Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Electrical Grimlins.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Grimlins.

Aye, waddup. I've got my 1994 Civic DX here, replaced the under-dash wire harness because the old one was cut to **** by previous owner (s). Nothing has power, except my hazards. The wire tuck isn't finished yet, but this is really pissing me off. All fuses are fine, all relays are fine, I just replaced my main relay with a confirmed working main relay, replaced my under-hood fuse box with another one that has been tested and is recieving power. My gounds are as tight as I can wrench them.
I put my key in the ignition and turn it to accessory and nothing happens; no power to dashboard, no dash lights, nothing works, fuel pump doesn't prime.... but my hazards work. Wtf?

Possible problems:
•I've got a 5spd trans and ECU, but this under-dash harness is from an auto tranny DX of the same year, so maybe there's something missing that I need but don't know about?
•My headlight harness wires aren't connected to anything, but if they were shorting to ground, I think my battery would be dead by now.
•I need to move the common ground box (the small, yellow box with all of the ground wires connected to it) to a different spot. -I tested that ground and it seemed fine.
•My starter is not hooked up, and neither is the alternator charging wire that goes to the under-hood fuse box.
•I've completely deleted the airbags and SRS module, but read something about have a bad/deleted SRS module imobilizes the car, because it plugs into the same block on the under-dash fuse box as the ignition switch, and none of my ignition switch wires had power, so it seems my fuse box isn't sending power to the ignition switch (?). Neither of my fuse boxes are modified.
•Uuuuh....I have no heater core, AC system, radio. The center dash console has no function, so that wire harnes plug has been left out. No wires have been cut, it's a virgin harness.
•There's one slot on the back of the under-dash fuse box that I haven't found a plug for, I'll have to take a picture of it for you guys, maybe it's the grimlin I've been chasing.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Electrical Grimlins.

If the alternator wire touches ground with the battery connected, the main fuse will blow and the whole system (except the hazards, which have a separate fuse so they will work if you're stuck on the road with a blown main fuse) will be dead. Also there is a main fuse for the two big white wires to the ignition switch. These fuses are the ones in the underhood box that are secured with screws rather than plugging in.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Electrical Grimlins.

What I meant by the alternator is not connected is that the alternator charging wire is not installed into the under-hood fuse box, so it can't short out on anything. All of my fuses and relays are good.