Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine experts - Troubleshooting noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine experts - Troubleshooting noise

Well I started to hear a new engine noise last night and again this AM. I thought I would get on here and see if anyone has had the same. I obviously can not reproduce it here but I will describe it.

It sound like a low end "whurring" noise at low idle. I heard it as i down shifted at first but this morning it was making the noise at start up idle. I rev the motor up and it will stop.

It has gotten cold the last 2 days so I think that may have some thing to do with it but I am not sure. I drive 30 miles one way to work so when I got to work today I let it idle and I didn't hear it.

I am pretty sure it's not the transmission. The engine has 125k on it with no issues ever. Timing belt has NOT been changed. The only other thing is a squeaky power steering pump pulley that I wd-40 to stop the noise about 2 or times a month. I still have original belts also.

Any thoughts? Does the timing belt stretch and if so could it be cause the noise due to a slightly untimed engine?

Modified by Zumo at 7:05 AM 11/17/2006
Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine experts - Troubleshooting noise (Zumo)

THE PLUGS
Old 02-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine experts - Troubleshooting noise (Zumo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zumo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I started to hear a new engine noise last night and again this AM. I thought I would get on here and see if anyone has had the same. I obviously can not reproduce it here but I will describe it.

It sound like a low end "whurring" noise at low idle. I heard it as i down shifted at first but this morning it was making the noise at start up idle. I rev the motor up and it will stop.

It has gotten cold the last 2 days so I think that may have some thing to do with it but I am not sure. I drive 30 miles one way to work so when I got to work today I let it idle and I didn't hear it.

I am pretty sure it's not the transmission. The engine has 125k on it with no issues ever. Timing belt has NOT been changed. The only other thing is a squeaky power steering pump pulley that I wd-40 to stop the noise about 2 or times a month. I still have original belts also.

Any thoughts? Does the timing belt stretch and if so could it be cause the noise due to a slightly untimed engine?

Modified by Zumo at 7:05 AM 11/17/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure like most cars (I don't know for sure on hondas) that the timing belt has an auto tensioner so I doubt that's it.

Contrary to what Joey said, I doubt it's the plugs.

I would change your timing belt soon, any honda/acura enigne that I know of is an interference engine so when u snap ur timing belt you have a VERY high chance of turning your valves into pretzels. It's supposed to be changed at around 90k.

As for the noise.

Diagnosis steps based on what you said:
1) Open door
2) Pop hood
3) Open hood
4) Start car
5) Lean over engine
6) <u>try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from</u>.

I doubt you didn't know this - so why didn't you try to pin point the noise? Do that, it can help everybody a lot better.