Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Electrical Problem?? Car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem?? Car won't start!

I drive a '97 Honda Civic Del Sol, and yesterday when I was driving it in the rain the alternator belt started squealing, so I stopped in a parking lot, tightened it, and ensured that my oil sensor located right next to my oil filter had the wires tightened on it.

When I went to get back in my car it wouldn't turn over. It made the sound like it's trying to start but didn't.

I was waiting and was about to go get some jumper cables from the family dollar that I was parked at and figured I'd give it one more go.

It started. So I kept driving and the altenator belt started falling off again, so I stopped again and tightened it really well. (It didn't slip this time) and I went to get back in my car and it didn't start again.

I was stranded for a few hours so heres all what I tried.

• Loosening the alternator belt (No good)
• Jumping it (no use)
• It's not the starter because it's turning over, just not catching.
• Sprayed some WD-40 into the throttle to see if it was the fuel pump (it tried to start up, so that leads me to believe it is in fact the fuel pump or filter that is clogged)
• My car is too modified for a diagnostic test to tell me anything, so I'm on my own.
• Spark plugs are giving out a current when I try to start the car
• Battery is fine, holding a charge and is at a healthy level so it's not the alternator or battery

Here's what I need to know.

• My fuel pressure readout is 40 PSI, is this a good amount?
• How can I fix inline relays to ensure this isn't a sensor problem that is keeping me from starting my car?
• What are my symptoms matching? The pressure gauge connected to my filter reads and the needle wobbles so I know there's some movement in there.
• Could my oil sensor have gotten wet and short circuited keeping my car from starting up?
• Any other tips or help you can give or suggestions would be great..

It's not getting fuel is the bottom line. I need to know if this is due to a bad fuel pump, an electrical problem, or something else?

The car was running perfectly fine prior to messing with the alternator so I think it could be a sensor problem.

Anyways, feel free to ask questions and help me out. I need my car for work on tuesday!!

EDIT: The fuel pump is working, took off all the paneling and got to the access panel, and I can hear the pump working, so that takes that off the list, right?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Electrical Problem?? Car won't start! (SigMag)

First, one fuel is a feed and the other a return. The return will not have near the pressure of the feed (I mention this b/c you said your not getting fuel from the bottom line, which im guessing your reffering to the one on the right side of the fuel rail). Ok, you say its turning but not catching, do you mean its not firing or the starters turning but not the motor? Fuel pressure looks ok. Go through the tree though and see if your getting fuel, spark, air and let us know what you get.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Electrical Problem?? Car won't start! (z6hatchboy)

How do I locate the fuel rail?

We have sparks, the motor turns, the starter works because we shot some WD-40 into the intake to see if it would fire, and it did.

It's just not getting fuel for whatever reason. The fuel pump is ok, it's running, so we are checking the filter.

How do I check for fuel lines? I'll get back to you once I find them.

This leads me to think that is could be electrical if not the fuel filter of fuel lines.

I'll let you know what we find out, and thanks.

Injectors are open, we just cant get fuel to them. Any ideas?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would deff go for the fuel filter then. The fuel rail is the rail right behind the valve cover and on top of the injectors. The line from the filter on the fire-wall to the left side of the rail is the feed line and the one on the right side is the return line. As for checking the lines, theres really no use unless you have a leak. But, to see if your getting fuel undo the return line (its on the fpr that on top of the fuel rail, right side) crank it and see if any gas comes out.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Electrical Problem?? Car won't start! (z6hatchboy)

Will do.

In the mean time I'm unplugging the battery to reset the computer.
I HOPE that works.

If not I'm going to be upset.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:52 AM

We let the battery reset, no use.

We checked the return fuel line on the right side of the fuel rail, and it had gas come out.

So that means it's the injectors? If so what do I have to do to get them to work again?

When we sprayed WD-40 into the intake, it shot right into the engine, and bypassed the injectors, so it must be the injectors.

So how do I get them to turn back on? They were working fine yesterday and I use 93 Octane so I'm guessing they arent clogged or anything, is there a switch somewhere or what??

You have any idea?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if you had no cel (check engine light) to begin with there's no use in resetting the ecu, however if you have a cel, use the thread at the top of the forum to check it. The injectors, heres a simple way to see if there working: Take the plugs out dry them if wet, and crank it to clean the cylinders out. Put the plugs back in, crank it more, then take them back out and see if there wet and also smell inside the cylinder. A second way of checking them is to take a plug out (leave the plug wire connected), ground it to the valve cover right above its plug hole and crank it, if any fuel comes in it will go out and be ignited by the plug at the top of the hole.