Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine prep?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine prep?

I have an engine im about to swap in. It has been sitting, on top of a palette, with a tarp and hood covering it, for abuot a year. I am taking it to a shopped to be prepped to drop in and what to kno what i should tell them to do... ? flush it, clean the block (exterior is dirty as ****) , compression/leakdown test, what else?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^
Old 10-04-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

are you kidding me? just do it all in your garage. no sense in paying someone else to do that.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Re: (fantabulous)

well do what you mentioned, then i would say the timing belt, water pump, clutch, flywheel(if you have the money, but easier with it out of the engine than with it in). There shouldn't be oil in it so remember to put that in. Tranny fluid. Just basic routine tune-up procedure should do the trick.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool, it has just been sitting for a while and i wanted to know if there was any special kind of prepping the INSIDE would need at all becuase it has sat for so long...
Old 10-04-2004, 01:34 PM

you might want to run some seafom through but i don't think it should have a problem. just clean the outside with standard engine cleaner. change plugs, rotor, and dizzy cap.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine prep? (turbotime)

I'd pull all of the spark plugs out and make sure you can turn the engine over by hand (i.e. wrench on the pully bolt). If it's not turning over by hand you might have some rust buildup in the cylinders. Maybe squirt some oil in the holes first to protect the cylinder walls too.

I'd change the oil, replace the water pump and timing belt if you don't know how old they are too. At least pull the tranny off and take a look at the clutch assembly. Like the others said it would be far easier to replace it now than later when the engine is installed.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Engine prep? (nonsense)

dont for get to prime ur motor before you start it. i put capful of motor oil thru the spark plug holes, then turned motor over by hand. should be really hard at first, but should get easier. when you go to start it up, if you have a batt charger, connect that, unplug your injectors. crank engine for 10 secs. let it sit for a minute so you wont burn out your starter. repeat process for a couple times to make sure you have oil flowing through your block to the critical places. like the others said, do as much as you can with the motor already out of the car.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i guess since we are going into replacing parts i can tell you what new/old:

Im getting a new tranny, ls teg, hydro with quife lsd
exedy clutch / pressure plate
skunk2 IM
64mm TB

All those are getting put on by my mechanic, while the engine is out of the car.

When the engine was taken out of the original car (93 gsr) it ran fine but wouldnt go into gear. So you think i need to replace the waterpump/dizzy/starter at all?

Thanks, good info here!

Old 10-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When the engine was taken out of the original car (93 gsr) it ran fine but wouldnt go into gear. So you think i need to replace the waterpump/dizzy/starter at all?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess that depends on how many miles it had on it. If the waterpump hasn't been changed, or you don't know how log aga it was changed you might as well replace it (along with the timing belt). It's pretty cheap insurance if you ask me.

As far as the dizzy and starter go, as long as they work there's no need to replace them. You might want to change the dist. cap, rotor, wires and plugs. It all depends on the condition of the stuff that's on there though.