Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EMERGENCY HELP!!! Hood Pop doesnt work!!!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMERGENCY HELP!!! Hood Pop doesnt work!!!?!?

Ok I just went to pop my hood to install a new horn and the hood wont pop! The hood open latch or whatever u wanna call it is completely look like the cable is broken or something? I even tried pulling on the cable with pliers but still nothing.

**** how do i get my hood open?

pls help!!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: EMERGENCY HELP!!! Hood Pop doesnt work!!!?!? (turbotime)

pull the wire and have someone pop at the same time, just a thought
Old 05-06-2005, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: EMERGENCY HELP!!! Hood Pop doesnt work!!!?!? (longbeachpurplecivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longbeachpurplecivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pull the wire and have someone pop at the same time, just a thought</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, try that. If that doesn't work you might have to try and reach up through the lower grill and pop it like that.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: EMERGENCY HELP!!! Hood Pop doesnt work!!!?!? (turbotime)

i had the same problem and having someone pull up the hood while i had the release pulled out worked
after you get it opened grease up the latch
Old 05-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

end up the cable broke off where it connects to the latch, i mean the outer sheath part.

hard to describe basically the cable had no leverage on the latch side so no amount of pulling worked.

Ended up sliding a 10mm ratchet on a really tiny extension under teh hood and physically unscrewin the latch.

got er open, fixed with duct tape and zip ties
Old 05-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
got er open, fixed with duct tape and zip ties </TD></TR></TABLE>

::Special Ed voice:: YAAAAYYYYYYY
Old 05-06-2005, 08:16 PM

oh ****, that just happen to my bros homy just now. they had to kick off the fiberglass front bumper off to get to the latch, lol. if your cable breaks off again. i have the line if you wanna buy, and possibly the latch also
Old 05-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah i was fliipin a ****....

luckily my cf hood is cheap and i dont care if i break it so i just forced a socket in there.

so my surprise it didint break or web
Old 05-06-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: (longbeachpurplecivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longbeachpurplecivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> they had to kick off the fiberglass front bumper off to get to the latch</TD></TR></TABLE>

rofl. why not just unbolt it?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: (Pioneer162)

i have no idea. plus its dark and maybe there hands are too big to go under there. lol. im glad they kicked it off lol. the guy ended buying an old bumper i had laying aorund taking up space
Old 05-06-2005, 09:04 PM

Crud.... I just broke my plastic latch that you pull on to pop the hood..
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pioneer162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rofl. why not just unbolt it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

there are 5 philips heads screws that hold the bumper in the center under the hood

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PK SPEED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Crud.... I just broke my plastic latch that you pull on to pop the hood..</TD></TR></TABLE>

order a new plastic piece or buy one from classifieds, use 2 pairs of pliers to pop the hood in the meantime... one on the black sleeve and one on the cable...
Old 05-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
order a new plastic piece or buy one from classifieds, use 2 pairs of pliers to pop the hood in the meantime... one on the black sleeve and one on the cable...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just pull it, his actually broke in a good spot unlike yours, he won't have to go through a huge hassle. Also, the replacement from Honda about $15 and sold with the black plastic piece as well as the cable. It's all one piece.

Was that zip ties stuff a joke?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longbeachpurplecivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have no idea. plus its dark and maybe there hands are too big to go under there. lol. im glad they kicked it off lol. the guy ended buying an old bumper i had laying aorund taking up space </TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably because in all honesty it's less of a hassle and extremely frustrating to get anything up into this tiny area to reach it, then to be able to actually unbolt it since the ratchet is actually perpendicular to the bolts for the latch.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pioneer162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

rofl. why not just unbolt it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Easier said than done.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longbeachpurplecivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh ****, that just happen to my bros homy just now. they had to kick off the fiberglass front bumper off to get to the latch, lol. if your cable breaks off again. i have the line if you wanna buy, and possibly the latch also </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dumbasses.
Ya know, it is possible to get into somethin without breakin it.

I would suggest for evryone to inspect the latch and cable every so often, especially if it starts binding.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hurricane)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hurricane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dumbasses.
Ya know, it is possible to get into somethin without breakin it.

I would suggest for evryone to inspect the latch and cable every so often, especially if it starts binding.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm certain it would have been much easier for you to do it. And for the most part it's never going to be the cable that binds. It's the latch that gets stuck breaking the head of the cable or the release lever. Take one out and you'll see.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: (Hurricane)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hurricane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dumbasses.
Ya know, it is possible to get into somethin without breakin it..</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea of course anything is possible.. "dumbasses" well you have your way, and we have ours and that comment wasnt so appropriate ..... like invalid said &gt;&gt;

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by INVALID &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Probably because in all honesty it's less of a hassle and extremely frustrating to get anything up into this tiny area to reach it, then to be able to actually unbolt it

Easier said than done.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
they prolly got frustrated and went on a KICKING FRENZY!!! muahahaha
Old 05-08-2005, 06:52 PM

I carry enough tools in the car to take the front bumper off, 5 phillips on top, one under each fender, and 2 10mm bolts underneath...
Old 05-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pioneer162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I carry enough tools in the car to take the front bumper off, 5 phillips on top, one under each fender, and 2 10mm bolts underneath...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good plan to carry tools. Not much use if you can't get to those 5 phillips screws on the top.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:56 AM

pliars + hood cable = teh w!n
Old 05-09-2005, 05:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longbeachpurplecivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea of course anything is possible.. "dumbasses" well you have your way, and we have ours and that comment wasnt so appropriate ..... like invalid said &gt;&gt;

they prolly got frustrated and went on a KICKING FRENZY!!! muahahaha</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well BITE my dumbASS for wanting to do it the right way instead of kicking the bumper apart and having to buy and repaint another.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pioneer162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pliars + hood cable = teh w!n</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're not understanding because you're not reading: <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">end up the cable broke off where it connects to the latch, i mean the outer sheath part.

hard to describe basically the cable had no leverage on the latch side so no amount of pulling worked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-09-2005, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

INVALID is right, A+ for reading.. for the non-readers
Old 05-09-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Hurricane

Well BITE my dumbASS for wanting to do it the right way instead of kicking the bumper apart and having to buy and repaint another.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longbeachpurplecivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">\ im glad they kicked it off lol. the guy ended buying an old bumper i had laying aorund taking up space </TD></TR></TABLE>

it dont matter to me i wasnt the one wasting money, i made money