Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

engine build suggestions ideas help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine build suggestions ideas help

so im new here but looking for some advice suggestions im running a d16z6 in my ej1 i just did a full rebuild so its a fresh engine. but im gonna be gettin some track time in it while being my daily im looking to make 175 hp while being on a budget. so this is the list of parts im thinkin about if any suggestions or places to get parts cheap help please thanks
bisimoto cam stage 1
skunk 2 intake mani
68mm throttle boddy
some kind of headers no idea on good brand
some kind of intake maybe trying to make a custom
2 1/4 inch exhaust piping with seabring racing exhaust
proper tune
also lookin for some good coilovers that are adjustable dampining i found megan coils for 630 got a set of tien basic on there now just to soft any help on great handeling will be appreciated too thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine build suggestions ideas help

no way you are going to get 175hp with bolt-ons... since its a fresh build, go with a turbo. its the only way to make decen power on the d-series motors.... there are people who spent thousands on a N/A d16 and made around 175hp
Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vartok
no way you are going to get 175hp with bolt-ons... since its a fresh build, go with a turbo. its the only way to make decen power on the d-series motors.... there are people who spent thousands on a N/A d16 and made around 175hp
I agree 100% with this. I Would put a turbo on it
Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright well I'm trying to avoid turbo since it is my daily plus I'm trying to see the kind of numbers i can pull off of na more satisfying what do you guys think the hp figure would be the cam intake mani and a port n polish would be the big hp gains i figured the cam would be about 12 hp and same for the intake mani port in polish would be about the same so would i be crazy for expecting 150?
Old 02-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your going to have figure your budget cuz maybe a b series swap would be best bet for power and cost if your trying to avoid a turbo setup.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:44 AM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this it will tell you everything you need to know

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/guide-answer-common-question-just-bought-civic-how-do-i-make-faster-2915974/
Old 02-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i dont understand why everyone wants to avoid turbo u can turbo a civic for 2k for reliable boost 175hp from a D series NA for cheap is not gonna happen

swap a B18C5 if u want that than
Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wrona
i dont understand why everyone wants to avoid turbo u can turbo a civic for 2k for reliable boost 175hp from a D series NA for cheap is not gonna happen

I dont understand either. I had a stock ls v made 300hp and drove it everyday.. b18c5 will be 210hp
Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A turbo set up can be safe if only u run the correct amount of boost with the ideal air/fuel. Alot of people r not smart when it comes to boost look at all the 4g63 guys lol. U just have to take into consideration of your compression. If u run 5-7lbs of a stock internal d16 block u should be fine. They did this in a mag of project car. The turbo d motor beat a b16. I can't emphasis enough don't crank up the boost. It's as simple as that
Old 02-10-2012, 03:01 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could ditch the $2000 of aftermarket parts, and turbo it and smoke anything you could build for the same price.

It's been long established that an N/A d-series is a waste of time. It can be done, but for the same money you could make a lot more power by swapping the motor or turbo'ing it.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

porting out the intke manifold or tb will not net u alot of power unless if u have a cam so the valve lifts more and it open longer. even then the head is still stock ported and limited to the flow of air. u might make 130-140hp without changing the compression ratio
Old 02-10-2012, 04:53 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Everyone avoids turbo simply because they are uninformed and don't know a thing about turbos. Frankly people want to be able to "go fast now" and not have to worry about learning anything.

HE didn't say what budget he had but you can get a little more out of the engine pretty cheaply as I understand it but you still have to crack open the engine to do it. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand you're only looking at MAYBE 135-140hp tops. It takes serious money to go fast naturally aspirated and even then you'll still be slow.

But then again, there's always the Russian Roulette Ebay turbo kits to be had for cheap.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Everyone avoids turbo simply because they are uninformed and don't know a thing about turbos. Frankly people want to be able to "go fast now" and not have to worry about learning anything.

HE didn't say what budget he had but you can get a little more out of the engine pretty cheaply as I understand it but you still have to crack open the engine to do it. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand you're only looking at MAYBE 135-140hp tops. It takes serious money to go fast naturall aspirated and even then you'll still be slow.

But then again, there's always the Russian Roulette Ebay turbo kits to be had for cheap.
I agree with the eBay turbo kit. Get one and swap out some of the cheaper parts. U can get a used turbo wastegate and other decent main components cheap from forums and junkyards. The eBay turbo kits r good cause u can get all of the little components for cheap instead of buying every little part and costing u a small fortune.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Buying an Ebay piping kit, a quality used turbo, and a decent manifold is probably the cheapest way to go fast period.

A good tune and maintenance and I doubt you have much to worry about on a mild setup.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well my budget is about a grand the engine used to boost at 7 lbs but it poped the engine i mean it was the stock engine but i guess i could go turbo im just trying to look at the life of my engine sinced i just rebuilt it plus a decent turbo kit is way out of my budget
Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by ej1_Łopez
well my budget is about a grand the engine used to boost at 7 lbs but it poped the engine i mean it was the stock engine but i guess i could go turbo im just trying to look at the life of my engine sinced i just rebuilt it plus a decent turbo kit is way out of my budget
And this is exactly why you need to do this:

YOU CAN ONLY PICK ONE

cheap
reliable
fast

$1,000 is not enough money to make ANY Honda go fast. This is not a hobby for the financially unwise or the feint of heart.

There's a reason I've been driving a stock civic for 6 years. Because with college/life it's taken me this long to get myself into a position where I can save enough money to do it right.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 AM
The Grumpiest

You won't do it N/A or boosted for a measly grand. Keep saving.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a grand will barely cover engine management + a tune, much less a turbo setup.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If u look hard enough u could probably change the compression for cheap.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You would be hard pressed to gain more than 20hp with all the parts listed in your OP. Hondas are pretty darn efficient from the factory.

If you want to make more than 140 whp, I would reccomend going turbo. I just picked up a used kit for $1100, including fuel control. Shop around, piece it together slowly if you need to, patience will pay off.

And if you "poped" the engine on 7psi, the turbo was either huge, or it wasn't tuned properly. If there is one part of the setup that you absolutely, positively cannot compromise on, it is the TUNE. Get a good one, don't scrimp.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

exactly im a uti student that barley works just does some side jobs to get by but ive heard of alot of people using the stock turbos of of sti or other cars for the turbo will that work
Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 AM
The Grumpiest

You still cannot do it for a grand.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Grumble you heavent addressed the problem of everyone throwing out PSI numbers

you guys don't understand PSI doesnt mean ****

seriously educate youself before u spit non-sense out of your mouth
Old 02-10-2012, 11:59 AM
The Grumpiest

Grumble you heavent addressed the problem of everyone throwing out PSI numbers
I'm not doing that anymore. If people read up and stopped parroting this "only XX PSI" then they would know it's about the CFM that a given turbo can flow and the horsepower/torque a given engine can handle. Not PSI. As a matter of fact the only time I ever see PSI is when I'm tuning. No where else.

I mean if you know what turbo then you CAN say" if I run XX turbo at XX PSI I should see XX power". If you're missing any of those XXs then you can't do squat.

OP. If you're that broke. You will either have to save that much longer or give up your dreams of a fast and furious Civic.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i guess ill be saving some more then haha

Quick Reply: engine build suggestions ideas help