Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap

I am swapping everything out of my car including breaks, suspension, engine, even the dash/interior. Wouldn't this be the ideal time to use the complete bushing kit from ES? Has anyone used this kit? I know I need a press to get some of the pieces off, and I will have access to a mechanics shop during the process. Looking at all the money I have already spent what is another 130 for all new bushings? If you don't like the ES product please tell me why. Thanks.

Shameless use of picture...
Old 12-09-2002, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (Ehron)

if you have the time. do it.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (navin)

i have that kit im waiting till spring to do it so i can swap to gsr disc's at the same time
Old 12-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (navin)

Cool. My car is going to be out of commission for like 2 weeks... Better be awfully nice to my GF and friends.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:01 PM
New User

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (Ehron)

Now would be the best time to do it. I have the full set of ES bushings and they are worth the effort. You don't need a press but do a search on the topic. I don't want to post the whole detailed proceedure.

One other thing, while you have the LCA's off and before you put the new bushings in you should drill a small hole through the LCA on the centerline of the the bushing and install a 1/8" grease fitting. This will allow you to grease up the bushings while they are on the car. Several people have done this (including me) and it works.

Mike
Old 12-09-2002, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (92sleepR)

if your swaping out brakes for integra disc...then you can't use the integra lower control arms....i had to order the rear bushings for an integra so I could make it work...i have the civci rear control arms on the gsr brakes now with es bushings..but no rear sway bar so you see the problem.

DEF
Old 12-10-2002, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a fun project! You'll have to let us know when it's finished. I'd like to see the progression from the car you wanted to sell last spring to the finished project!

B96v6
Old 12-10-2002, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (B96v6)

Sounds like a fun project! You'll have to let us know when it's finished. I'd like to see the progression from the car you wanted to sell last spring to the finished project!

B96v6
Yeah I wish someone would have bought it so I would not have spent all this money!
Old 12-10-2002, 08:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey bro i have the full Es kit on my 1992 Cx hatch and it's great.

It is the biggest pain in the *** to install though!

I just took a torn and burned all of the old bushings and knocked them out with a hammer, etc.

Be sure to lube all the ply stuff REALLY good or they will squeak - mine are lubed great, but others I've ridden in are not and it's annoying as hell.

Oh and that "lube" is NASTY! Don't get it in your hair or on your clothes!
Old 12-10-2002, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (B18C5-EH2)

Hmm, hair and clothes, eh Tom??

JFWY!

Back to the thread.....if you have the time and patience, go for it. I wussed out on mine when I did the swap, because I needed to get the car back on the road asap. I will do mine properly once I have half a chance. There's a how to posted somewhere that doesn't involve a press or torches.....

Steve
Old 12-10-2002, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (stevecockrill)

Judging by that picture I don't want to know what hair Tom was talking about. Anyone know where to find that how to?
Old 12-10-2002, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (B18C5-EH2)

Hey bro i have the full Es kit on my 1992 Cx hatch and it's great.

It is the biggest pain in the *** to install though!

I just took a torn and burned all of the old bushings and knocked them out with a hammer, etc.

Be sure to lube all the ply stuff REALLY good or they will squeak - mine are lubed great, but others I've ridden in are not and it's annoying as hell.

I bought the kit for my car Tom and it didn't come with the lube, or any suggestions to that matter that I read. what did you use to "lube" your bushings before replacing them? Cause I know I definately don't want it to squeak!
Old 12-10-2002, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (ImprtTuner88)

I too am looking into doing this when building my EG hatch, I wouldnt mind knowing what other methods can be used to complete installing these busings without the use of a torch or a press. Later
Old 12-10-2002, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (ILUVTEC)

i have it on my cpe and its great but the rides a little more uncomfortable but the turns and the launches are dope.

[Modified by W.ZeroB18C1T, 2:06 PM 12/10/2002]
Old 12-10-2002, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (92sleepR)

Now would be the best time to do it. I have the full set of ES bushings and they are worth the effort. You don't need a press but do a search on the topic. I don't want to post the whole detailed proceedure.

One other thing, while you have the LCA's off and before you put the new bushings in you should drill a small hole through the LCA on the centerline of the the bushing and install a 1/8" grease fitting. This will allow you to grease up the bushings while they are on the car. Several people have done this (including me) and it works.

Mike
your going to need a press or access to one if you plan on changing all of the bushings out.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:27 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (SpooN Man)

where can i get the es bushing set for an ek
Old 12-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (SpooN Man)

your going to need a press or access to one if you plan on changing all of the bushings out.
Actually I didn't use a press at all - I used a torch and an air hammer.

Torch the rubber stock bushings until they are ready to melt and then air hammer out the metal sleeves and the remaining rubber.

We don't need no stinking press y0!
Old 12-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (TeamUntouchableRacing)

where can i get the es bushing set for an ek
i bought mine from summit racing
Old 12-10-2002, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Energy Suspension Hyper Flex kit while doing engine/brake swap (W.ZeroB18C1T)

i used a press and it was still a uber pain to do. i should haved drilled holes for grease fittings. oh wells i can fix that later. burning them out works best for the rear trailing arms and the front LCAs. the ones that have oe metal shells will be the worst to you. the easiest way to get them out is by slitting the shells wiht a hand/recipicating saw. give this porject a 4 day time estimate. the lube you can pic up at a good auto racing place. is just a kind synthetic grease. i used krytox. great stuff but use latex gloves when putting it on. it's so water proof it's near impossible to wash off
edit:
i think prothane has a better rear trailing arm bushing then ES. with the ES one your mount will float in the bushing and the arm can move around some

[Modified by snail, 12:34 AM 12/11/2002]