Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Electrical Problem - Need desperate help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem - Need desperate help!

Ok so I've had an electrical problem for a the past year? but the problem seems to go away sometimes for months or weeks and then comes back. But now its happening all the time. I have search the forum every where looking for the answer. I've found a couple peoples forums, but what they did to fix it, did not fix my problem.

BTW Keep in mind these problems happen 90% in the day time or hot weather.

Problem 1
While driving, whether in motion or not, all power will kick off. But the car does not die. The power kicks off to the entire car, then back on immediately. It seems to happen randomly. It also happens after I turn off the ignition but while leaving the power on, not every time but it happens a lot. sometimes the power to the stereo will kick on and off rapidly. Eventually the fuse for the radio blew and i replaced it.

Problem 2 (more recent but more troubling problem)
Sometimes when I put the key in the ignition and turn the power on, there will be no power at all. none. But if i leave it in the power position, it will come on magically. This problem happens more often when I turn off the car, then turn it on within 10 minutes. For example when I am getting gas, or I run into a store. Sometimes in the power position there will be a very very faint beep but no power to anything else, if i turn it back 1 postion the beeping is loud and consistant. But then i'll turn it back to the power position, no power.

Non working solutions I've tried.

New Battery
New Altertantor
New Ignition Switch
Checked and sanded ground wires (specifically one attached to thermostat housing.)

I am in no way an expert or mechanic, but my mechanic and friends have no other answers for me.

Please please someone help me!

Rob

Last edited by x1208x; 07-19-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Electrical Problem - Need desperate help!

sounds very electrical. the on and off sounds like its shorting out. maybe on another wire? just get a machanic that specializes in electric stuff. dont forget to always check your fuses =]
Old 07-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was going to say ignition switch, but since you covered that the only thing i could recommend is getting a new key cut, not that that would make sense, but who knows. sounds like a bad connection at the ignition switch or a short in the wiring to the switch.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Choy
sounds very electrical. the on and off sounds like its shorting out. maybe on another wire? just get a machanic that specializes in electric stuff. dont forget to always check your fuses =]
Checked fuses. None are bad. Which other wire?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by schardbody
i was going to say ignition switch, but since you covered that the only thing i could recommend is getting a new key cut, not that that would make sense, but who knows. sounds like a bad connection at the ignition switch or a short in the wiring to the switch.
Ok I've been using the original honda key, I had a spare key cut a while back. I'll try it tonight. Do you think these 2 problems are related?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you changed the electrical portion of your ignition (wires)

do you have an alarm or did you have one previously?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by parce85
so you changed the electrical portion of your ignition (wires)

do you have an alarm or did you have one previously?
Yes the ignition switch came with an entire kit including the wires.
The previous owner had an alarm. My neighbor just looked at it today and he said they previous owner left some parts in (near the fuse box inside the car) but then he got into an argument with another neighbor and he couldn't talk to me anymore. I have no idea what's left in nor do I know how to remove it. I did see a bunch of disconnected wires near that fuse box though. I've had the car for 2 years and the ignition problem just recently started to occur a couple months ago.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:10 PM

Lol my neighbor is choppin up some old truck now. He is gonna pull the rest pf the alarm out tonight for me.