Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 07:19 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench?

i will be doing a lot of suspension work with my project this spring and I just want to know if this tool will help me with the tough bolts. your input will be appreciated.

below is the link that i found in ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6754
Old 02-27-2003, 07:48 AM

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (gude boi)

they do the same job.. but not they dont work the same...one is powered by air and other electric.. more torque on the air tools... i do most of my work by hand... i take my time
Old 02-27-2003, 07:56 AM

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (romeo619romeo)

I have a cordless impact from Snap On it works great.I use it all the time.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:04 AM
New User

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (COLORPROS)

thats a pretty decent price. i have seen one on harbor freight for around $45 that looked very similar and had the same specs, it was just yellow instead of black. i have used the electric impacts before and they work pretty well for quick removal of bolts. they wont work as well on bolts that are really stuck, but for most applications, they do work nicely. you still cant beat the torque that you get out of compressed air, but they are much, much more epxensive than this. get one of those and invest in a nice set of craftsman impact sockets (lifetime warranty, no questions asked) and you'll be set for just about any DIY'er job.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (COLORPROS)

I doubt the 30 dollar Ebay one is going to be on par with your snap on. Ive heard the electric ones are less powerful, but no experience here. I take my painful time with the hand tools.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:09 AM

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (deviant94ex)

thats a pretty decent price. i have seen one on harbor freight for around $45 that looked very similar and had the same specs, it was just yellow instead of black.
This dude wants 15 bucks for shipping. I'll get mine from HF.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:11 AM

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (gude boi)

Looks good for taking bolts off but I'd stick with a nice high quality torque wrench for putting bolts back on so you can do everything to spec.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:21 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (Rezon)

don't buy any fake tools like that. Made in China stuff just won't last. It's made cheaply, performance isn't up to par with what it should be, and isn't going to take any abuse...

180 buck =s for this Craftsman...true it's expensive, but will last you forever. My buddy who's Dad is a pro drag racer only uses the Craftsman electric impact gun.

Old 02-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (Emerica)

My parents got me a Milwaukee electric impact for x-mas and I must say I am very impressed. You wonder what you did without it once you start working on your car.

I took it to my old 120k mile VX motor last night. Hit the crank pulley for about 2 seconds and the bolt came right out This is after it wouldn't budge with a 4ft breaker bar!

If you can't afford air tools or just want something simple go with the electric
Old 02-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (nsxmatt)

I would actually like to hear more about people's experiences with electric impact wrenches. I live in an apartment complex so I can't have air tools, and I don't have access to a power outlet when I work on my car (except my power converter). So, I would really like to hear opinions on some of the cordless impact wrenches. Are they almost as worthless as a cordless drill?

BTW - is this the cordless Snap-on that was mentioned earlier?

Expensive bugger at $206!! And this is just the 9.6V cordless!!

[Modified by Milano_EH3, 1:47 PM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (Milano_EH3)

Hello

I bought one of the cheap ones at a truckstop called Flying J. It was $39.99 and it works! My friend has the latest Snap On ($500) and no it does not compare. But, if you want to change tires at the track or rotate your own tires it is well suited for the job. Mine came with sockets and a carrying case and hub cap removal tool (hehe).

Anyways, the one that Harbor Freight sells for $39.99 works, too (I bought them both) but not nearly as well as the one flying J sells.

The one from Flying J is rated at 240 ft/lbs (max) and the one from Harbor Frieght at 150 ft/lbs. I used a torque wrench to verify that it delivers at least 85 ft/lbs of torque and it does.

So, take it for what its worth. If you are a professional and make your living with your tools, go for the Snap On. If not, and you want to keep one in your car, go for the one from Flying J truckstop.

Jon Black
Old 02-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (Jon Black)

BTW, the one I bought plugs right into your cigarette ligther. I also took of the lugnuts on my buddy's full sized Ford pick 'em up truck.

