Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK Water boil

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 EK Water boil

Hi all, I am new here. I register here as my 00 EK has some problems now and the garage guys failed to address it. Please kindly help me...

Below are the symptoms:
-sometimes water temperature jumps while sometimes does not
-the fan near bumper is on sometimes and sometimes off unexpectedly early (e.g. i sit in the car and step on the pedal until it reach the red zone, around 7000 rpm, I got off the car and the fan stopped just a few seconds later, i dont expect a car at working temperature can be cooled down so quick)
-the temperature rises when there were traffic jams
-the temperature can be reduced after I off my A/C and turn the air to 3X degree celsius l0l
-there is no leakage of water

He asked me to change 2 parts: a) a device that controls water flow inside the pipes b) a sensor
but in vain.

Finally, he said by swapping the relays in the Fuse Box, the fan become normal.. however, the problem just continues.....

He recommends me to change brand new relays.. I just afraid it just doesnt help and my ek run out of water (boils away) in randomly one traffic jam?

Thanks a lot for reading all these well and presentation is not good at all
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: EK Water boil

When was the last time the cooling system was flushed? I'm going to assume it hasn't as well as the timing belt/waterpump service. How many miles do you have? Also, the thermostat may be at fault. Is the check engine light on? Most likely you need to change the waterpump, and thermostat. Hopefully the coolant hasn't become crudded up and clogged the system.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you remove your splash guard underneath the car? the plastic piece right under the fan. if you did the fan would only come on when its really hot since the plastic isnt there to block the air flow.

Could try flushing the coolant in case of blockage or might be a busted radiator
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by furious94ls
When was the last time the cooling system was flushed? I'm going to assume it hasn't as well as the timing belt/waterpump service. How many miles do you have? Also, the thermostat may be at fault. Is the check engine light on? Most likely you need to change the waterpump, and thermostat. Hopefully the coolant hasn't become crudded up and clogged the system.
thx...
As I had a minor crash months before, therefore the cooling water was refilled. My car was 22k km and the thermostat changed, no engine light one, waterpump changed, the radiator has changed as well..
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Ej8-Hulk
Did you remove your splash guard underneath the car? the plastic piece right under the fan. if you did the fan would only come on when its really hot since the plastic isnt there to block the air flow.

Could try flushing the coolant in case of blockage or might be a busted radiator
The radiator and its cap has been changed.. I didnt remove the splash guard ( I don't know which plastic piece u meant, should i search it with my hands as it cant be seen unless I remove something?

The water didnt simply get hotter as u meant, it actually did turned into steam and busted out of my car
Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Trial User

This happened to a friend of mine after his thermostat failed. It blew his radiator on the top seal. We swapped another radiator in and replaced the thermostat but it still overheated. I finally changed his headgasket and it fixed the whole issue. His overflow tank for the radiator would get so hot it would shake and steam really bad.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's very hard to understand you.

So the radiator, cap, thermostat, and water pump have been changed along with new coolant? The fan operates as you stated earlier. If it's not an OEM waterpump/thermostat it may still be the cause of your problem. Do you have the correct coolant in the car as well? I would have a pressure test run as well. There may be a clog in the system.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If all else fails, sell the car! =P
Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Viral_Hatched
This happened to a friend of mine after his thermostat failed. It blew his radiator on the top seal. We swapped another radiator in and replaced the thermostat but it still overheated. I finally changed his headgasket and it fixed the whole issue. His overflow tank for the radiator would get so hot it would shake and steam really bad.
Sorry, is head gasket means the cap of the radiator?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by furious94ls
It's very hard to understand you.

So the radiator, cap, thermostat, and water pump have been changed along with new coolant? The fan operates as you stated earlier. If it's not an OEM waterpump/thermostat it may still be the cause of your problem. Do you have the correct coolant in the car as well? I would have a pressure test run as well. There may be a clog in the system.
sorry my english is not very good..

I didnt run the pressure test, but all the water pipes hv similar temp...
that's y i feel doubt when the garage guy said it was the problem of water pump..
anyway.... $$$ paid....
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Trial User

If all else fails, sell the car! =P
Hope I dont need to do so
Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by awtay
Sorry, is head gasket means the cap of the radiator?
the radiator cap is a little cap on top of the radiator.
this is what a raidator cap looks like: http://store03.prostores.com/genuine...a2cf727a_m.JPG

The head gasket is between the block and the head. The only way u can check the head gasket is to take the head apart or look for signs of a bad head gasket.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Trial User

the radiator cap is a little cap on top of the radiator.
this is what a raidator cap looks like: http://store03.prostores.com/genuine...a2cf727a_m.JPG

The head gasket is between the block and the head. The only way u can check the head gasket is to take the head apart or look for signs of a bad head gasket.
Thx... the cap i meant is the radiator cap... sorry that i still no idea what the head gasket is....

I gave the car to the garage again.. as the car can be picked up after office hour.... though surely he is not the best
Old 05-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You said they did a sensor, know which one?

I would change the sensor on top of the thermostat housing, cheap and easy to do it, this controls when the fan comes on.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WATER BOILS. It needs a 50 50 mix water and COOLANT so that it doesn't boil right out of your system. That is your problem.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you have a blown head gasket. so its tricking the fan switch. aka sensor. and your water boils without a trace in your engine. google head gasket so you know what it is.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by hondawhiz
you have a blown head gasket. so its tricking the fan switch. aka sensor. and your water boils without a trace in your engine. google head gasket so you know what it is.
^Agreed!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by awtay
sorry that i still no idea what the head gasket is....
Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by motegicivic
You said they did a sensor, know which one?

I would change the sensor on top of the thermostat housing, cheap and easy to do it, this controls when the fan comes on.
thx.. changed
Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by hondawhiz
Thx....

To clarify, I have searched head gasket in web...
I dont know the water cooling system can be related to the engine..... so my first feeling was: Were there any other head gasket that dudes were mentioning?

Anyway, thx a lot.. hope the garage guy can consult more technicians and fix my car's problem..
Old 05-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Bix VT
thx dude