Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EM1/B18c5 swap - How do I replace the crank pulley that fell off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EM1/B18c5 swap - How do I replace the crank pulley that fell off?

First time doing it, I've searched about it quite a bit but can't really get a straight answer. Just need some beginner pointers pretty much, just wondering if it's just bolt on and go or do I need to set to TDC? I don't think I do as it has nothing to do with my timing, can someone please let me know. Also does anyone know the torque specs?? Thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 04:26 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Replacing crank pulley

It just bolts on. I can't remember the torque specs right off.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You need a tool it's like a chain and it has vise scrips. This holds the pulley in place cause it will stop on the axle. Then use a half inch drie / breaker bar with enough extensions to get out of the wheel well. Have someone hold the extension straight and have someone else use a pipe on the end of the breaker bar and have them put their weight on it a few times, and that sucker should pop loose. It's a 19mm bolt and tourqe it down to 130lbs hope this helps
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You MUST provide all pertinent information about your car and engine. Failure to do so may result in thread closure.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:47 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

OP, if you're claiming that the crank pulley has nothing to do with timing, DO NOT WASTE your time by attempting to do the work yourself. You will f*ck up and then make another thread why your car doesn't turn over after CP removal/re-install.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by NVturbo
OP, if you're claiming that the crank pulley has nothing to do with timing, DO NOT WASTE your time by attempting to do the work yourself.
It doesn't have anything to do with timing. It has marks on it to set the ignition timing, but that's it. You can only put the crank pulley on one way.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by 94EG8
It doesn't have anything to do with timing. It has marks on it to set the ignition timing, but that's it. You can only put the crank pulley on one way.
I understand that...but if the crank is spun, timing belt is off, how would the timing be right once everything is put back together? I've seen camshafts bend due to wrong alignment. The cams, cam gears and crank pulley all need to be TDC. With this method, it cranks every time and timing is perfect.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed. while it is always good practice to set the car to tdc. if you are just swapping the pulley then it isnt really needed.

OP, remove accessory belts. use pulley holder tool to crack the bolt loose. keep track of your woodruff key and reinstall. thats pretty much it.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by NVturbo
I understand that...but if the crank is spun, timing belt is off, how would the timing be right once everything is put back together? I've seen camshafts bend due to wrong alignment. The cams, cam gears and crank pulley all need to be TDC. With this method, it cranks every time and timing is perfect.
It doesn't sound like he's removing the timing belt, just swapping the crank pulley (sometimes they get chipped, broken or just plain fall off)
Old 02-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It doesn't sound like he's removing the timing belt, just swapping the crank pulley (sometimes they get chipped, broken or just plain fall off)
Yup. I think sometimes people forget the the actual timing belt doesn't wrap around the crank pulley itself. Instead its on the oil pump gear.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies but I'm still not clear lol, guess you could say mixed responses. Can anyone clear it up for me?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by revhardEK
Thanks for the replies but I'm still not clear lol, guess you could say mixed responses. Can anyone clear it up for me?
What exactly is unclear to you?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
What exactly is unclear to you?
Do I need to set TDC like some people said or do I just bolt on and go like others said?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do I need to set TDC like some people said or do I just bolt on and go like others said?
Save for one misguided member, the thread overwhelming tells you not to be concerned with TDC/mechanical timing if you ONLY need to replace the crank pulley.

But to provide the most informed answer, you need to give more information. Why are you replacing the crank pulley? And what car/engine do you have? Did you read my earlier post?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: Replacing crank pulley

Save for one misguided member, the thread overwhelming tells you not to be concerned with TDC/mechanical timing if you ONLY need to replace the crank pulley.

But to provide the most informed answer, you need to give more information. Why are you replacing the crank pulley? And what car/engine do you have? Did you read my earlier post?
Yeah I noticed most said not to worry about TDC but that doesn't sit well with me, I want to know for sure if I can! I'm sure you understand, I don't need to mess up my car. Sorry, I meant to reply. It's a low compression turboed b18c5 in an em1
Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah I noticed most said not to worry about TDC but that doesn't sit well with me, I want to know for sure if I can! I'm sure you understand, I don't need to mess up my car. Sorry, I meant to reply. It's a low compression turboed b18c5 in an em1
Are you NOT able to answer question put to you?
Why are you replacing the crank pulley? And what car/engine do you have? Did you read my earlier post?
Out of three you only answered 1.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Are you NOT able to answer question put to you?

Out of three you only answered 1.
Wow relax, I just woke up. Who was talking to you anyway? The crank pulley fell off while I was driving. That's why it's being replaced. I answered 2 actually
Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm talking to YOU on a public forum. Advice. Continue to not answer questions put to you or not listen to the overwhelming advice given to you and your thread may very well get locked. I've seen it happen. So if I were YOU I'd provide every single bit of information requested and then some.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your main concerns should be to find out the reason the pulley fell off and whether in the process the end of crankshaft was damaged. Not installing or failing to install the timing gear guide plates is a common cause for this problem.

Last edited by Former User; 02-12-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm talking to YOU on a public forum. Advice. Continue to not answer questions put to you or not listen to the overwhelming advice given to you and your thread may very well get locked. I've seen it happen. So if I were YOU I'd provide every single bit of information requested and then some.
I'm just looking for some help man. I don't need your childish attitude, happens way too much around here. Grow up. Thanks for the help guys!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EM1/B18c5 swap - How do I replace the crank pulley that fell off?

Thread warning - please keep all discussions here focused on tech.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EM1/B18c5 swap - How do I replace the crank pulley that fell off?

Don't know if you've already gotten the answer or not but to help answer your question, there is a keyway/woodruff key on the crank shaft that lines the pulley up in the correct orientation (this is true for most all Hondas so the motor/chassis doesn't matter!). Make sure that you have this key in place, slide the pulley on and tighten it down using a 19mm socket and the special tool to keep the crank from spinning.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hes seen a thread closed before so be careful, lol