Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK4 vs DC2 Knuckle height woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK4 vs DC2 Knuckle height woes

So, I´ve done a 5-lug swap, and I threw the DC2 knuckles straight onto my EK4. Bolted right up as you´d expect. But now I´m running yellow konis with Eibach springs, and it´s a bit too low in the front versus what I´d expect.
I´m using a set of 15x6.5 ET39 wheels with 195/55 tyres in the front, And I have a severe case of the rubs during cornering. Granted - the wheels are pretty flush, but I would think this damper/spring combo should sit a little higher.

I seem to recall that someone mentioned something about DC2 front end bits making the EK4 sit a little lower. I´ve tried measuring the EK4 and DC2 knuckles, but I´m none the wiser. As far as I could tell the DC2 knuckle is longer than the EK4. I may have cocked up the measuring as the DC2 ones are on the car with driveshafts and whatnot getting in the way. Can anyone shed any light if this is a known problem?

FYI, it sits like so :

Old 05-16-2013, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK4 vs DC2 Knuckle height woes

While I'm at it - I'm not sure if the EK4 was released in the US, but it's the same as the '99 Si suspensionwise.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:01 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't see that it matters if it's a known problem. Just that it's your problem now. Ever thought about going the adjustable coilover route? Or even a set of stiffer springs up front.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're right - and I'm in the process of ordering a set off spoon springs/dampers to give me a little more ride height and suspension travel. Not at all happy with this setup.

However - I have to get the car approved by the authorities with the Eibach/Koni combo that I have on now, as I have documents that state that these are road legal. Then I can get some decent dampers/springs on it. And they won't approve with the wheels rubbing like this. The Spoon combo isn't road legal here.

This leads me to the question I posted - if this is all in my head, or if there is some truth to it. If the DC2R knuckles lower the car a lot, I may have to move the hub assembly to the EK4 knuckles, and I _really_ don't want to do that.
The only info I've been able to find is that there may be about a .5" difference between the knuckles, but that the DC2 are taller than the EK4 ones. As I don't know this for sure, I'd like to see if someone have some solid info.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:16 AM
The Grumpiest

I'm looking, as much as one can in a short span of time, and I don't see any threads on the net reporting your issues. But then again we didn't get the EK4 over here so that might explain the lack of threads on it.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Me neither, I'll have to keep looking. Thanks for your input though, and congratulations on your 23000th post! :D
Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 AM
The Grumpiest

Yes. Until I finally get this degree I'm stuck in front of this computer. I have no life.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just get an ek9 spindle ? and the only problem I have heard of is when using the teg spindle is the camber is messed up a bit
Old 05-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Yes. Until I finally get this degree I'm stuck in front of this computer. I have no life.
what you getting a degree in? go ride around and hit 65 psi in the coupe...lol b00st

OP, what country are you in being you have a ek4