Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Electrical problem: instrument panel, guages, and turn signals/hazards, lil help here

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem: instrument panel, guages, and turn signals/hazards, lil help here

ok i have a 94 honda civic DX... motor isn't really relevant i don't think but it's a b20 vtec swap, properly grounded and mechanically sound, no cel's at all...

the car was purchased almost 2 years ago now and has been thru an extensive overhaul... originally the car was an automatic and had the automatic guage cluster, but was converted to 5spd before i purchased... the guage cluster never lit up really anymore then the "P" for park, the SRS light, Brake light, turn signals, and high beam indicator...

i replaced it with a EX guage cluster, also an automatic, but this one had a tach, it was free and i knew it worked, needless to say same problem... all fuses replaced as well as bulbs in the guage cluster... mind you this was 2 years ago almost now, and i'm used to it... kinda a pain at night, but that's why i'm here now...

SO about 2 weeks ago i installed a NEW mini wire harness for the guage cluster that was bought from honda dealership here locally... and i still had the same problem with the cluster, BUT in exchange a few of my climate control lights started to work at all times instead of the necessary occasional love tap of the dash board...

NOW MY CURRENT PROBLEM (to add to the few previous mentioned)... i'm going down the road, pull into the local shell to talk to a buddy of mine. come back out from getting a cold refreshing beverage, start my car and no instrument panels... no tach, speedo, temp or gas reading... just srs light and high beam light... no BRAKE light or turn signals and my hazards cease to exist!

well being rather motivated at this point thinking "hmmm, the guage cluster prolly just came loose, maybe a plug or a ground, simple fix," HAS TURNED INTO 9.5 hours of PURE FUN!

- every switch from my dimmer switch and hazard relay to my windshield wiper/turn signal relay has been removed, switched, takin off and tested on another car and in working order still... as well as working ones put on and still no luck...

- every fuse has been checked and replaced, EVERY FUSE, both under the hood and dashboard

- every ground has been checked and rechecked and well rechecked

- the guage cluster hasn't been changed at this moment, because my buddy is at MIR with my back up in his trunk... YAY!

ANY suggestions would be appreciated, i've pretty much ran a test light from point a to point b and back again and nothing seems wrong...

i'm already planning to get a bunch of "replace the gauge cluster dumbass" but i'm really thinkin there may be another underlying problem since 2 previous clusters didn't light up as well, and would appreciate some kind of HELPFUL suggestions...

thanks in advance

Cliff notes:
guage cluster wouldn't light up
replaced, still not working
replaced "sub harness" and fuses, still not working
yesterday completely craps out on me, no speedo/tach/gas/temp/turn signals/hazards
replaces signal switch/dimmer/hazard relays, ran test light
migraine
help?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Electrical problem: instrument panel, guages, and turn signals/hazards, lil help

Test the ignition switch.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Electrical problem: instrument panel, guages, and turn signals/hazards, lil help

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Test the ignition switch.
ahhh i forgot to mention... the previous owner drunk one night, broke the key off into the ignition... there was half of a key in it , and i took it out and replaced it with a new one... this was about 3 weeks ago...

as for the actual switch i will have to check that, i have a second coupe, a 93, that i use as my daily that is in perfect running order, i can try switching to eliminate that suggestion, thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ignition switch fully operational, and took one from my other car to try it... still nothing