Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK3 Mini-E Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK3 Mini-E Automatic

Hey people,

Im new to this forum and have some questions regarding a mini-e on my ek3.

As you might have read in my introduction thread i drive a automatic because of medical reasons. I am wanting to mini-e my 1.5 vtec-e simply because i want to

I have all the parts is need except for the ECU and conversion harness because this is seeming to be quite the problem. I have used the search to read up on some things but because my english isnt that great i dont fully understand some of the things that has been said.

The problem: When swapping the ECU from obd2 to obd1(the p28) i lose some functionality in controlling the automatic tranny(so ive read).

I thought i read that the obd1 automatic is controlled by 2 sensors and some cables and the obd2 is controlled by sensors only. So an obd1 swap would become useless and therefor the entire mini-e swap(because i cant get it mapped on obd2)

Is this correct or is there a way to mini-e and tune a 1.5 vtec-e automatic?
If its possible? Howwwwww??

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading
Old 03-03-2015, 05:37 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EK3 Mini-E Automatic

With an automatic? No. If you want to do any kind of performance modifications, you'll need to switch to a standard transmission.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaNL
Hey people,

Im new to this forum and have some questions regarding a mini-e on my ek3.

As you might have read in my introduction thread i drive a automatic because of medical reasons. I am wanting to mini-e my 1.5 vtec-e simply because i want to

I have all the parts is need except for the ECU and conversion harness because this is seeming to be quite the problem. I have used the search to read up on some things but because my english isnt that great i dont fully understand some of the things that has been said.

The problem: When swapping the ECU from obd2 to obd1(the p28) i lose some functionality in controlling the automatic tranny(so ive read).

I thought i read that the obd1 automatic is controlled by 2 sensors and some cables and the obd2 is controlled by sensors only. So an obd1 swap would become useless and therefor the entire mini-e swap(because i cant get it mapped on obd2)

Is this correct or is there a way to mini-e and tune a 1.5 vtec-e automatic?
If its possible? Howwwwww??

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading
Bro, the service manual can help explain the difference between the obd1 and obd2 setups. All in all, no the obd1 p28 cannot run and obd2 transmission. Now if you mount an obd1 transmission in your car than yes you can use the obd1 ecu, for your legal inspections or emissions I will stay quiet on that.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All right guys, i understand!

If i need to swap my obd2 auto tranny to an obd1 auto tranny to make a mini-e happen i'm defeating the purpose of a mini-e(easy hp for for relatively low costs), right?

I think i'am going to hold on to the parts for when i am able to drive a manual again.

Thanks for clearing this up for me guys, i appreciate it!
Old 03-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Needs to be About 20% Cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might be able to go automatic obd1 form a B series with a separate TCU. like from a integra. this what i plan to do to my 95 hatch keeping it auto. i don't know how/if the TCU will control a OBD2 tranny but theoretically i'd bet you could make it work.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaNL
If i need to swap my obd2 auto tranny to an obd1 auto tranny to make a mini-e happen i'm defeating the purpose of a mini-e(easy hp for for relatively low costs), right?