everythings hooked back up right. I will check everything again I did change the PCV Valve at the same time I did the Seafoam the inlet for the PCV valve was really gunky
Old 05-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didnt have time to mess with it today I did drive it alittle ways today and it started something new it would rev itself up to 1200 then drop down to 500 and continued to do it over and over again at idle any idea why it would do that?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That sounds ALOT like a vaccum leak.

Check the brake booster vaccum hose you pulled for the seafoam trick and make sure its on good and tight. Im not sure of any other vaccum hoses but im sure there are others.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Can you explain a little more clearly how you "sucked up" the seafoam? Also what type of plugs did you use?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the gap on spark plugs. Also, check your fuel injectors... may be super gunky still.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ttown
Didnt have time to mess with it today I did drive it alittle ways today and it started something new it would rev itself up to 1200 then drop down to 500 and continued to do it over and over again at idle any idea why it would do that?
That sounds like your IACV needs cleaning.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would take out and clean the IACV if that doesnt work I would let the engine warm up and adjust idle by jumping your obd1 clip unplugging the IACV adjusting the screw on the throttle body, turn off the car, plug everything back up and turn the car back on and see if that helped. Maybe a vacuum leak look behind your intake manifold and see if theirs anything unplugged.