Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine not starting

I am having a problem with my engine not starting. I have a D15 VTEC with a P08 computer.

when the engine is cold the car will start fine, but once i drive it and the engine warms up, stop switch the car off and once i try to start it again the check engine light comes on and the car will not start. The engine turns over but just does not start.

I tried the diagnostics on the computer and got CEL codes 14 and 17.
I also borrowed another P08 Computer to see if that would solve the problem but nothing. it still does it

if i drive the car, stop turn off. i have to wait about 15-20 mins before i can get it restarted. and the car does this ever drive.

has anyone had this kind of problem ?
anyone know what it would be or how i can fix it?

the car does not have some of the emmissions that the US Civics, my civic is originally form Japan ( RHD and came with the D15 VTEC)

Old 06-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine not starting (eg6madness)

any ideas anyone. it is kindda fustrating and i would like to get the problem solved
Old 06-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Check your main relay.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:21 PM

sounds like you have a case of vapor lock. the gas in your fuel lines is evaporating. when your engine is hot and you shut your car off. the heat from the engine could be heating your fuel lines excessively cousing air bubbles to form from evaporating fuel. it usely happenes in carburated engines but it does happen in fuel injected vehicles as well. that could be the cause. good luck with the prob.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Engine not starting (924drcivic)

bump for someone to give him a hand....
Old 06-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Engine not starting (allmotorsi04)

i would get rid of the CEL's and see if that helps, IAC and VSS dont seem to be any part of the problem though.

does the cel come on every time you drive it?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine not starting (SSBPGSR)

where can i find the main relay?

if it is the vapor lock problem how can i fix it ?

when i turn the ignition on i hear like a short 5 sec hum ( sounds like an electronic fuel pump or something this is the closest thing i can think of that it sounds like, it sounds like it comes form the right side of the engine (crank pulley side)),i dont know what it is exactly but when the car doesnt start i dont hear it.

this hum sounds when i turn the ignition on and it will sound when the check engine light comes on and it will stop when it goes off.

do all fuel injected hondas start with the check engine light coming on when the ignition is turned on ?

do you guys hear that hum when you start your hondas ?

I do not have an aftermarket fuel pump or any fuel accessories of any sort .
Old 06-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine not starting (SSBPGSR)

the CEL doesnt come on every time i drive it , it will sometimes but not always.

i see the CEL once i turn every time i turn the ignition on. it will stay on for about 5 secs ( with the hum i mentioned above) then it will go off.

when the car doenst start the CEL just stays on ( no hum or anything). I can turn the key and the engine will turn over but it will not start.

Basically it sounds like a car trying to start that is not getting any spark.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine not starting (aallbbeerrtttttt)

is the main relay a fuse like device. or is it like a big wire harness connector (white) with a bunch of wires going in and coming out .
Old 06-13-2006, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 06-13-2006, 12:19 PM

the main relay looks like a big relay. mine was brown and it costed me 50.00. the humming is probably the fuel pump building pressure for start up. sence the fuel comes on every now and then. it sounds like the contacts in the relay are starting to burn up. when the contacts burn they dont alow for good contact make your relay become crappy. pull the relay out and check for continuety between the contacts. a haynes or chiltons manual is alot of help for this. i made a mistake on mine. i bought a fuel pump when i should of bought the relay first. could have saved me 50.00. once you find out thats your problem then check out mil light.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine not starting (924drcivic)

got it fixed. thanks alot guys . it was the main relay.

i have another problem the car idles high. when i brake to a stop it drops then it jumps all the way back up to 1300-1500 RPM. is this the IACV? how can i fix this?

when i get home i'll post some pics of the car for your guys. wait how do i post pics here ?
Old 06-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6madness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got it fixed. thanks alot guys . it was the main relay.

i have another problem the car idles high. when i brake to a stop it drops then it jumps all the way back up to 1300-1500 RPM. is this the IACV? how can i fix this?

when i get home i'll post some pics of the car for your guys. wait how do i post pics here ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's only when you brake, it's probably a leak in the diaphragm of the brake booster. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine not starting (Archidictus)

It drops and comes back up to 1500 RPM..... but even if i start up it idles at 1300-1500.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:48 PM

where did you find a main relay replacement if i might ask?...I'm currently having starting issues in my EM1--engine will not start and I've been told that the main relay might be the culprit--checking it the next chance I get (cars in storage ) in case I do need one is it a Honda only or can I get it anywhere?