Old 08-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emblem questions.

Modified by projectkle at 4:40 PM 11/6/2007
Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Emblem questions. (projectkle)

Modified by EM1ly at 9:21 AM 4/12/2008
Old 08-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dental floss behind the emblems I hear works. Goo gone after or brake cleaner to tak off the adhesive
Old 08-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they should just be stuck on ther with glue. take a paint scraper and duct tape horizontally across the top edge of the scraper on each side. (so as to not scrape ur paint) then take a hair dryer to the emblems and u CAREFULLY pry off the emblem. then just use adhesive remover on the rest of the glue left and wax the area wen ur done to basicaly seal the paint.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:44 PM

I dont know if it will leave holes but do NOT use brake cleaner. Use a heat gun and dental floos or a credit card. After that use goo gone or glue residue remover.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only the Honda "H" is held on with with the plastic pins, I believe. You should be in the clear to bust out the dental floss.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 PM

my civic emblem on my 94 fell off, it was a sort of sticky substance sort of like ticky tac. pretty sure it would be the same.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:46 AM

the emblems are stuck on with glue. after you remove them, there will be a very light imprint of the emblems, but sometimes that can be removed by buffing/waxing.

anyways, to get the emblems off, go to Autozone (or whatever auto parts store), and tell them that you have some bumper stickers you need to remove. they should direct you to some sticker removal spray.

spray a ton on the emblems and let sit for a while. then try to gently peel off the emblems (leaving the car outside on a hot day will help make it all gooey). its OK if the emblems break, since you dont want them anyway.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:48 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (projectkle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projectkle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want to remove the "Civic" and "CX" emblem but I don't know if it will leave the holes. Can you guys help me out and tell me. I've been wanting to take it out for a long time.
thanks. </TD></TR></TABLE>
There are no holes behind the "Civic" badge or the trim badge. There are two holes behind the Honda "H" on the rear though.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know if it will leave holes but do NOT use brake cleaner. Use a heat gun and dental floos or a credit card. After that use goo gone or glue residue remover.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Brake cleaner works just fine. I'm afraid you might be getting confused with brake fluid, which you don't want on your paint.

LOTS of things will wipe off bare paint. Simple Green will remove bare paint (try it on your interior paint under the carpet). The clearcoat is what keeps that fragile paint safe though.

Brake cleaner WILL NOT eat through clearcoat. I remove tough adhesive from my customer's cars with brake cleaner all the time. It's never caused any damage and my customers have all been very happy with the results.

Anyway though, here's how I remove emblems.

- Wash the car. You want a clean surface before you start rubbing the paint. You don't want to rub dirt into the paint.

- Get a hairdryer and heat up the emblems. Eventually the adhesive behind them will be gooey and you can remove the emblem.

- Now you'll only have to deal with the adhesive. Use the hairdryer to heat it as you go along since this will make it easier to work with. You can use a plastic razor blade and Goo Gone to remove the adhesive, OR if you have really bad adhesive (some looks like rubber cement), you can swab some brake cleaner onto the area and let it sit a few seconds. You should be able to use the plastic razor to scrape the adhesive off now.

- After you've removed all of the adhesive, wash the rear of the car again and then dry the area. Follow up with a clay bar (that will make sure everything is off), a polish and a wax to protect the area. If you have any tan lines around where the emblems were, you might want to try a compound.

Oh, and don't use a credit card. Their hard material and sharp edges make it more likely that you'll damage the clearcoat.

Here's me removing emblems off a friend's Audi. That's him in the background. He was very pleased with the results.

And an after pic too...

Old 08-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys
Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 PM

bringing this back from the dead. its a good write up on removing old emblems.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Emblem questions. (DA9_DAD)

lol i used a credit card and some goo gone.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:33 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Emblem questions. (DCSportEJ1Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DCSportEJ1Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol i used a credit card and some goo gone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Credit cards are made of nylon, and nylon scratches clearcoat.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Emblem questions. (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Credit cards are made of nylon, and nylon scratches clearcoat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i didnt say that it was the best way to do it. but its how i did it. its not going to be that noticeable unless your using an unnecessary amount of force.