Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Damper B.S. or Really works?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Damper B.S. or Really works?

Do you guyz think this is worth the money or B.S. or get better motor mounts?

Old 02-27-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Engine Damper B.S. or Really works? (stpcivicguy)

It really works.

Combined with motors mounts = stiffer

Motor mounts overall offer a lot more stiffness.

But the engine damper is much easier to install.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally think it is BS. I would just rather have a full set of poly mounts.

I mean look do you see some 10sec cars with this crap on them?

I have personally never seen one on a fast car. Only show crap.

Just My Opinion though. ( and we know everybody has one.)

Brian
Old 02-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

poo. Urethane better.

Modified by Turbo E 604 at 9:03 PM 2/27/2004
Old 02-27-2004, 11:22 AM

U Track DRAG GUYZ what do you think?
Is it even worth your time to install?

Old 02-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo E 604)

just another jdm bling. but it do look nice. but i rather have jimfab mounts or motor mount inserts.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would think the engine dampener would reduce the vibrations from the engine (like liquid filled mounts), but appearantly it makes the engine sit stiffer.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stpcivicguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">U Track DRAG GUYZ what do you think?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

worth it if you got $ to burn.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:33 AM
kr
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Damper B.S. or Really works? (Spoon Spec EK)

i dont think it is worth it i would rather spend some cash on some poly mounts.

But i think if you dont want to change your mounts then yes this is a good upgrade.
other then that it is just a show piece.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Damper B.S. or Really works? (kr)

does anybody that posted actually have the part in question? I would like to hear from people that have used it, and get there opinion
Old 02-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you would think the engine dampener would reduce the vibrations from the engine (like liquid filled mounts), but appearantly it makes the engine sit stiffer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

this is what i thought it would do also.... are there adjustjments on them?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BigZ88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigZ88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this is what i thought it would do also.... are there adjustjments on them? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah you can set the preload on them.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

i had one on my EK hatch. i loved it. I got it right when it came out. I have since sold the car. I had poly inserts in the 2 lower torque mounts on an older coupe and it shook the hell out of my dash. With this i just put the poly insert on the tranny mount and just this and the engine was just as stiff but I had ZERO dash rattle. It's good if you want the engine stiff and don't want to rattle the **** out of the whole interior. And it helps to cut down on wheel hop when launching.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you would think the engine dampener would reduce the vibrations from the engine (like liquid filled mounts), but appearantly it makes the engine sit stiffer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it does both. it cuts way down on vibrations (compared to poly) and keeps the engine from moving. works really well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurbodCX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally think it is BS. I would just rather have a full set of poly mounts.

I mean look do you see some 10sec cars with this crap on them?

I have personally never seen one on a fast car. Only show crap.

Just My Opinion though. ( and we know everybody has one.)

Brian</TD></TR></TABLE>

have you ever tried it. probably not. Then your opinion is worthless.

Would you wanna drive a 10sec car daily on the street? Probably not. Cause they just have solid mounts.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stpcivicguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">U Track DRAG GUYZ what do you think?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

absolutely. big

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think it is worth it i would rather spend some cash on some poly mounts.

But i think if you dont want to change your mounts then yes this is a good upgrade.
other then that it is just a show piece.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn, all these opinions and none of you guys even used it.

not a show piece at all.

this is why h-t blows sometimes. people give opinions and have no idea what they're talking about and other people actually listen.

And yes, like mentioned you can set preload to basically adjust how stiff you want it.

s
Old 02-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stevel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you ever tried it. probably not. Then your opinion is worthless.

damn, all these opinions and none of you guys even used it.

this is why h-t blows sometimes. people give opinions and have no idea what they're talking about and other people actually listen.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you. I keep getting the same feeling around here. I have asked things only to be reassured that they worked, then find out myself it does not. Thanks for your firsthand experience. Would this one work on a D series EK or do they make one for the D?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thank you. I keep getting the same feeling around here. I have asked things only to be reassured that they worked, then find out myself it does not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, and then there's the other people that said they'd rather have poly mounts or inserts. Yeah, well I had just inserts before and man it was nice on a road course or the drag strip but it sucked daily driving it. The dash vibration annoyed the **** outta me. That's why I jumped on this when it came out. Use this with just the poly insert on the rear tranny mount and it's a sweet combo.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Would this one work on a D series EK or do they make one for the D?</TD></TR></TABLE>

not sure on that. alot of people asked me that. I had a b16 swap in my EK with the b16 style mount and it worked for that. It would not have worked with the b18 mount in an EK though. If the b16 mount is the same as the D series it would work.

