Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine is idling weird... how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine is idling weird... how to fix?

Well after putting in a Spoon Chipped ECU in my friends b18c1, the idling has changed. His engine is stock and it idles like he's got some aggressive cams or something. Are chipped ECU's suppose to idle like that or is this just a minor problem that can be solved?
Old 01-22-2003, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Engine is idling weird... how to fix? (kimchee_power)

my guess is its something to do with the timing... but you probably already knew that. my SOHC started idling wierd when i put on an adjustable timing gear... obviously different aftermarket parts, but might be similar cause of problem? goodluck...
Old 01-22-2003, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Engine is idling weird... how to fix? (Killer B Hatch)

i knew that cams would do it, but i never knew ecu's would change the timing? can someone help me out? thanks.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:13 PM

yes the ecu can change the timing it runs everything from the fuel intake to the fuel intake to the spark = timing. solution get a timing light check the timing. if its off you must adjust loosen the distributer bolts a little bit (just enough to move the dist. back & forth. mark your dist where its at before you change things with a pencil or somthing) the computer will adjust with either fuel, air, or spark for your timing adjustment so you have to start from scratch find the timing mark the block should have a marking to tell you where tdc is and the crank pully will have a red & a white line your looking for the red line to match up with the tdc mark on the block. de-vance your timing all the way and slowly make adjustments till you reach the approiate timing. i dont know the specs for idle on your car but its probably arround 650-700 rpm. line up the marks and tighten bolts on the dist. take it for a test drive but be easy on it. if it misses than you didnt do it right try again. if it lags a bit try advancing the timing a little but not too far. when you advance timing you provide spark before tdc (top dead center) which a little is good your wanting to egnite as much fuel as possable on each stroke so the more burn time the better but when you de-vance the timing you fire late which causes misfires which is bad. this just happened to me the car shook like i had real hot cams in it than I got a check engine light while smoking and acura and ran the engine diag. tester on it I misfired cyl. # 1 lucllie I didnt mess anything up but quickly fixed the problem. also before going through all that mess you might (which may sound stupid) check your ign. sys. i.e. spark plugs , wires , cap , & roter. a ruff idle is never good.hope this helps defenatly check the timing. good luck let me know how it turns out.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Engine is idling weird... how to fix? (cp_harrington)

holy crap... that's a long post.

thanks for all the info.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:32 PM

sorry bout it being long but I just went through that crap of the timing I went from smokin gt's to watchin tail lights from civic dx's let me tell ya that sucks I lit it up on a buddy with a 96 integra and my check engine light came on so I ran the test and checked my timing made the proper adj. and im back to sokin gt's its great. I gained a bit more tourq or at least it feels like it my car's goin on the dyno this fri. I just aded a new exaust and header so I wana see what the results were. plus I get free dyno time so hey why not?