Engine intermittently dying at stops

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 05:41 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine intermittently dying at stops

Trying to fix a lady's car for her.
1995 civic 1.6
story: she drives at night about 30 minutes to work. Says car dies at some stop lights and takes a couple tries to start back up.

I can't get the engine to die on me but when it's hot i noticed the idle rpms drop from about 800 to about 300 when i press the brake.

Parts that were replaced before i started working on the car include. Distributer, plugs and wires, starter, fuel filter and battery.

What I've done: confirmed brake booster check valve is good. Cleaned throttle body, IAC valve, and intake manifold then reset ecu. Voltage reading on battery and alternator check good. Can't find any vacuum leaks (carb cleaner method). Confirmed no oil in dizzy cap.
I did find cooling fan relay bad. Replaced and still have the same symptoms.
No cel
Any ideas? Thx
Old 08-08-2018, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Re: Engine intermittently dying at stops

Originally Posted by Stinquinn1
Trying to fix a lady's car for her.
1995 civic 1.6
story: she drives at night about 30 minutes to work. Says car dies at some stop lights and takes a couple tries to start back up.

I can't get the engine to die on me but when it's hot i noticed the idle rpms drop from about 800 to about 300 when i press the brake.

Parts that were replaced before i started working on the car include. Distributer, plugs and wires, starter, fuel filter and battery.

What I've done: confirmed brake booster check valve is good. Cleaned throttle body, IAC valve, and intake manifold then reset ecu. Voltage reading on battery and alternator check good. Can't find any vacuum leaks (carb cleaner method). Confirmed no oil in dizzy cap.
I did find cooling fan relay bad. Replaced and still have the same symptoms.
No cel
Any ideas? Thx
‘the RPM drop with the brake is probably the master cylinder, my car is doing that also and I figure it’s not far of from replacement, but I don’t think that’s the issue. My main relay is going out and it usually won’t crank first time daily on me, I give the underdash of my car a good slap and I hear the relay kick on and my fuel pump starts to run. If the relay is going out, it controls the fuel pump and ignition devices such as distributor and injectors. The main relay cost around 30.00 I think and would be a good thing to just swap out and could be your problem