s
Old 02-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it does both. it cuts way down on vibrations (compared to poly) and keeps the engine from moving. works really well.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahh ok... i was just reading someone's post on how he just got one, and it made his steering wheel/cabin vibrate more.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ahh ok... i was just reading someone's post on how he just got one, and it made his steering wheel/cabin vibrate more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Of course its going to raise vibration some, but not as much as poly inserts. Poly inserts rattle EVERYTHING in the front of your car pretty much. The damper will raise that a bit over stock because it's stiffening your motor mounts too.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ahh ok... i was just reading someone's post on how he just got one, and it made his steering wheel/cabin vibrate more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it might do that if you give it too much preload. Tell him to back off on the preload to get a happy medium.

s
Old 02-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i also agree with you on everything you said and i think i will order one because i really don't want my car to fall apart because of vibrations, i don't want to deal with it it seems like an ingenious design and i think it would work
Old 02-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine dampener... dampens engine movement. In turn this little device is supposed to reduce the movement of the engine, not the vibrations. If the engine is moving around power is not being used to the best it can be. I hardly doubt that this little mini bling shock absorber does anything, in fact it was being mocked in a Option magazine where they made one out of a rear window gas shock.

Just my opinion on it though.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Of course its going to raise vibration some, but not as much as poly inserts. Poly inserts rattle EVERYTHING in the front of your car pretty much. The damper will raise that a bit over stock because it's stiffening your motor mounts too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i dunno. if you adjust the preload right ( i had mine set pretty tight ) and I didn't notice ANY over stock at all. It's basically a shock absorber absorbing the vibration and keeping it from moving.

s
Old 02-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Damper B.S. or Really works? (KOALA YUMMIES)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KOALA YUMMIES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Engine dampener... dampens engine movement. In turn this little device is supposed to reduce the movement of the engine, not the vibrations. If the engine is moving around power is not being used to the best it can be. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. It keeps the engine from moving AND absorbs the vibrations instead of passing them into the cabin. It does BOTH!!

By the way, it's damper, not dampener. Two different things.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KOALA YUMMIES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I hardly doubt that this little mini bling shock absorber does anything</TD></TR></TABLE>

more people talking out of there ***

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KOALA YUMMIES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> in fact it was being mocked in a Option magazine where they made one out of a rear window gas shock.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, if you compared this damper to a rear window gas shock i could totally understand how what they had sucked. I can compress a window shock with my hands. This thing is really hard to compress and is pretty stiff. The application they grabbed it from explains why there's sucked.

Damn, with all the advocating I do of these things I should sell them. It just pisses me off when people offer up opinions and they have ZERO clue what they're talking about.

s

Old 02-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Engine Damper B.S. or Really works? (stevel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
By the way, it's damper, not dampener. Two different things.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

seriously, i cant believe this thread went so long without someone stepping in and correcting it.

actually, id like to know who made the damper shown above. silver's? where to get in US? something like this is needed for ppl like me interested in road racing where rules dont allow modifying stock engine mounts, but you can add stay rods. whether this is a legal "stay rod" is another issue...

btw, my guess is that its not oil filled, but has a shock absorbant material inside like rubber or polyurethane since it only has to control energy in one direction. you guys should consider this before discounting it.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:16 PM

great thread...i've been wondering about these myself
Old 02-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Damper B.S. or Really works? (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

silver's? where to get in US? something like this is needed for ppl like me interested in road racing where rules dont allow modifying stock engine mounts, but you can add stay rods. whether this is a legal "stay rod" is another issue...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.jdmhondaparts.com sells the J's racing one.

http://www.aj-racing.com sells the Mr. Alex Torque Damper

http://www.silvers-racing.com is where the above one comes from. I don't see it anywhere on the site but have heard they do carry it if you call.

then there's http://www.kingsmart.com.hk/pr...yword

I had the Mr. Alex one that I got from A&J racing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

btw, my guess is that its not oil filled, but has a shock absorbant material inside like rubber or polyurethane since it only has to control energy in one direction. you guys should consider this before discounting it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're correct. it's got a really hard rubber bushing of sorts in there that absorbs the impact.

where did you see this pic? thread link plz!

s

Quick Reply: Engine Damper B.S. or Really works?