Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Emptied can of freon, now A/C clutch constantly engaging/disengaging

Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emptied can of freon, now A/C clutch constantly engaging/disengaging

Hey,

So it's hot as hell here in NC. My civic never really had ice cold A/C to begin with the whole time I've owned it (9yrs). The other day I checked the low-side pressure with el cheapo gauge and it was in the red zone. Okay, so I go to store to get 134a. Emptied half of can into it, it started raining so I stopped. Checked pressure not much changed. A/C was still working fine. Next day I empty the other half in and during the time I was doing that, A/C clutch starts engaging/disengaging every 5-10secs. Rpm's are going up and down as it does this, making it mega-annoying when I drive with it on! Car bogs and lurches (not alot but I can feel it) over and over as clutch engages and disengages. Pressure gauge went down almost to the good zone but air temp. is still about the same.

I've heard it could do this when low on freon, but I just filled it so I don't get it. What the heck is going on?

It has never done this before, so I was wondering if it has anything to do with me filling it with freon or something else going on?

Thanks.

Last edited by EJ8mike; 07-27-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Emptied can of freon, now A/C clutch constantly engaging/disengaging

it means its still low on freon. its a safety thing for it to turn on and off.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Emptied can of freon, now A/C clutch constantly engaging/disengaging

It more likely means that the system is OVERcharged with refrigerant.

Those cheap refill kits should be avoided. If you don't monitor both low and high side pressures with a manifold gauge set before and during addition of refrigerant, it's as risky as driving a car blindfolded.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well oh crap, what do I do. Now Im gonna have to take to shop for them to empty and refill correctly aint I?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8mike
Well oh crap, what do I do. Now Im gonna have to take to shop for them to empty and refill correctly aint I?
That's the proper next step. After recovering the refrigerant, have them leak test the system (= holds vacuum) and also add a leak detecting dye with the new refrigerant to help pinpoint any potential leaks in the future. They will also probably want to replace the receiver/dryer.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well since it's over charged just release some of the freon while the a/c is running and watch the clutch on the compressor. Once it disengages and engages like it should stop releasing the freon. Those kits are ok for topping off the freon level but completely recharging the system should be done at a shop where they can remove all moisture from the system so it runs properly and doesn't get damaged from the moisture that accumulates over time. But just release the freon and you'll be good as gold. If your air gets warm within a few days of a few weeks then you may have moisture in the system or a leak somewhere.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info, guys. I will try Dave's method first to see if that helps. If not, I will go to the shop I guess....
Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info, guys. I will try Dave's method first to see if that helps. If not, I will go to the shop I guess....
Intentional release of refrigerant into the atmosphere is illegal.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dave87
Those kits are ok for topping off the freon level
The problem is that, without a manifold gauge set or the ability to rule out an electrical problem, the average person has no idea whether topping off the system is the right action or not. In many cases, it is not.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Point taken, Ron.

El cheapo gauge doesn't even make sense to me. It is labeled from low psi to high psi like this......

Low (green)--> Filled (blue)-->Alert (yellow)--> Warning (red)

Well I thought that low freon = more air, which means high psi. According to gauge, low freon has low psi? Confusing lol

Lastly, apparently I'm overcharged but according to gauge I went from Warning (red) beforehand, to Alert (yellow) now! Grossly inaccurate huh.

Last edited by EJ8mike; 07-27-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: .
Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lastly, apparently I'm overcharged but according to gauge I went from Warning (red) beforehand, to Alert (yellow) now! Grossly inaccurate huh.
The gauge is surely not very accurate, but it could be telling you the truth about the low side pressure. The problem is likely that the high side pressure is too high, which is causing the pressure switch to open the circuit. This could possibly indicate an additional problem besides refrigerant overcharging.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like Ron suggests you could have other problems, but the first thing you can do is get that extra freon out. The "el cheapo" gauge isn't very accurate but is giving an idea that maybe it's overcharged. You have two ways of doing it, the right way at a shop or the method I'm telling you. I can't tell you how many times method I told you is done at shops all around. It's a risky move at a shop when you do it because you never know if the EPA is around, but at home you could dang near pour oil down a storm drain without the EPA knocking down your door...not that I do this but it was just to make a point.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dave87
Like Ron suggests you could have other problems, but the first thing you can do is get that extra freon out. The "el cheapo" gauge isn't very accurate but is giving an idea that maybe it's overcharged. You have two ways of doing it, the right way at a shop or the method I'm telling you. I can't tell you how many times method I told you is done at shops all around. It's a risky move at a shop when you do it because you never know if the EPA is around, but at home you could dang near pour oil down a storm drain without the EPA knocking down your door...not that I do this but it was just to make a point.
I did not want to start a new thread for the same issue. I have a similar issue, but I have already taken the car to an AC shop. The told me that my condenser maybe clogged so they did not fill it up to max. They said I was fine, but while I drive the car the AC clutch keeps engaging and disengaging several times a min. It's more then normal. It makes it hard to drive. When the car is sitting at idle it seem fine. I do not notice the car engaging and disengaging several times a minute. Any other ideas? Please help.