Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

energy supension

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default energy supension

has any one installed the energy suspension hyperflex kit into there civic that can tell me what they think of them
Old 02-25-2003, 03:48 AM

Default Re: energy supension (b18a1boosted)

has any one installed the energy suspension hyperflex kit into there civic that can tell me what they think of them
They are a pain in the butt - literally.

Difficult and time consuming install.

ROUGH ride. Even on stock shocks and springs.

The car handles hella nice afterwards, but the compromises and work involved are not trivial.

Shawn
Old 02-25-2003, 03:59 AM

Default Re: energy supension (shawnhayes)

I've heard mixed reviews. A lot of people who auto-x say they're great for a race car but not for daily drivers. I considered putting some on my Del Sol but I think I'm going to stick to stock bushings.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, they are very inexpensive and have good results but are a pain in the *** to install.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: energy supension (kay_animation)

I just finished mine a couple weeks back. Probably spent a month on the install. No air tools, and no press make for a very long install. After finishing just the rear I took it for a test drive, and began to think it was a waste of time. After finishing the whole kit though is another story. Almost no body roll, and almost no wheel hop. High speed cornering is amazing. I'm glad I did it now. I wouldn't recommend anyone do it themselves unless they have another car to drive.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:22 AM

Default Re: energy supension (wilsel)

I love mine, but just like everyone else is saying....it absolutely sucks installing them.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:30 AM
EGO

Default Re: energy supension (jdmsol)

I'm thinking about replacing my bushings as well. Can we get more feedback on the ride quality? My car is pretty rough on setting 4 on my AGX's/H&R race springs already, will it be much worse with polyurethane bushings? Or should I just replace with oem rubber?

ant
Old 02-25-2003, 11:42 AM

Default Re: energy supension (anthony m.)

if you are really trying to maximize performance then i say yes...it's a no-brainer. but if you have alot of other things you can improve on your suspension first and are looking at this as a cheap and easy way to get some stiffness i say "hellll-no". it is a ******* pain in the *** to get these all installed, the gains are noticeble in the end but this in not a "lightweight" mod like most people think.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Re: energy supension (euclid)

has anyone used the motor mounts from energy? just ordered some and looking for feed back........
Old 02-25-2003, 11:53 AM

Default Re: energy supension (euclid)

Is it true that the black color bushings are made of diffrent materials and they do not squeeze as much as the red ones or is this just Bull
Old 02-25-2003, 12:00 PM

Default Re: energy supension (Run Hatch)

think of it this way you have a 10 year old car almost...might as well replace bushings because some are probably worn. So you get new bushings and the ride doesnt get better feeling but the handlign improves. Its a bitch it took me like 1 day to get them pressed and installed but i have to do shock z10 and so fourth i did all the mods listed below in one day. A full day not 5 hours...hope that helps. And i drive my car everyday and my girl doesnt think its bad its a nice smooth ride if you have a nice stip to drive on but if the road is bumpy ewwww you will feel it.

DEF
Old 02-25-2003, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: energy supension (Run Hatch)

It's just the colors that are available at the time. They aren't different hardness's. I have both colors on mine. It's just what they fab'd at what times. I got the red ones. Which some want really bad. LOL I think it's funny they consider a ES bushing a appearance mod.

I just did the trailing arms due to a torn bushing and the inserts I just bought for the b motor just due to the high tearing rate stock mounts seem to get. The motor mount inserts aren't to tough to do. It's all about lubing them up baby.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:15 PM

Default Re: energy supension (DX Hybridizer)

For those that have done the engine mounts, and the suspension. Which do think were the hardest to do? I'm reluctant to do the engine mounts although I've already done the suspension.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:31 PM

hey guys.
How much do shops usually charge for a full bushing kit install? All my bushings are torn to shreds, and I really want to do this bushing swap, but all I hear are horror stories on installs..ha.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:38 PM

Default Re: energy supension (lrgsrhb)

has anyone used the motor mounts from energy? just ordered some and looking for feed back........
ive got a set made by http://fitzperformance.com/ and theay are the bomb.
i put another set on my wifes civic(1.5non-vtec) w/auto trans and she can smoke her tires with a swift stab of the gas.
we both think that the vibration in the cab sucks but thats only when your stopped.
i would say that theay are one of the best mods i have to date. 5hours+$32.95=torque
Old 02-25-2003, 12:52 PM

Default Re: energy supension (Heinz57)

hey guys.
How much do shops usually charge for a full bushing kit install? All my bushings are torn to shreds, and I really want to do this bushing swap, but all I hear are horror stories on installs..ha.
I was quoted between $800-$1000. 16hrs of labor at a shop at $60 an hour. That's why I decided to do it myself. I had the winter to take my time, and another car to drive. Had it not been for that I wouldn't have done it.

