Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Pressure Question under load.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Pressure Question under load.

My car has been acting funny from low rmp underload and high rpm high underload.
I dont know what the problem is i know i need a head gasket not badly but need one non the less. When the car is running and up to temp i pull the oil cap off the valve cover and there is a real real strong air pressure coming out the valve cover like the exhaust kinda strong, why is this??

no overheat but ani-frezz keeps going out.
very small white smoke coming out the exhaust constantly.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Pressure Question under load.

i wonder if you blew the ringlads of the pistons when you take the oil cap off does some smoke come out of the valve cover?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No smoke just lots of air pressure , is there air suppose to come out of the valve cover at all??

smoke only out the tail pipe.

its turbo and no overheating, but at low rpm the motor cuts in and out, runs smooth aslong as i dont get on it then same for high, if i start out slow and hold the rpm slowly the motor feels like the power (strength) is cutting in and out not like above what i said about the motor cutting on/off like.

first it thought it was ,regulator, fuel , pump , injectors, spark, wire , filter, dizzy, all checked out ok , i pulled the plugs out one by motor ran fine on all 4 off one by one.

what would happen if the fuel regulator was bad??
Old 02-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like the ring lands are bad. Do a compression/leakdown test. I had a buddy with a car that did this, it ended up being the ring lands on all 4 pistons. They were cracked all the way around. In numerous places. His dip-stick would pop out too. But this doesn't explain the white smoke. That is for sure the headgasket. But it would explain the sputtering. Have you checked the plugs for oil? How many miles are on the motor? There shouldn't be a lot of pressure out of the valve cover. Mine makes some though. Just enough to feel. GL man!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lots of pressure out valve cover, yeah an no oil in frezz or on plugs, i changed the fuel filter and the car ran noticably better more like alot better, but it still white smoke and some to very little sputter threw some rpm and acceration like inbetween gear changes and stuff. the motor was rectenly built when i bought it so he say never got a chance to open the motor since then , Ran great when i bought the car, should i check the compression even befor i try to swap head gasket or hope for the best and check after????