Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EM1 Distributor oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EM1 Distributor oil leak

Car is a 2000 civic si with the original b16.

My distributor is leaking oil at what appears to be the o-ring. I have replaced the o-ring with the OEM one, and it still leaks. There is a little bit of shaft play, so could there be an internal problem? I don't want to replace the dizzy if that's not the real problem.

-Dan
Old 10-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EM1 Distributor oil leak

I have the same problem, after I replaced the O-ring I cleaned where it leaked with engine degreaser and after a month altho is not dirty with oil as before there's seems to be a smaller leak as the tranny is dirty with oil again.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya my tranny gets covered in oil pretty quick, and then it drips onto my driveway. I can clean it all off and start my engine, and watch it drip from the o-ring area.

But I guess my question is: is there supposed to be any shaft play at all, or does any shaft play at all mean the dizzy is bad?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I had the same prob with my d16y8, the honda mechanic said that even after you replace the o ring if there is shaft play it will still leak, this common, only real solution is a new dizzy.

He was wrong with my car and it was not my dizzy leaking again (had o ring done before)

By the way are you sure it is the dizzy, did you take a flash light and look directly under it and put your hand to make sure it is fresh oil? Have you replaced your vtec spool valve gasket yet?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
I thought I had the same prob with my d16y8, the honda mechanic said that even after you replace the o ring if there is shaft play it will still leak, this common, only real solution is a new dizzy.

He was wrong with my car and it was not my dizzy leaking again (had o ring done before)
What was it?? did you replace the dizzy and the leak stopped?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d3ls0ls1
What was it?? did you replace the dizzy and the leak stopped?
I should of been clear, I went in for the spool valve gasket to be replaced again, I noticed oil pooling, I made sure was with the mechanic, has said he thinks it is the dizzy, I had him do the spool valve again with honda bond. A week later it was still leaking oil, then I just replaced the top spool valve gasket on my own ( he did the body one that meets the block) seems better 2 weeks later still oil on the full mark.

I was chasing this leak for years.

Side note, I was back last year to the dealer and one mechanic said it is the headgasket leaking oil, luckily I didn't do it, I would of been out of 1000 bucks or so, and still would of leaked.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic

By the way are you sure it is the dizzy, did you take a flash light and look directly under it and put your hand to make sure it is fresh oil? Have you replaced your vtec spool valve gasket yet?
I can see the oil come straight down from where the dizzy meets the head. I have done the vtec switch gasket and I know its not leaking. There are no other leaks on the whole engine, so I can get it pretty clean and see clearly where the oil is coming from. Its most likely the dizzy, I just wanted to get some more confirmation before I spent the money on a new one.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem on a D16. Even after replacing the distributor o-ring I still had a leak. What I did was put a bead of 3M silicon paste (or Hondabond) along the base of the distributor where it meets the block. Then reinstalled the distributor.Cured the leak.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00siboy
I can see the oil come straight down from where the dizzy meets the head. I have done the vtec switch gasket and I know its not leaking. There are no other leaks on the whole engine, so I can get it pretty clean and see clearly where the oil is coming from. Its most likely the dizzy, I just wanted to get some more confirmation before I spent the money on a new one.
Then going back to your question, shaft play is not good and will cause it to still leak even with a new o ring.