Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Electrical Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Starting Problem

Hi,

I'm having a problem starting my 1995 Honda Civic sometimes. Here are the symptoms and situation when it won't start:

The car has power in the ACC and ON key positions (stereo, lights, overhead light all work). When I turn to START position, there is an audible click and the entire electrical system cuts out. Dies. Ceases to have any power whatsoever. If I go back to the ACC or ON, there isn't any power there either. When I jumper-cable to another persons battery, the power immediately comes back on in my car (lights work again, CD spits out, etc.), and I can start it just fine.

There aren't any problems with it running, and this doesn't happen every time. It has been happening more recently though, which has me worried (used to be once a month, maybe; now maybe a couple times a week).

I had a mechanic friend of mine check out the battery with a battery tester "thing". He said it had good voltage and current, but now that I think about it he was testing it with the car on and running (i.e. being charged by the alternator). So I don't want to rule out it being a battery problem, but I don't think thats what it is. He said to clean the terminals and that would take care of it. I think the problem is more "car" and less "battery" but I'm not that good with cars.

Anybody know what is happening and what to do to fix it?

Thanks for any help

Kolea
Old 09-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove the negative cable from the battery while the car is running, if the car dies, then your alternator needs to be replaced

i don't think that's your problem though... i think it's one of two problems

it's either battery going to **** (most likely) or loose wires at the battery terminal... make sure your battery posts are clean of corrosion and so are the terminals.... i would sand them down a little... then attach the terminals tightly to the battery... if it still keeps happening then it's your battery...

once a regular automotive battery gets discharged a few times, it becomes harder and harder to keep a charge and the battery dies eventually or has to be jumped all the time to get it started....

i suggest you get a yellow top optima battery... it's a deep cycle battery with great cold cranking amps that you can discharge many times more compared to a regular battery and it still won't stop keeping charge....

also, the cranking amps provide great starting power...

good luck!