Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

engine bay smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine bay smoking?

I recently just finished putting an edelbrock turbo kit on my 97 d16y8 and i thought everything was fine and ready to go until i started the car up and the engine bay started smoking. I started the car and it was running fine for about 3 mins, idle was fine at about 2k rpm, since it hasnt been started in a while, temp was fine then i looked and there was lik a whitish gray smoke coming from under the exhaust manifold, I def dont think that it was the turbo being damaged because it wasnt even spooling since it was only idling does anyone kno what this could be from?
p.s. i made sure that the downpipe bolts were tightened as well as the oil return line going into the turbo
Old 04-22-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Re: engine bay smoking? (MBlake55)

Oil on the Exhaust mani from your hands? or something to the same effect.

Is it burning anything fromt he exhaust itself? or just the bay...?

Leaking anything?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine bay smoking? (Hondaciv95VX)

im guessing that it is just some oil from the exhaust manifold but i dont really kno and no not leaking anywhere
Old 04-22-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Re: engine bay smoking? (MBlake55)

might be old oil stuck on ur bay that is just burning from the heat. leave it running for like 20 mins it should go away
Old 04-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine bay smoking? (andrew310)

mine started smoking from the header too. the header was heatwrapped so i couldnt tell if there was oil on it or not. i took it for a quick spin, came back and it stopped smoking.

Modified by bow tie at 8:25 PM 4/22/2006
Old 04-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its most likely normal if it is just light smoke. crap, when i brought my new wrx home it smoked the whole way and still smoked in the garage...and i live 50 miles away from the dealer!!
Old 04-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

thanx for the input ya its prolly nuthin but now i got a new problem and that is that the motor was knocking when i started it up today, the whole top end on the right side of the motor was knocking really fast at just idle speed, is that because my oil pressure could be really low from the turbo oil feed line being so long b/c it is about 4 ft long and also could that take away from some of the oil in the motor. p.s. how can i find out wat the oil pressure is? thanx alot for the help
Old 04-23-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MBlake55)

bump
Old 04-23-2006, 08:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MBlake55 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanx for the input ya its prolly nuthin but now i got a new problem and that is that the motor was knocking when i started it up today, the whole top end on the right side of the motor was knocking really fast at just idle speed, is that because my oil pressure could be really low from the turbo oil feed line being so long b/c it is about 4 ft long and also could that take away from some of the oil in the motor. p.s. how can i find out wat the oil pressure is? thanx alot for the help</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bring this to the forced induction forum, yuo will get much much better and faster responses there.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:53 AM

Default Re: (Hondaciv95VX)

Trying adding some oil or checking your dipstick first. And is it a knocking or ticking. Because if it is a Knocking it is from the bottom end you could have a bad rod bearing. And if it is from the top it could be a lose vavle tensioner.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:54 AM

Default Re: (HOsNiDA)

And about the smoking. Did you paint anything also. Not using high heat paint if will always burn the clear coat off.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HOsNiDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And if it is from the top it could be a lose vavle tensioner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF is a valve tensioner? Do you mean a <u>rocker arm</u>?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MBlake55 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanx for the input ya its prolly nuthin but now i got a new problem and that is that the motor was knocking when i started it up today, the whole top end on the right side of the motor was knocking really fast at just idle speed, is that because my oil pressure could be really low from the turbo oil feed line being so long b/c it is about 4 ft long and also could that take away from some of the oil in the motor. p.s. how can i find out wat the oil pressure is? thanx alot for the help</TD></TR></TABLE>

A.) running a turbo without an oil pressure gauge is ******* retarded. I have one on my 266k mile D16Z6 because it's old and I want more warning than the "you're fucked" light gives you in case I ever lose pressure. The only way to determine pressure is with a gauge.

B.) why is the oil feed line 4 feet long?

C.) what does your oil return line look like? What kind of angle and line-length does it have?

D.) maybe ask for help before doing a project like this next time. There are plenty of people on Honda-Tech who will help for the cost of beer and a pizza.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

No i meant valve tensioner. not rocker arm tensioner. The bolt you use to adjust your valves is a VAVLE TENSIONER. or VAVLE ADJUSTER
Old 04-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HOsNiDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No i meant valve tensioner. not rocker arm tensioner. The bolt you use to adjust your valves is a VAVLE TENSIONER. or VAVLE ADJUSTER</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but the bolt wouldn't be the thing rattling around and making noise, the rocker arm would. The tensioner you're talking about doesn't do anything to the valves: it moves the rockers closer to or farther away from the lobes of the camshaft, thus either increasing or decreasing effective duration per valve.

You don't adjust your valves, you adjust your rockers. Yes, it's called a "valve adjustment", but that's a misnomer as the only things being physically moved are the rocker arms in relation to the cam lobes. If something is rattling in your valvetrain, it's either a rocker arm or something far more serious (broken cam, loose valve due to broken retainer or keeper, etc.)

I'm not calling you names or saying that you're wrong - we're talking about the same thing after all - I'm just making sure that you understand exactly what you mean when you speak of noises in the valvetrain
Old 04-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

the angle of the oil return is perfectly fine, its secured and screwed into the oil pan where i jb welded an adapter, wat i think the problem is with the knocking is oil starvation becuase of my oil feed line which comes b4 the oil filter, im running one of those oil sandwich adapters but i made %100 sure that i installed it correctl, i also checked the compression and in all 3 cylinders it was about 150 and then in the one on the drivers side it was 120, so i dont think anything is ruined completely yet at least in the top end
Old 04-24-2006, 06:24 AM

Did you put a new exhaust gasket on there when you put your turbo maifold on? If when they are brand new they are going to smoke a bit as they heat up for the first time. When I put my B20 in last week I put a new gasket on when I put the header on and it smoked for a while then went away. Like others have said it could just be a little oil from the lines and work I would just run it for a while. If it is still doing it after 30-40 minutes then check to see if all the bolts and nuts that hold the manifold on are tight. If they are and it is still smoking then I am not sure what is up.