Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EM1 + B18C - Clutch problem and question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EM1 + B18C - Clutch problem and question

So im having a problem with my clutch / hydraulics, and im stumped.

Ive searched on the forum, and found answers, sort of, but my symptoms are not exactly the same as what i have read on here.

My car is a 99 EM1, and the previous owner swapped in a 2000 B18C
Afaik, the clutch slave cylinder is the one that came with the swap, but my understanding is that there is no difference in slave cylinders between the SI and the Integra.

Symptoms.
Some mornings when i go out to start my car, i will put it in gear, and push the clutch in then try and start it. Every once in a while, the clutch is not fully disengaged, and the car tries to move forward. To remedy this, ill pull the clutch pedal all the way up and then back down. It will start just fine, no lurching forward, or any noises. It will continue to work properly until, im assuming, the fluid gets too warm, or something decides that it doesnt want to work anymore. Generally its after about 20 mins of driving at normal operating conditions. After that, it starts to get hard to put it into gear; it will grind into first or any gear for that matter if im at a stop, etc. etc. If my car sits for a while, like between when i get to work and when i goto lunch, when i drive to go get lunch, it will do the same thing (approx. 4 hours)

I cant see any leaks, and ive looked everywhere that i possibly can. Ive bled the lines multiple times and to me, it seems that there couldnt possibly be air in the system, cause most of the time, the clutch feels fine, engagement point is a little weird, but otherwise fine. The clutch was replaced approximately a year ago.

So my question(s) are: will an integra master cylinder mount to the em without having to fabricate/drill holes? Would that even help? What would cause my problems to be so intermittent? And what can i do? Do i just have to start throwing parts in? I read another thread where someone replaced both the master and slave and that didnt solve their problems, but there was never really an answer given to what it was.

help please!
Old 06-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: EM1 + B18C - Clutch problem and question

It does sound like the clutch slave cylinder. I'd replace it anyway and see what happens.

BTW, how does the car go...with the B18C?? I am about to do the same swap, same car
Old 06-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check all of the lines to see if you are leaking any fluid. You need to bleed your clutch sounds like you have air in your lines. Don't just bleed it a few times and call it done. Make sure you bleed it until you don't see anymore air bubbles coming out.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
It does sound like the clutch slave cylinder. I'd replace it anyway and see what happens.

BTW, how does the car go...with the B18C?? I am about to do the same swap, same car
Like a bat out of hell.

I have bled the lines a couple times, and all of those times, i filled the reservoir 3 - 4+ times, and saw no bubbles coming out. I think im just gonna replace the slave and see what happens. Its cheap enough that i can do that. Master cylinder is a little different tho.

Thanks for the advice, and if you can think of anything else, please post in here.

Last edited by 6gSI; 06-28-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turned out to be a broken clutch pedal bracket for those who are interested.

still having a couple problems. but i think its master related. CHECK YOUR CLUTCH PEDAL BRACKET.

thanks for the replies.