Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problem

a few days ago i got out of my car and set my alarm just like normal. when i came back to my car about 10 minutes later, i disarmed the alarm, got in, and went to start the car. when i turned the key, absolutely nothing happened, the car just went dead, no click, no radio, no lights, and even no alarm. so i pop the hood and check the connections, and eventually hook a battery charger to my battery. the charger said the battery was full, but i tried to use it to jump the car anyway. i set the charger to jump start, but nothing happens, still no power. then i checked to 80 amp fuse under the hood, it was fine. i was on my way to go out, so i hook the car up to the charger, and left it over night. the next morning i came out and hit the alarm button. the alarm chirped, and when i got in the car all the accessories worked (radio, lights, etc.) then, going from the acc. position to the start position, the same thing happened. on my way out again, i took my other car. thinking it was possibly the battery, i bought another. hook it up, and the alarm worked again, acc. worked again, but when i went to start it the same old thing happened. from this point i have pulled off the alarm box, still nothing, put it back on, and looked for the started kill but have had no luck. from what i understand from talking to friends, there is some sort of electrical fuse/relay/??? peice that causes a similiar symptom, but we have no idea what it is exactly. if anyone knows alarms or electrical diagnostics, i would greatly appreciate the help. thanks
Old 08-13-2003, 08:24 PM

Default Re: electrical problem (clean_eg)

Old 08-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So at this point you have all electrical components working but car won't start? Does is turn over at all if you try to start it, like can you hear the starter actually trying to start the car?
Old 08-14-2003, 12:38 AM

Default Re: electrical problem (ill phil)

no at this point, nothing works at all, its definately electrical, the starter never got the juice, the battery is brand new, and not even the radio, lights, or alarm work.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:43 AM

im sure you already did this but check to make sure your cables are ok to your battery.
i was gunna say check ur ignition switch but your alarm would still work even if that was bad....
Old 08-14-2003, 11:23 AM

Default Re: electrical problem (CivicNA)

the cables are perfect. but the alarm does run through the ignition, so that may be possible. i am going to check that all out. any other knowledge would still help though...