Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

electrical problem plz help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problem plz help

first off dont say search i did. when i thought it was the ELD i searched got the information and replaced the ELD (electronic load detector), that wasnt it so i changed altenator, that wasnt it my belt was bad so i changed that, still no results so i changed the battery, and ive checked what i think is all the wires every where all the grounds etc. i even had my dash out to check... heres the problem.
two nights ago i was driving to the beach, my cars turbo im running a safc-2 and the battery voltage was normally at 14.5 or around that... after about 30 minutes into the trip when i let off the gas things started diming: lights, interior stuff... my car felt like it was cutting back, etc. so i checked the safc and when i let off the gas it goes down to 13 volts but if i give it gas it goes up to 20+ volts which is extremly weird... i stated above what ive already replaced if neone knows what i should try next plz respond..

in case it matters car is a 93 del sol d16z6
garrett t-25 turbo
safc-2, greddy turbo timer
dsm 450cc injectors etc....
everything is wired correctly its been turbo for over 2 months with no problem and as soon as this started i rewired the safc and timer...
Old 02-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: electrical problem plz help (ncskate)

Sounds like something is just pulling more power then its suppose to. I have the same problem and the only 2 things we have in common is VAFC and Turbo timer. They might be pulling to much for your batt.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:01 AM

Default Re: electrical problem plz help (Luserkid)

sounds reasonable but would that make the car push over 20v when i press the gas? oh and it only does it after the cars warmed up, drive for over 10 minutes, also this is running nothing but safc-2, turbo timer, and some times headlights some times not, and sometimes radio but mostly i turn that off to make sure. no air, no heat...
Old 02-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

taking an educated guess here..
voltage regulator maybe???
Old 02-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the voltage regulator in the alternator. If you happen to be using a rebuilt unit from AutoZone or the like, then take it back and get a new one. They have been known to be faulty out of the box.

Are you still getting the ELD code?

You say you 'checked' the grounds - what do you mean - visually? Unless you unbolted them and cleaned them or used a multi-meter to measure voltage drops, don't rely to heavily on the visual inspection.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: electrical problem plz help (EE_Chris)

na not visually checked grounds i mean i just swaped clutches two weeks ago so when this happend i immediatly thought it wasnt grounded good i removed cleaned sanded the areas and replaced tightly.

the altenator on the car was stock, i bought a new one... same problem, figured it was a defective so i took a altenator off my friends working civic and it still does the same thing.

when i was done replacing the alt. the first time i cleared the ecu and it through a ELD code again then i replaced the fuse box again because the ELD plug on the multimeter measured good according to the directions through haynes then the eld code went away so i drove it same thing happend with the power, so i put my friends altnator on and drove off and on the rest of the day no eld code or engine code at all for that matter but it still dims and pushes 20+V
Old 02-22-2005, 07:21 PM

got all the wires hooked up to the alternator right? thought i throw something in. hope you figure out your problem
Old 02-23-2005, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI: Your ECU isn't going to tolerate 20v+ for very long.....

So whats the timeline: You had things hooked up and working flawlessly for the past two months. You swap in a clutch and now your alternator is throwing out 20v+. When, and why, did you decide the re-wire your AFC and turbo timer?

Tell me all the grounds you cleaned/checked?

Throw me your e-mail addy and I can send you a .pdf about Hondas Charging System (you'll need a meter to make use of the info and it seems you have this item).