Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

electric gods only! newbs no need apply

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric gods only! newbs no need apply

the short story: brake/horn fuse keeps blowing. seems to happen after the car gets wet but continues to blow a few days after. also seems to do it when the car is cold. not too shure.

the long story: i got my hatchback with altezzas on it. everything worked but the right brake light never went on, but the bulb was good since the parking light was on. weird. anyways expletive it i dont care.

fast forward after i put on oem tail lights. not shure if its related but my brake lights all go out. no biggie, i thought, just a fuse. replace the fuse and now all three brakes lights are working, whoo hoo! i say. it was dry but cold that night

fast forward some more brake lights keep blowing not right away but after driving for 1 minute to one day. totally random. i tried the following:

shaking the wires to make shure they are not pinched. reqire the harness with dialictic grease. but i really doubt that was the problem cuz it was good for about 2 weeks and just when it rain yesterday bam it went out. i blew about 5 fuses from yesterday until today

my prediction, it cant be the inside of the car since it only happens when wet(or so it seems). no is there any way say if water got into the light bulbs it would short? but thats not possible since the parkin light is the same bulb and it works. i think its the spoiler light but i took it out to inspect and it looked dry.

the only other thing on the circuit is brake switch, horn, and cruise control.

tell me what i should do next
Old 05-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u have a radio in the car check that no wires are exposed or touching ground .two of my friends had this problem and it came back to the radio
Old 05-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the grounds on the car.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:55 PM

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

do you have an aftermarket spoiler on the car w/ a led light? If so where is the 3rd brake light hooked up to?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aallbbeerrtttttt)

That same thing happend to me but I have a 99 Si and when I wired the LED in the spoiler, I pulled the 2 wires apart i think black and red and when i did part of the red wire ripped so bare wire was showing, They touched and inturn my horn/brake lights/led didnt work fuse was blown. I would check the wiring and follow it all the way through in the rear end of your hatch. i.e. tails, spoiler LED wiring
Old 05-22-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Re: (skiracer8148)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skiracer8148 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u have a radio in the car check that no wires are exposed or touching ground .two of my friends had this problem and it came back to the radio</TD></TR></TABLE>
radio is not on the circuit. i know because i have a helms and also i shorted the radio before it doesnt affect the brake lights

"check the grounds on the car."
in the helms it says G553, G771 is the two grounds. but these grounds are also connected to the parking lights. so how come the parking lights are ok?

spoiler is stock.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EM199dcs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That same thing happend to me but I have a 99 Si and when I wired the LED in the spoiler, I pulled the 2 wires apart i think black and red and when i did part of the red wire ripped so bare wire was showing, They touched and inturn my horn/brake lights/led didnt work fuse was blown. I would check the wiring and follow it all the way through in the rear end of your hatch. i.e. tails, spoiler LED wiring</TD></TR></TABLE>
i check these already but i just found out the wires for brake lights is green/white so i gotta recheck it tomorow
Old 05-22-2006, 10:31 PM

Default Re: (Honda Civic DX Guy)

its the stock spoiler that came from the factory installed on your car?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:02 AM

Default Re: (carbonk20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carbonk20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its the stock spoiler that came from the factory installed on your car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes stock!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Civic DX Guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i check these already but i just found out the wires for brake lights is green/white so i gotta recheck it tomorow</TD></TR></TABLE>

O ok, sorry bro. Good luck
Old 05-23-2006, 10:29 PM

well today i looked at my spoiler and theres some white **** on the wire but i dont see any openings. upon trying to disconnect the plug for brake light i got pissed and just cut it. i wrapped the open wire with electric tape and put the spoiler back on. so far the fuse hasnt blown so lets see what happens within the next few days. i hope it rains so i can really test if the problem is fixed
Old 05-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully that fixed it. Just make sure you watch it considering you said it could be your brake lights. Dont want your brake lights out when you are driving and have someone rear end you.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya it sounded like it was shorting out, that may have been it...I hate gay probs like this, hope u get it fixed ASAP
Old 05-24-2006, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem in my hatch and it was the filaments constantly breaking from vibration of hard poly engine mounts so I bought LED tail light BULBS and I have had brakelights since.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:55 PM

well the fuse popped again today so that eleminates the high mount brake light as the problem. tomorrow im going to fully strip my rear and look at the wires
Old 05-30-2006, 04:59 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (JDM JUICE)

you got the car with the altezza's on it?? that shoots a big red flag to me that the old owner was playing around with other stuff in the car. Have you noticed any other "interesting" wiring anywhere in the car other than that wire you found under the spoiler that you had to wrap??

have you pulled out the main fuse panel yet and got it down so you can look at it good and look behind it and such?? just to be sure he didnt tap that circuit behind the panel for some other weird accessory (such as neon lights) that he may have just simply cut if he pulled them before selling you the car...

