Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EM1: Car jerks when let off gas and Code 4

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EM1: Car jerks when let off gas and Code 4

b16A2:

My wife's 2000 Civic SiR (Canada) jerks lightly (sometimes not so lightly) when you let off the gas. Even when you really slowly let off the gas it jerks; it does this in every gear. I ran a search on this problem and was only able to find that a lot of people would seem to blame this problem on faulty engine mounts. If you would be inclined to agree, then which mount would I most likely be looking at and what would I be looking for? (cracked rubber bushing?...I've never seen a wrecked mount before)

To add to the problem, her CEL is throwing a code 4 indicating a problem with the Crank Position Sensor. I understand that this sensor is in the distributor and that to replace it I'd need to purchase the whole dist. sub assembly. Is this a pricey item? Is there a Crank Position Sensor that I could salvage for cheap from another engine?

Lastly, does the CEL mean that the sensor is reading a problem or that it needs to be replaced?

Thanks for your help!!!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EM1: Car jerks when let off gas and Code 4 (Mister V)

bump...
Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

The code means that the sensor is going bad or there's an issue with the wiring. Try replacing the distributor, it should get rid of the code. If the CEL is not the cause of the stuttering, it may be transmission-related.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wiZCo)

Yeah...as it turns out, the car doesn't get jerky until the engine warms up. So that would eliminate the engine mount hypothesis....could the messed up sensor be, in any way, creating the jerk?
Old 07-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mister V)

Still nothing? What's the etiquette for how many bumps before giving up on a thread?

Anyhow....bump...
Old 08-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sumbody!!!

An old question with no real answer. Anyhow...anyone ever bought a distrib off of the ebay store distributor king? They are about 100 dollars cheaper than anything in the city here even with shipping.

Opinions?

Thnks!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the sensor could be causing the jerking as it's responsible for coordinating fueling/timing efforts along with the other two sensors in the distributor. Take off your distributor cap. Any red dust in there by chance? How many miles on the motor?

To replace it means replacing the distributor sub-assembly. Some have swapped the CPS from another housing and been successful. Some have used Distributor King distributors and been successful. Even fewer have been successful with Advanced Auto Parts distributors and places like it. But 'some' turns to 'all' when using OEM ignition components, so I'd personally stick with that.

It's 100 bucks cheaper...but how often are you replacing it? Do it right the first time with ignition components and stick with OEM.

And engine mounts go bad. Doing a t-belt job (2 months ago) on my wifes '00 Ex (~90k), I found the drivers side front lower mount had torn one of its rubber legs. This is a bone stock car too. The rear mount and the front lower two mounts absorb a lot of the back-n-forth rocking of the engine. The front lower two mounts are called torque mounts for a reason (which is why I never understood why some people conveniently delete them when doing a swap).
Old 08-29-2007, 07:13 PM

Default buyer beware re Distributor King

I purchased a DK distributor for a Chrysler Cirrus 2.5 L engine. Within 3 months after the unit was installed the car developed serious ignition problems. Diagnosis: failed distributor. Distributor King's policy is no returns, no refunds. However they do offer to take a unit back allegedly to troubleshoot it and refurbish or replace it as necessary. I went through the trouble of returning my DK product, and they certified it as "not defective," cleaned it up, and returned it. By then another after-market distributor was in the car and the car ran fine and has run fine since. I passed on the Distributor King unit to another Mopar 2.5L owner, who reported distributor failure within 500 miles. After I contacted Distributor King a second time, the agent, Sylvain Carrier, requested a return of the unit and offered a full refund, shipping costs included. The unit was returned but the refund has not been made. The shop handling this unit, and possibly all other Distributor King distributors, is Richporter Technology of Richmond, British Columbia. Keep in mind that the Distributor King listings on ebay show mostly positive feedback. But that feedback may be just the result of prompt delivery. It doesn't prove anything about the reliability of Distributor King distributors, that one would expect to perform for years.