Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Energy Suspension Bushing Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Energy Suspension Bushing Kit

Due to having suspension bushing problems I purchased an E.S. bushing kit from summitt Racing(NYC driving = FUCKED UP SUSPENSION), and I was reading some of the instuctions in the kit, and I happened to see "Hydrolic press required". Please tell me there is another way to do this myself. Going to Pro Parts and getting most of them pressed shouldn't be a problem, because the guy said he might be able to work something out with me, if I do it all in one shot. The problem is I have to take apart most of my suspension, then bring it there, and I have to use my friends yard, and my car can't be back there sitting on jacks forever. Also give me some PROS & CONS about this kit.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we did my friends bushings with a C-clamp and a little bit of WD-40 and it worked
Old 09-14-2004, 12:15 AM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

You mean the same type/size C-clamp you use to do brakes? Also how did your friends suspension feel afterwords? Give details.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:17 AM

everything felt good on the suspension. a little more sqeak to it. but after about a hour you dont notice it. over all with H&R springs on Koni yellows and the bushings its a damn good suspension setup.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

it's worth the extra work and effort. my gsr is on full energy suspension, and it's great.

i was watching my buddy up at honda install some bushings, and he was cutting them a lil bit. the newer, stiffer bushings might be a bitch so i guess this is the resort.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:01 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (Nihonjin)

a neat little trick is to put the poly bushings in the freezer before you install them. It will shrink the bushings ever so slightly and allow them to install a little easier! I've done this a few times and it worked great..
Old 09-14-2004, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a neat little trick is to put the poly bushings in the freezer before you install them. It will shrink the bushings ever so slightly and allow them to install a little easier! I've done this a few times and it worked great..</TD></TR></TABLE>

they wont get brittle, and break into pieces if you try to shove them in there?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:58 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (Nihonjin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nihonjin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

they wont get brittle, and break into pieces if you try to shove them in there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope not at all. You'll notice that they are semi soft when you take them out of the package (not brittle by nature) so you just put them in the freezer for a couple hours and it does the trick. Up here in Canada it's what we do with hockey pucks (so does the NHL) which are made from similar material. Freezing the pucks makes them less likely to bounce around on the ice and I've never seen a puck break from being brittle yet and they certainly take a pounding!
Old 09-14-2004, 09:03 AM

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

I am putting the same kit in right now. The lower control arms need to have the metal bushing sleeves cut out before you put the new ones in. My shop press is a good floor jack and my lifted Chevy Tahoe. Good luck to you.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civexturbo)

I just finished mine a little while ago.. the only ones I had to have pressed in were the upper control arms. I did not however use the rear trailing arm bushings. The front lowe control arm bushings and the shock mounting were all pretty easy. just use some of that grease and a BFH, and you'll be alright, except those upper control arm ones.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=902142