So the engine mount inserts aren't that bad?

[Modified by wilsel, 9:52 PM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I have both the master kit and the motor mount inserts...

The motor mounts are EASY you just have to loosen and tighten some stuff to get enough play to move things around.

the master kit is a beotch and I have access to a press and a lift. i did the front lower control arms and some other misc. ones and it made a DRASTIC difference.. it elliminated almost all of my body roll. and I haven't even done the upper control arms or the rear.

as far as rattles and squeeks. Squeeks are non existant on the black ones that I have (yes it does make a difference. they mix the normal poly with graphite to achieve the color it has an added benifit of reducing squeeks.) but the rattling well... it's pretty bad. the motor mounts rattle the whole dash at a stop. (it has lightened up over the past couple of weeks though) so once they're all broken in it's not THAT bad (it's bad though especially if your car idles rough). But the performance of the motor mounts is great.. it tightens up your whole front end especially during hard to moderate cornering when on the throttle hard. and the affects of letting off the throttle are not as drastic as they were before.

overall I think they're worth every penny. and pain in the nuts hour it takes to put them in. I have 140k+ on my car and it drives better than the day i got it.

oh and to whoever said upgrade other stuff first I say not if you have a si or ex... my stock suspension is still mint. the bushings where the only part that NEEDED upgrading. you may find that a couple of hours/days and some money might save you a whole lot more money in the long run.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:12 PM

hey guys.

I was quoted between $800-$1000. 16hrs of labor at a shop at $60 an hour. That's why I decided to do it myself. I had the winter to take my time, and another car to drive. Had it not been for that I wouldn't have done it.

So the engine mount inserts aren't that bad?

[Modified by wilsel, 9:52 PM 2/25/2003]
dont go to honda or midas or places like that, find a shop that is owned by a mechanic, take the suspension apart yourself and just bring all the peices in a box. you can probibly get the whole car done for 200$ or less this way.... the shop must have a hydrolic press though.
some bushings like the shifter and steering rack bushings can be done yourself, also if you have a spring compressor you can do the shock bushings too. its just the uca and lca that need to be pressed out.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Re: energy supension (lrgsrhb)

i put the motor ones in and it is a noticeable difference even upon startup i like them and there are cheap

[Modified by b18a1boosted, 2:29 PM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 01:25 PM

the motor ones are a cake walk i am going to put the suspension ones in and i think if you got the suspension one in the motor one will be nothing
Old 02-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the ES motor mounts in my 00 civic. I loved them. I though they were very easy to install. I took them out when I sold the car and now I don't have that car so I just have them sitting around. I'm thinking of selling them because I have no need for them now. The HCP mount kit I'm using has ES bushings in their mounts.

I'm doing the ES hyper-flex kit and the trailing arm bushings right now. The trailing arm bushing SUCKS to install! I have access to a press and I have everything off the car so it shouldn't take much longer. It's definitely not fun and I'm hoping it's worth all the work.

[Modified by inline4hatch, 9:21 AM 2/26/2003]
Old 02-26-2003, 03:04 AM

Default Re: energy supension (italica)

I'm thinking about replacing my bushings as well. Can we get more feedback on the ride quality?
On a rough road, it's BAD. I have them, I love them, but I wouldn't take an old person with a bad back in my car over a bumpy road.

Shawn
Old 02-26-2003, 05:20 AM
New User

I have them, I like them, they rock at road race tracks but everything else said about them is true.

They suck on the shitty Washington DC roads
They are a HUGE pain in the *** to install
They squeek like Micky Mouse getting F#$*! in the ***

On the open highway I never really notice the harsher ride and I drive up to NY all the time so thats an issue for me. However, I try to drive the car as little as possible in downtown DC or Manhattan

Mike
Old 02-26-2003, 05:22 AM
New User

For those that have done the engine mounts, and the suspension. Which do think were the hardest to do? I'm reluctant to do the engine mounts although I've already done the suspension.
The suspension bushings are MUCH harder. I took the ES engine mounts out actually because the car was shaking my fillings loose. I'm going to get the Mr. Alex engine brace to control engine movement.

Mike