Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine cutting out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cutting out.

Ok. I have put a b18c into a 2000 EK9. Car runs great. No check lights on. I used the b16b harness on the b18c and have a obd2b to obd2a conversion harness so I can run a p72 ecu.

Had the car out for a couple runs everything was great. On the way home and all of a sudded the check light started flashing really fast. There was also a very fast clicking noise coming from what sounded like the main ignition relay.

Put a new relay in and still nothing. Notice that when you turn the ignition to on the check light is very dim. Check all connections on the engine. Check all grounds everything was fine. Car turns over but wont start. Went to check for spark and not sure if it was just the timing but the car started. Put the spark plug wire back on and it ran fine. The check light was nice and bright before start up and as soonn as it started it was off.

Now 3 hours later it has done the same thing. Check light is dim and the clicking from the relay.

Any help would be great as I am stumped.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine cutting out.

honestly sounds like you have a ground issue.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly it sounds like you have a loose battery cable i have had this happen before when the positive lead was loose or not getting good contact... think simple
Old 03-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All the grounds are good I have checked them a couple times. Dash lights are nice and bright car turns over no prob just wont fire. But the check light is still very dim. I got it to start a couple times and then the check light starts flickering and the clicking which I am thinking is the main relay starts again and the car cuts out. Now it wont start at all.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
honestly it sounds like you have a loose battery cable i have had this happen before when the positive lead was loose or not getting good contact... think simple
Would the positive cable being lose caust that though. I know you can run a car with out the battery its just not good for the alt.

Cables are all tight though and still nothing.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok been through the car. Tried another relay. Another ecu still getting the same dim check light and the car wont start.

All grounds are good.

Any thoughts guys.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know you said you checked the grounds already but i have to be an *** and tell you just make sure that the ground by the thermostat housing is tight and the ground on the transmission is nice and tight. i've had problems very similar to yours because of this. also when your car does that where it dims out you should check and see how much voltage your alt is putting out. also double check your fuses in the engine bay. as they will sometimes mess up and not be visible to where they broke at.

hope this helps keep us posted
Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it sorted now. It was the ground by the thermostat. Was very tight so thought it was good. Turns out the connecter was broken that that the wires car crimped into. So it was only making connection everynow and then. New connecter on problem solved.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

figured it was something from there those things will trick you! Glad you got it running dude!!