Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Emergency! Coolant Hose Popped! Now More Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency! Coolant Hose Popped! Now More Problems

*edit*
More problems described below, post #11. the hose was fixed. i cudnt see the other end cuz it was under the IM so i removed it and replaced it

well one of my coolant hoses popped off cuz i was an idiot and had water instead of antifreeze flowing during winter. obviously it froze over and caused this hose to snap.

Do I need to replace this hose or can I cap it off? If I decide to replace it, where does the other end go? If I can cap it off, where do I get a cap this size? I dont think Autozone nor any car places carry caps this big.

*edit*

stupid me... even if i cap it then ill have to find the other side lol. anyone know where this line connects to?

Last edited by imbest123; 12-08-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Emergency! Coolant Hose Popped!

You should be more worried about your engine block then your coolant hose. The water might have expanded in your block causing unrepairable damages.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by imbest123
Do I need to replace this hose or can I cap it off? If I decide to replace it, where does the other end go?
Yes you need to replace it. Not to be a dick, but find the other half of the hose and see where it goes, its not rocket science.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:34 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Water instead of antiFREEZE in the winter has GOT to be one of the most unwise things I've heard anyone do so far.

Get a replacement hose. Don't be stupid a second time. Not sure if you can afford it though if you couldn't afford to put some antifreeze in car.

Pray you didn't do irreparable damage to the engine because of it.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LazyAzn
You should be more worried about your engine block then your coolant hose. The water might have expanded in your block causing unrepairable damages.
how wud it leak into the block and what symptoms would i look for? like from a leaking head gasket? i know wut to look out for in that case
Originally Posted by 94EG8
Yes you need to replace it. Not to be a dick, but find the other half of the hose and see where it goes, its not rocket science.
i tried looking around. i cant find the other end. i found the helms page but i cannot distinguish which it is. guess ill keep looking when i get the chance
Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Water instead of antiFREEZE in the winter has GOT to be one of the most unwise things I've heard anyone do so far.

Get a replacement hose. Don't be stupid a second time. Not sure if you can afford it though if you couldn't afford to put some antifreeze in car.

Pray you didn't do irreparable damage to the engine because of it.
u think i put water in there during winter? the upper rad hose needed to get replaced in teh summer and i forgot that i had water in the system until now. **** happens and it needed to get moving fast. i always carry distilled water in my car for emergencies. as for cant afford it, i do have a turbo rsx so try and make a better insult next time. the rsx isnt an expensive car but piecing together a turbo kit for it correctly is pricey. kpro alone is near $1,000. you jsut sound like you wanted to insult someone and copied info that the ppl above u listed.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this help?

Is that hose outlet on the intake manifold?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EL Vap133
Does this help?

Is that hose outlet on the intake manifold?
thank you! thats exactly what im looking at. i think its the biggest bypass hose. makes sense cuz i was in a rush and looked everywhere except right under it lol. its my 2nd car but the gf has been dd'ing it for a while now and it popped on her. thats why i said emergency. i havent had much time to look at the car since i had to leave work and come back.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=imbest123;44162379] how wud it leak into the block and what symptoms would i look for? like from a leaking head gasket? i know wut to look out for in that case

uhh, there are what are called water jackets in your block that allows coolant to flow through it, thats how your engine is cooled. there is always coolant in your block... thats the reason you have to put anti freeze in, so that the water in your block doesnt expand when it freezes and crack your block.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dude. Don't try to clarify what you did now. You said you had antifreeze flowing (present tense) during winter. You didn't say it was sitting. Regardless. You probably messed up your engine pretty bad since you chose to neglect it. I hope you didn't because that would suck. And I know about piecing a turbo kit together but I don't see what that has to do with anything.

In the future don't run around with distilled water. I have an unopened bottle of AF I keep in the ride just in case. Doesn't cost anything. I'm sorry but to me that sounds just cheap as hell.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=LS-turboner;44163969]
how wud it leak into the block and what symptoms would i look for? like from a leaking head gasket? i know wut to look out for in that case

uhh, there are what are called water jackets in your block that allows coolant to flow through it, thats how your engine is cooled. there is always coolant in your block... thats the reason you have to put anti freeze in, so that the water in your block doesnt expand when it freezes and crack your block.
makes sense. didnt think of that.
Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Dude. Don't try to clarify what you did now. You said you had antifreeze flowing (present tense) during winter. You didn't say it was sitting. Regardless. You probably messed up your engine pretty bad since you chose to neglect it. I hope you didn't because that would suck. And I know about piecing a turbo kit together but I don't see what that has to do with anything.

In the future don't run around with distilled water. I have an unopened bottle of AF I keep in the ride just in case. Doesn't cost anything. I'm sorry but to me that sounds just cheap as hell.
i completely understand what youre saying. yes, it was my neglect. the second it happened i admitted to my gf that it was 100% my fault and explained to her why. according to this helms pic i think i found which hose it was. i am just in a bit of a panic cuz she needs the car running. maybe i skipped over that hose while inspecting.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok im a retard... i know a lot of you are thinking "you didnt need to type it for us to realize it"

im going to copy and paste the new issues that have arised.

**** all this **** is happening right before i move...

so in the summer i put distilled water in the radiator of the civic. i forgot and it froze over. now the car is sipping coolant like kool-aid. i dont see any leaks on the floor and i cant tell if the car is leaking cuz of the snow everywhere.

anyway... i tried warming it up for like 30 min., drove it for like a minute and the coolant stays the same. its driven for 30 min and coolant is gone. refilled it this morning and 1/2 a gallon was gone, no leaks seen on the floor. no smoke from the tailpipe fyi. i checked the dipstick and doesnt appear to have coolant mixed with the oil.

heat works fine and no wet spots on carpet so its not leaking from the heater core. how can i tell that i didnt crack a water passage on the block or make sure its not the head gasket?
oh and pressure definitely isnt holding. like when i massage the upper rad hose it feels like theres no pressure and when i pop the rad cap while the motor has been driven, coolant doesnt explode all over
Originally Posted by anon
it's prob being burnt...exhaust sweet?

autozone rents out coolant pressure tester i think.
it smells like fuel to me, nothing like coolant, but i may be wrong. how can so much be burned within 30 min without any visible smoke?

ill call and see if they do. its easy to test right? lol

and if it passes the pressure test, could my hg still be blown? i know id have to replace the rad cap if it passes
Originally Posted by anon
if it leaks that much, it won't pass pressure test hehe. it'll be leaking somewhere for sure. listen for sputtering and hissing
:fuu:

more background...

3 days ago the idle was really rough. like really really rough and bouncing up and down. got no heat. i just let it warm up to do i forget what and turned it off. 2 days ago molly was driving the car and it was shaking bad at idle and the motor felt like it was gonna die, according to her. heater hose popped and blew up. i then remembered that i had water in the system so i immediately fixed the hose and replaced the system with coolant. car drives 100% normal other than the coolant loss. :fuu: i dont want to pay a shop a grand to fix a car that imma sell for a couple hundred :fuu:

so basically... if it fails the pressure test... the radiator is cracked, a hose is leaking or the head gasket is blown... are those all the possibilities?
only reason i want to get this car running is because my gf needs a car until feb, when i move back to ca.

Last edited by imbest123; 12-08-2010 at 08:36 AM.