Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine bay help... harness.... brackets...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bay help... harness.... brackets...

my motor is out since im doing an ls/v build, so i decided to rattle can my white engine bay since my exterior is dark grey

i took most things apart, but took me awhile, so i forgot where 2 brackets went, and lost a few unimportant bolts.

anyway, i noticed some things about my harness, and little by little, we've been noticing things the last owner fcked up. my harness is cut from everywhere, and taped up, and has mismatching wires,etc... needless to say, im suprised my car hasnt caught fire yet.

im just curious about some wires i found that caught my attention.. are they important? where do they go? they were just loose, hanging there...

just randomly hanging there with 1 wire connected...

right next to trottle cable grommet... ??

where do these go?
Old 09-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine bay help... harness.... brackets... (fatpride111)

You dont really need those two last brackets. They hold the harness up on the passengers side strut tower.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome. thanks.

anyone know about the connectors?
Old 09-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (fatpride111)

First pic is for the IACV on the back of the intake. next pic is for the map sensor. next pic i really can't see well enough to tell. Those hose clamps on your fuel injection feed hose are kind of a no no, btw, its ok to splice the line, but you should use proper fuel injection hose clamps that don't cut into the hose. also, why is there a fuel filter on the return line?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all those lines i found like that... would the IACV wires being cut affect anything? the car idled weird for like a minute when i turned it on, idk if it was cause of anything here...

what are "proper fuel injection ose clamps"?

and i have no idea... you shoulda seen the headlight harness... last owner spliced, cut things, and added unneccesary stuff... there were about 3-4 butt connectors for the corner lights within like 2 feet of wiring..

oh, and the third one is coming out of the fire wall right next to the throttle cable. its long, and i have no idea what it went too... it was just tied to another wiring harness.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all those lines i found like that... would the IACV wires being cut affect anything? the car idled weird for like a minute when i turned it on, idk if it was cause of anything here...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The engine wont idle properly without it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what are "proper fuel injection ose clamps"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

These http://www.autobarn.net/iddifuincl.html are proper fuel injection hose clamps

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh, and the third one is coming out of the fire wall right next to the throttle cable. its long, and i have no idea what it went too... it was just tied to another wiring harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What are the wire colors? all i can see is red, any colored stripes on those wires?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it only bounced around like 200 rpm when it was cold for about a minute or less.. so i think my IACV is fine.. it was only 2 wires though and one was cut.

i might just upgrade to steel braided fuel lines since these are starting to crack, and theyre cut everywhere.

theyre both red wires. like i said theyre both coming out of the firewall by themselves, so idk... might be pretty easy to ID, i just havent had time to look it up. ive been out side all day.

thanks for your help
Old 09-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it only bounced around like 200 rpm when it was cold for about a minute or less.. so i think my IACV is fine.. it was only 2 wires though and one was cut.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hardly think it would be fine when it wasn't getting any power...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I might just upgrade to steel braided fuel lines since these are starting to crack, and theyre cut everywhere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats not a bad idea, buy the fuel injection feed hose for the engine, not the car.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theyre both red wires. like i said theyre both coming out of the firewall by themselves, so idk... might be pretty easy to ID, i just havent had time to look it up. ive been out side all day.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most of honda's wires have a stripe on the side, a few do not, but I can't think of a single sensor that uses 2 solid red wires.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for your help</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your Welcome
Old 09-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it only did it for awhile, then it ran fine.. but without having it hooked up, would it ONLY make it bounce 200 rpms for like 30 seconds?

yeah, i know, ive never owned a SOHC, so im pretty used to ordering things for a gsr.

yeah, it was wrapped in electrical tape, so im pretty sure they messed with it. ill strip off all the tape tommorrow and see if a piece of the original wire is still there.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it only did it for awhile, then it ran fine.. but without having it hooked up, would it ONLY make it bounce 200 rpms for like 30 seconds?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never tried just unplugging one before, but normally if the IACV is dirty it will cause the idle to fluctuate.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my brother helped me take out the motor, and he said it was hooked up when we pulled it out, i just asked him. so im not sure what else it could be. theres a few circle shapped female connectors hanging around, so maybe it could be something else?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my brother helped me take out the motor, and he said it was hooked up when we pulled it out, i just asked him. so im not sure what else it could be. theres a few circle shapped female connectors hanging around, so maybe it could be something else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are 3 connectors that all plug in the same in that general area actually, that one is definately for the IACV though, believe me after you mix them up a couple of times and fry IAT sensors you learn real quick what the wire colors are. If i were you i'd actually look at getting a used engine harness that isn't hacked to pieces.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well its chopped, so ill have to use some butt connectors to make it work again.

i was actually thinking about getting a used harness, and doing a wire tuck while its out and everything, but i havent got the time to swap it out... i need my car by next week, and everything has to go in this sunday

ill just go through it, and see what else is broken
Old 09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well its chopped, so ill have to use some butt connectors to make it work again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really don't advocate the use of butt connectors on an engine harness, they tend to turn green inside after a few months and then you start having intermitant electrical problems. Solder and shrink tubing is really the way to go and doesn't take all that long.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was actually thinking about getting a used harness, and doing a wire tuck while its out and everything, but i havent got the time to swap it out... i need my car by next week, and everything has to go in this sunday </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just swapping in a used harness wont really take any time, doing a wire tuck would, but just swapping out the harness isn't really going to cost you anything time wise, especially with the engine out.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

get a new harness and put it on while engine is out. trust me its easier.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Spool This)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spool This &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a new harness and put it on while engine is out. trust me its easier.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually its easier to solder a few bugs, but i already modded my headlight harness so i could run it through the inner fender, so ill butt connector it for this month (which is when i need it) and solder it after i have some time, and a second car.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wires in 3rd pic are originally black, and brown.

cant figure out what its for
Old 09-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep the brackets. They will get in the way if you do a strut bar, but IMO, they clean up the passenger strut tower.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shaggyeg6si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaggyeg6si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Keep the brackets. They will get in the way if you do a strut bar, but IMO, they clean up the passenger strut tower.</TD></TR></TABLE>

push them down and they wont get in the way of anything
Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatpride111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wires in 3rd pic are originally black, and brown.

cant figure out what its for </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thermostat ground I think. the brown should have a black stripe on it though.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thermostat ground I think. the brown should have a black stripe on it though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i didnt see one.. it looked solid brown, but maybe i missed it.

so its thermostat ground then?

can it be anything else?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, i got another bracket for you guys.

doesnt line up to anything on the block... tranny maybe?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Headlight tensioner? Haha....

Honestly never seen that one before...
Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same here, and it came outa my car
Old 09-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know its a stupid question but was it attatched to anything? Or was it lying in some box? Where was it in the bay?

Quick Reply: Engine bay help... harness.... brackets...