Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

electrical failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical failure

so what's up boys and girls. so i bought a newer honda hatch about a month ago and i have had nothing but trouble with it.. i can catch a break. and now i have no clue why but now im having mad problems starting my car... i checked the battery and it was dead so i got a new one... then i have the same problem again the next day (i turn the key over and the lights turn on the dash but you push it over and it just goes "click clikc click" like the battery is dead) so next i checked the aultonater today and the guy i took it to says it is fine.. im sure it is too cause when i take the ground off the battery it kinda sputters for a second and then it keeps running like it is fine. i thought it might have been the ground on the altanator (sp) but that is fine too. when i went to go home today from a friends it went to turn it over and the lights came on then went off... i popped my hood to see if the ground on the battery was on and then i tried to turn it over again and it turned over but it was being real weird with me on the way home like i would drive the you could feel the power in the car littery dim....
i think it might be my:

starter
the alternatur might have a short or i dont know????
electrical problem some where
or maybe it is somehting to do with the power windows i just but in. maybe my relay or something i have no clue.?

:side note:: before i changed my battery my speedometer would flop on me like i would be driving at say 40 mph and it would drop and read 0 then go back and keep doing that.
i changed the battery and it appears to be fine but i dont know.. im gonna go try and start my car in the morning and see what id does... any help on what it might be and how to check and see if it is tht would really be awesome on the count of my terrible ******* luck with this car
Old 08-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: electrical failure (hellxno)

Sounds like a bad connection at the starter. You said a lot of stuff about the alternator, but you didn't try anything with the starter - aka the thing that starts your car? Get back to us after you do so, as a short there could expletive up the entire car's electrical system.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electrical failure (Archidictus)

i would go with the starter as well. as for the speedometer, your VSS sensor could be going bad. mine did that and eventually my speedo stopped working all together.

Dave O-
Old 08-05-2006, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electrical failure (forcefed9974)

sounds good. i'll get a buddy of mine to check it for me today. i was reading and i think it maybe "heat soak" i have a an exhaust leak right where the end of the manifold hits the downpipe i think in the enigne bay and im missing a couple manifold bolts so my engine says a little hotter but doesn't try and over heat on me...
thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electrical failure (hellxno)

it was the clip that goes on the starter. the rubber boot was making it slide off... so i just cut the boot a little and it is fine... thanks for the help