Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Emissions OBD Test w/ Hybrid EK

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions OBD Test w/ Hybrid EK

My state will be doing an OBD test on my car for emissions. They will not be putting the sniffer in the tail pipe, although I wish they were.

I have a 98 Hatch with a 99 JDM ITR Motor with JDM ecu. The second O2 sensor is not wired up, but the car does not throw a code because the JDM ecu only reads one O2 sensor.

I am pretty sure I am going to fail the test as is. Correct me if I am wrong.

What can I do (LEGALLY) for the ECU to cooperate with the ODB test:

1. Will Kenji's jumper harness make this all better?
2. Will hooking up the secondary O2 sensor even make a difference if the ecu isn't even communicating with it?
3. Any chance in hell of the JDM ecu passing by itself.

I know it is difficult for anyone to say with 100% certainty whether I pass, but I am trying to understand what the OBD test is going to look for and what my ecu needs to tell it.

I do have the stock DX ecu kicking around, but the car would run like crap if at all, so that is probably not an option.

Any information on the topic is appreciated, because there are a ton of posts on the topic on people asking how to pass, but not necessarily legal.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Emissions OBD Test w/ Hybrid EK (Lynx)

I believe you need to run a USDM ecu in the car in order to even consider smogging a JDM swap...among other things like the exhaust manifold and other smog related stuff. Basically you can run the JDMmotor but it has to have all US SPEC Smog equipment is what I have read. Not sure if that helps any.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Emissions OBD Test w/ Hybrid EK (The AntiRice)

First you have to pass visual and then your car has to "talk" to the computer here. I don't know if any other states have this new form of inspection, but now we have to plug into the OBD scanner port and check the history for stored codes and such.
Don't know if you'll pass, but try and if not then find another option.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Emissions OBD Test w/ Hybrid EK (Ricey McRicerton)

Ok. That is what I have come up with in my searches. I just wanted a little reassuring as to exactly what I am going to do.

I have temporary access to a 98 USDM ITR ecu. Along with that, I'll hook up the secondary O2 sensor. I hope that will help me pass for the time being until I can locate one as a permanent fixture in the car.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Emissions OBD Test w/ Hybrid EK (Lynx)

Georgia also does the OBDII ecu tests. JDM ecu's won't communicate with the states computers so you will fail. As far as hooking up a stock ecu, I am not that familiar with Honda swaps, but more than likely you will be missing emissions components like an egr valve, the secondary o2 sensor as you stated, and whatever else you left out when you did your swap. Not to mention that ecu is probably not programmed to run that car, and because of that and the lack of emissions components will throw codes and you will fail emissions. The stock ecu has to go through a certain number of run cycles before it will let the car pass emissions. Usually it will take a couple of hours of driving for it to cycle through everything and check all the systems on the car.

As for another way around it, someone on another board stated that they were going to just pay someone to pass it. Probably by hooking up another car.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Emissions OBD Test w/ Hybrid EK (yellow_jacket)

In Connecticut, the emissions computers check the readiness monitors of the ECU. If you happen to have monitors reading not ready, the test switches from OBD, to the sniffer test.

Is the testing done at local garages in your area? See if they'll run a practice test.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Emissions OBD Test w/ Hybrid EK (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In Connecticut, the emissions computers check the readiness monitors of the ECU. If you happen to have monitors reading not ready, the test switches from OBD, to the sniffer test.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's how I thought it was supossed to work, but because I had pulled the battery terminal instead of pulling the backup fuse the ECM would'nt communicate with the computer and I failed. Got told to fix it so it communicates and come back.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Emissions OBD Test w/ Hybrid EK (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In Connecticut, the emissions computers check the readiness monitors of the ECU. If you happen to have monitors reading not ready, the test switches from OBD, to the sniffer test.

Is the testing done at local garages in your area? See if they'll run a practice test.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just found that is how my state works. If the ecu does not communicate, the do the sniffer test.

This is what I want. In that case, would my chances be better if I just left the JDM ecu in the car. I know, I know. Go to the test and find out, but if I know that the JDM ecu will read "not ready," then I am set.