Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EKs with Illuminas PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EKs with Illuminas PLEASE HELP

hey I just installed my illuminas earlier today on my 98 hatch but i think i did something wrong. The problem I'm having is that the shock rods in the rears are banging againt the plastic panels and it makes a lot of noise when i'm driving. I don't know if the rods are supposed to come out so far but they do and the noise is driving me crazy.
Does anyone know what can be wrong?
also if possible can someone show a picture of how to install the shock components(bushings,washer etc.) properly or describe it in detail
thanks a lot
Old 05-08-2004, 10:22 PM

hrmm i don't understand what you mean..but I have Illuminas on my 98 sedan and they work fine. For the bushings part, basically its my coilover, then the top plate, and then on the rod, theres 1 bolt that tightens it to the stock plate bushings, then 2 bolts to hold the plate to the car. If you try to describe this problem a lil more, i can prolly help you
Old 05-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: EKs with Illuminas PLEASE HELP (Ziatic)

sounds like you forgot to add the lower reinforcement washer (damper stop plate) that is there from stock. the top of the shock rod should not move and the top nut and washers should be sandwiching the rubber bushings and tophat, with the thicker reinforcement washer on the bottom. its the same assembly as stock.

http://www.binghamtonlife.com/...5.jpg
Old 05-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There was a thready just like this a couple of weeks ago. Someone took their car to a shop to have their illuminas installed and they didn't put the lower washer back on. You have to use the one that comes off of your oem shocks. You can tell its the right one cuz the id is tapered.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:47 AM

Ok thanks for teh replys guys but i'm pretty sure i put in the lower washer. It comes with the illuminas right? I know the stock assembly has one but my illuminas came with them also.
basically right now each shock is set up like this: the actual shock followed by the 2 new bumpstops that came with the new shocks, the washer thing, this cylindrical piece that came with it and teh top hat but the rod is still poking out way too far in my opinion and smashing against my plastic panels in the car. I'm thinking it has somethign to do with the cylinder piece i mentioned because i don't remember that being on my stock shock so i just put it at the top of the assembly.

i know this is a pretty confusing summary so maybe some pics would help?
if so can someone let me know how to post pics?
thanks
Old 05-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: (Ziatic)

you need to assemble everything EXACTLY AS STOCK. im assuming the cylinder thingy is the damper mounting collar. it goes between the bushings. theres NO reason to be using 2 bump stops. if you are, then you are seriously have no shock travel. does this not seem obvious to you? actually, the lower thick washer does NOT come extra with the tokico kit, so i think you are confused if you say you replaced it with a new one. the kit does come with an extra top damper mounting washer along with a new nut, but that goes on TOP. let me repeat, everything should be assembled just as you disassembled it, only replacing the shock and any exact replacement part that came iwth the shock.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Tyson)

you forgot #14
Old 05-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (=GAMEOVA=)

yep....#14 will do the job.....but i wouldnt have advised to do the suspension work without looking at the diagram first....so u know wut goes where....

daiyama
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=833888

foir sale
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=831095
Old 05-09-2004, 03:21 PM

Alright thanks for all the help guys specifically tyson, but one more question. Right now if i open up my speakers and grab the shock rod, i can freely move around the rubber pieces and the top damper washer so if i put #14 in will that somehow hold these peices in place? I can't figure out why those pieces move around so freely. And to answer your question nothing about my suspension makes sense to me right now becuase i can't think straight. lol
thanks again guys
Old 05-13-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Re: (Ziatic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ziatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright thanks for all the help guys specifically tyson, but one more question. Right now if i open up my speakers and grab the shock rod, i can freely move around the rubber pieces and the top damper washer so if i put #14 in will that somehow hold these peices in place? I can't figure out why those pieces move around so freely. And to answer your question nothing about my suspension makes sense to me right now becuase i can't think straight. lol
thanks again guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess tightening nut #8 is beyond your capabilities?