Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EM1 in terms of road racing/daily?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EM1 in terms of road racing/daily?

looking for help on deciding which is best for a daily driving car that looks good and can be a fairly modded good weekend car for track days. i like the EM1 the most but i want to know what are the negatives on getting that model compared to the other 2 JDM models EK9, DC2.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: EM1 in terms of road racing/daily?

Its a matter of choice really.
All three models have adequate aftermarket support for racing.
What you can do with one you can do with all.
So positives... good support on all three.
Negatives there arent really any , you just have to choose.
Either way each one will give you a good platform to start with.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're starting fresh, I would start with a DC2. Larger motor to start with, more power, and a better "stock bottom end" limit than the B16.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DC2 is a better canvas if you're going from stock and don't want to do any major modifications.
A 96-97 CX USDM Civic Hatchback however, with lets say a B, H, or K or even a built/turbo D can boogie. there's many combinations with Honda's as there's been many trial and error setups that you can look at. Because there's so many instructions/tutorials/DIY's you can easily do a motor swap yourself with the right tools. Pick the chassis you want, find the engine you want and combine them to build the ride that suits you.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO if your going to want a DD/Track car you are going to want to start with a lighter chasis than a em1 or dc2. My vote goes to a cx/vx 92-95 civic hatch. Then buy good QUALITY suspension and put a STOCK d16z6 sohc vtec in the car and learn to drive with moderate power. Learn to drive the car not learn to drive the power. Seat time with those modds will make you a better track/street driver than doing/buying swaped car with bigger power you dont know how to use.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CO671
DC2 is a better canvas if you're going from stock and don't want to do any major modifications.
A 96-97 CX USDM Civic Hatchback however, with lets say a B, H, or K or even a built/turbo D can boogie. there's many combinations with Honda's as there's been many trial and error setups that you can look at. Because there's so many instructions/tutorials/DIY's you can easily do a motor swap yourself with the right tools. Pick the chassis you want, find the engine you want and combine them to build the ride that suits you.

right now i have the ex coupe 95 non abs with gc/tokicos and a fairly modded bolt on stuff, ls non-vti all motor. i just like the em1 chassis is all. i am going to go b18c5 soon with b16 lsd trans and then wait for the upcoming new 2013 R's to see if that is better than a k swap with variable after market parts and i'll be saving for either of those on the side. Thanks for everyones help! Em1 with swap it is! ill do that learning to drive with power thing too when i first buy it as another user stated. ill still need to buy suspension and chassis reinforcement/anti-sway anyways before i drive it with a stronger swap haha.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say an Em1...
My brother has one and its a very fun car to drive. With how good the vtec noise and hard it kicks in. A bit less gas then a Tegg for the streets and is harder to find meaning a Em1 will always have its value unless salvage. You can never go wrong with a b16 reilability and a big market for it just like any of the other 3.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
If you're starting fresh, I would start with a DC2. Larger motor to start with, more power, and a better "stock bottom end" limit than the B16.
^This.

Although i would bet an EM1 is lighter than a GSR
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdmh22eg2
IMO if your going to want a DD/Track car you are going to want to start with a lighter chasis than a em1 or dc2. My vote goes to a cx/vx 92-95 civic hatch. Then buy good QUALITY suspension and put a STOCK d16z6 sohc vtec in the car and learn to drive with moderate power. Learn to drive the car not learn to drive the power. Seat time with those modds will make you a better track/street driver than doing/buying swaped car with bigger power you dont know how to use.
^ this......

I dont road racer personally, but after reading this, Id guess jdmh22eg does. A close friend of mine road races a M3 and the thing is insane. He's only running low 400 hp numbers, but Ive sat in the passenger seat for a few hot laps and Ive never been so scared in my life, lol. Learning to race (not a quarter mile) is a difficult undertaking. Starting with a d16z6 and learning to do it correctly would make the most sense. Then worry about getting into a b18c5 or something...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
^ this......

I dont road racer personally, but after reading this, Id guess jdmh22eg does. A close friend of mine road races a M3 and the thing is insane. He's only running low 400 hp numbers, but Ive sat in the passenger seat for a few hot laps and Ive never been so scared in my life, lol. Learning to race (not a quarter mile) is a difficult undertaking. Starting with a d16z6 and learning to do it correctly would make the most sense. Then worry about getting into a b18c5 or something...
:QFT:
Start with the stock motor get out there and get seat time.
Doing the " I have to build it before i can run it" stuff doesn't help you learn to drive at all.
I don't know your level of experience but i can say from what you have told us your experience is low.
Don't make the classic mistake of building a car, with every go fast part you can buy only to have a horribly handling car that you cant drive.
You will learn more car control and better driving habits with an underpowered car than something that has more power and make your learning curve that much harder.
Go slow and as you get more driving experience on the track should you consider adding sway bars better shock and springs etc....
I know some very very good drivers that can take a bone stock car and embarrass some very very fast cars and their drivers.
Its not the car thats fast... its the driver.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
:QFT:
Start with the stock motor get out there and get seat time.
Doing the " I have to build it before i can run it" stuff doesn't help you learn to drive at all.
I don't know your level of experience but i can say from what you have told us your experience is low.
Don't make the classic mistake of building a car, with every go fast part you can buy only to have a horribly handling car that you cant drive.
You will learn more car control and better driving habits with an underpowered car than something that has more power and make your learning curve that much harder.
Go slow and as you get more driving experience on the track should you consider adding sway bars better shock and springs etc....
I know some very very good drivers that can take a bone stock car and embarrass some very very fast cars and their drivers.
Its not the car thats fast... its the driver.
Man I guess racing really is a lifestyle. That is a lot of Time, Patience, Money and Effort. I think I'll chose a cheaper hobby and just leave my DD as is. low 'n' slow VW's and making Music sounds good. Thanks for the tip guys!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ummmm, i drive an em1 with a stock b16 and i feel its boring,, u need to start with a 180hp to enjoy the car.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also depends where you live at. If you live in cali and want a track car as a daily driver.... Yeah goodluck not getting pulled over. Specially if you pick an EM1.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
^ this......

No i acually do not race myself (only cause i a family and not deep enough pockets to do it) however i work in the field, building/ crewing/seting up suspension for local scca F production lotus. I have also spent ALOT of time in/around tracks and drivers. But i know what it takes to learn and make mistakes. the BIGGEST reason other than learning to drive your medium hp is if you go full tilt on hp/mods you will end up being put in a class YOU HAVE NO BIZ being, and will result in quiting/ giving up due to lack of competitiveness. And in the end you will have just waisted THOUSANDS for nothing but frustration