Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ELECTRICAL WIRING HELP

Old 08-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ELECTRICAL WIRING HELP

OK Yes I know i made a thread about Autometer tachometers installation guide, unfortunately for me my own thread can't even help me. Basically the wirings for my tachometer is different and maybe some of you guys who are electrical gurus can help. Serious help only, no guesses, no spam, no hatred telling me I need to search when I already did. After all this is a tech question. What throws me off is the orange wire.

Car is a 1999 Civic CX
Tachometer is a Defi Step Graph
SOrry to bother everybody but I have some questions regarding my tachometer installation I hope you guys can answer ALL of them by NUMBER SEQUENCE. Normally I wouldn't have any problem installing aftermarket tachs but since this one is not Autometer, I got kind of confused plus this is my first installation on a Honda.

Here's a quick wiring diagram of my tach:

Here's an Autometer wiring diagram:

Now to the questions-
1. White wire- Does it make a difference if I tap into the instrument lights or the dimmer switch? At first I was going to tap into the dimmer switch since doing so can dim my tach as I dim the instrument cluster lights but then wouldn't the dimmer switch still dim my tach if I just tap into the instrument lights because in doing so would make my tach a part of the instrument light's circuit?

2. Orange wire- This is one of the wires that confuses me the most and the only wire that doesn't exist on Autometer tachs. When I was installing Autometer tachs, it didn't have a wire that I have to connect to a "12v wire on ignition on" not like my Defi tach. I would just normally connect the red normal power wire (see Autometer wiring diagram) to a power from a radio. Do I connect this wire to the wire coming off the "ignition-on" off the ignition key?

3. Red wire- This is the normal power wire that "connects to 12v wire." Should I connect this to a power wire coming off the radio? I also read on 12volt.com that on a 2000 Civic, there's a constant 12v wire on the white wire coming off the ignition switch harness. Can I hook this red wire here since basically I want all of my connections to be as close as it can to each other .

4. Signal wire that connects to ignition coil- I know Hondas are prewired for tachs but I'm thinking of tapping into the wire off the ignition coil fuse in the fuse box since I want my connectiosn be be close to each other. It would be closed to the instrument light fuse(if I can't tap into the dimmer switch, i'll just tap into the instrument light fuse), close to some source of ground, and the red normal power wire (in which I'm planning of tapping into the white wire off the ignition in which I've researched from the12volt.com is a constant 12v wire)

If you think my connections are wrong can you PLEASE provide me with the right connections and color wires to tap into as possible. Also try to answer each questiosn by sequence and provide me with a definite answer. I really dont want to ask you guys since theres a lot of tachometer installations already and I even did a DIY yourself writeup but this particualr tach just got me confused and I've only worked on Nissan wirings like this.
Thanks by the way!

Old 08-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ELECTRICAL WIRING HELP (BrokeAssPinoy)

HELP ANYONE?
Old 08-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ELECTRICAL WIRING HELP (BrokeAssPinoy)

Here's what I did so that all the wires are close to one another.

WHT- headlight fuse (never tried dimmer)
ORG- ignition source from fusebox (forget which one, but test light helps)
RED- 12V source from fusebox (forget which one, but test light helps)
TACH- blue wire on the cluster plug

straightforward, yes?
Old 08-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: ELECTRICAL WIRING HELP (maztur)

This is how i did mine.

White: Dimmer Switch

ORG: didnt have a orange but if you say it goes to the ignition then look up Turbo Timers and see where your ignition is on the ignition itself, i cant remember which it is off the top of my head. Or just tap into the radio constant wire.

Red: Off the batt or whatever you want.

Signal (mine was green): off of my ECU. I did off the dizzy but it was crap never got a good reading, so i went off the ecu instead.

HTH