Jon Black
Old 02-27-2003, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (Jon Black)

One difference between Air and Electric impact wrenches is the Impacts Per Minute. The one on eBay gets 7 per minute as does my cheap one. Air impacts probably get 700 per minute (although I haven't actually calculated that) but you get the point. They are faster. But do you have your air compressor with you at the track?

Snap On impacts get a lot more than seven a minute. The one I used was probably more like 120-150 per minute. They're sweet.

Jon Black
Old 02-27-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what are the specs on the electric impact from sears? sounds like a good purchase, how powerful is it?

but then again sears has this too:
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00916554000

[Modified by blufke, 7:25 PM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (blufke)

I prefer air over electrical, but thats just my personal perference. Also, don't even bother with battery powered...they suck at doing anything and the battery runs out in like 10 minutes
Old 02-27-2003, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (b16a ferio)

I have a Craftsman 1/2" electric impact wrench. I prefer it over my air tools.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (dwnthehatch)

I could see electrical being prefered over air because of ease of use. Electrical is easier to unpack and pack back up and doesn't require you to take out your air compressor and wait for it to fill. However, I still like my air tools...
Old 02-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (b16a ferio)

Yeah, but for some of us that don't even have access to a power outlet, cordless is necessary. If I had a garage, then I would have an air compressor and I wouldn't even need to ask about this. Maybe some day...::sigh::
Old 02-27-2003, 10:56 AM

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (Milano_EH3)

BTW - is this the cordless Snap-on that was mentioned earlier?

Expensive bugger at $206!! And this is just the 9.6V cordless!!
yes thats the one I have.Dont let the 9.6v fool you.It works.

[Modified by Milano_EH3, 1:47 PM 2/27/2003][/QUOTE]
Old 02-27-2003, 10:58 AM
New User

actually, you read the beay listing wrong. it is listed, as are the ones from harbor freight at 2400 imacts per minutes. air impacts are even more than that, some are around 9000 impacts per minute. the 7 that you saw referred the amps of the motor. just clearing that up. only 7 impacts per minute would not work at all.

CHRIS
Old 02-27-2003, 11:31 AM

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (deviant94ex)

screw electric this is what i bought last month to pull gsr engine out. I will finally get engine out one day soon Lost my job so i have to wait to i find a job to pull engine....need 220 outlet installed and dont know how to install it...plus no money...but air compressor is paid for and so is car lol. god I want my engine in my civc soon. So go buy this!!!! It kicks butt!!!

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00916561000

DEF
Old 02-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually, you read the beay listing wrong. it is listed, as are the ones from harbor freight at 2400 imacts per minutes.
You are correct, I did read the eBay ad wrong. But, the ones from Harbor Freight are more like 7-10 impacts per minute. The motor spins and spins for about 5 seconds and then BAAAMMM it hits. It spins some more and then BAMMM!!! But it usally only takes about 3 hits and the nut is off.

I actually own 2 of these so I know this to be true.

Jon Black
Old 02-27-2003, 11:33 AM

I use a Snap-On 14.4 Volt 1/2'' Drive and I love it. It can be used to do almost everything on a civic. It is Expensive but very high quality.

Also...I have limited edition package with an 14.4 Volt 1/2'' drive Impact gun extra battery and a flashlight. All brand new contact me if you are intrested.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the 18 volt snap-on cordless. i use the hell out of it....hardley ever have to charge it...highly reccomend investing in one...and it will take off a crank pulley bolt
Old 02-27-2003, 11:37 AM
New User

Default Re: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench? (TurboB16aEG)

the one that i was referring to from harbor freight was not the one that plugs into the cigarette lighter. they have a full assortment of electric impacts from milwaukee, makita, dewalt, chicago electric, etc, that are all pretty much exactly like the one on ebay. i have seen the one that goes into the cigarette lighter though.

CHRIS

[Modified by deviant94ex, 3:37 PM 2/27/2003]

Quick Reply: electric impact wrench, does it work like air impact wrench?