Also, I would definitely just go ahead and take the time to pull all the rear body panels off the car and go through and check ALL the wiring back there along with cleaning all your grounds, just so you can eliminate the rear wiring.

oh, are any of the bulbs blowing out or is it just the fuse that keeps blowing?? If none of the bulbs are blowing. Just sit in the car with a new fuse and stand on the brakes a few seconds and see what happens. also, try turning on the hazards and see what happens. do you use your cruise control?? do you use the horns?? sometimes a horn itself can be bad and pop the fuse. all kinds of little gremlin possibilities you have here.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stackz)

my brother had the same problem (minus the altezzas) your horn might be old and shorting out like his was, remove the horn completely and cee if it blaws.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:09 AM

you said it seems to happen more frequently when it rains? Have you noticed if whoever installed the altezzas put the gaskets back in behind them? On that note, do you have water leaking in your trunk as most hatches do? Even if the tail light gaskets are there, they could be worn or not seated properly allowing water to get past and into your wiring...just a thought you may want to check into.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:27 AM

-it pops usually during the rain but now it pops randomly.

-the tail light gaskets are good and i dont have any leaks.

-the car has fog lights that i removed and they are not connected to the circuit anyways

-all i know is that its not happening when i use my horn cuz i never use my horn. sometimes when i drive i will press the horn to see if the fuse is good, but i usually just look if my brake lights are coming on.

i will double check the fog lights again today then its time to remove the interior

could the problem be because of a bad wire harness in the back? i think the harness came with the altezzas. also, do you guys think maybe the horn just took a **** and its shorting randomly?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd pull off the wire for the horn. It can be done without pull the front bumper.
then I'd pull out the rear panels and check to make sure that the wiring isn't pinched some where.

more ideas...
rain = humid = more of a chance of a flakey wire blowing a fuse.
Also if there is corrosion on any of the wires they may be split or tapped into for what ever reason. Humidity/rain causes corrosion to conduct better, ie to the chassis.
Cut out the bad part of the wire and replace it.

You can also pull the brake wire and cut it at the rear of the car. Then wire in a smaller fuse than the one that keeps popping.
If the new fuse pops you know that the problem is after the new fuse. If the main fuse still pops then it's somewhere else.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd pull off the wire for the horn. It can be done without pull the front bumper.
then I'd pull out the rear panels and check to make sure that the wiring isn't pinched some where.

more ideas...
rain = humid = more of a chance of a flakey wire blowing a fuse.
Also if there is corrosion on any of the wires they may be split or tapped into for what ever reason. Humidity/rain causes corrosion to conduct better, ie to the chassis.
Cut out the bad part of the wire and replace it.

You can also pull the brake wire and cut it at the rear of the car. Then wire in a smaller fuse than the one that keeps popping.
If the new fuse pops you know that the problem is after the new fuse. If the main fuse still pops then it's somewhere else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

today i checked my left rear and everything looks PERFECTLY normal, gonna check my right side but im pretty shure it HAS to be my horn.. cant be nothing else
Old 05-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

horn circuit only has power when you press the horn button.
if it randomly blows for no reason (unless you use the horn all the time) it likely something else.
Same with the brake lights... they only have power when the brake is pressed.

when does the fuse blow? are you pressing the horn or brakes?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">horn circuit only has power when you press the horn button.
if it randomly blows for no reason (unless you use the horn all the time) it likely something else.
Same with the brake lights... they only have power when the brake is pressed.

when does the fuse blow? are you pressing the horn or brakes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the thing is I use my brakes all the time obviously. the only time i use the horn is to check if the fuse is blown. but there are time i never use the horn, i just notice my brake lights went out. could it be my brake switch?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 AM

Okay the problem is that you have a short to ground some where in the power part of the circuit. The reason for the blown fuses is because its bypassing the load of the circuit where some of the amps would be used and now is going pass that and straight to ground. You need to check before the load-(lights or etc). The only thing that would happen if you had a bad ground is that something wouldn't light up or not work properly when it should not blow fuses.

*GM certified mechanic*
Old 05-31-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Re: (TylerH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TylerH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay the problem is that you have a short to ground some where in the power part of the circuit. The reason for the blown fuses is because its bypassing the load of the circuit where some of the amps would be used and now is going pass that and straight to ground. You need to check before the load-(lights or etc). The only thing that would happen if you had a bad ground is that something wouldn't light up or not work properly when it should not blow fuses.

*GM certified mechanic*</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've always heard that when left alone and wrapped up and never touch wires dont break for no reason. I've check my rear left wiring and it looks good, im going to check my rear right but i think its good also. already checked my high mount. the only thing left is maybe horn or brake switch... or cruise control unit? im tearing my hair out!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Re: (allmotorpowa)

Okay well did everything work before you put the wing on or did you do anything electircal modifications to the car right before this started to happen if so thats where you need to look the car works fine before now bad installation = problems in the future.

Quick Reply: electric gods only! newbs no need apply