Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK Swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 EK Swap Help

Hello everyone,
I am looking to do a swap into an EK Hatch. I would like suggestions from some of the more experienced and knowledgeable individuals as to what my options are. Following is a list of what I intend to do in the long-term and my criteria for the swap:

- I have always wanted a high revving motor and from what I read, the B series swaps seem to be my best option.
- No future plans for internal work aside from a rebuild if needed (Having always wanted a "zero" mileage motor and I'm very tempted to rebuild it..thoughts on this?). I essentially want a stock clean motor.
- No plans to boost it in the future.
- While I know that engine swaps require some fabrication and wiring modifications, I would like to know which B swap into an EK requires the least amount of it while meeting the criteria above.
- The budget is $10k-12k. Keep in mind that from that budget, I also have to purchase a relatively clean stock EK and have it painted. I don't own an EK currently.
- No plans to sell it.

Thanks for taking the time to help out. Hope to hear some great feedback.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EK Swap Help

I don't know where your located at but don't forget that if you swap the engine you may have problems passing Smog depending on your area. Fabrication is generally not needed, these Honda are like Legos, you can find whatever you need online. Everything is bolt up if you order the right parts. Generally wiring is pretty easy depending on what your start with, if you start with something with Vtec the vtec wires are already there and you just may need to extend a few wires.

If you want to go B-Series then B16/B18/B20. B16 Swap is pretty straight forward and cost for the swap parts around $2000-$3000. B18 is also basically just a bolt on and runs around $3000-$5000.
B20 is much cheaper but a little more complicated. If you stick with the B20 head you will need a LS intake manifold. The B20 will bolt to any B series transmission. If you want to go with the Vtec head you will use the matching intake manifold. I would roughly estimate a complete B20-Vtec swap costing $1500-$2000. I am not taking any labor costs into these numbers.

In my opinion B20 Vtec is the way to go. B20's are dirt cheap. You can find a B20 for $450-$650. B16-B18's range from $2000-$6000. (google H Motors Online)The B20 will not be as high revving but if you put on a vtec head its quite powerful. Well to be more clear, most likely it will be able to rev is high but you may not make power that high and you run a high risk of blowing it up.

My suggestion... find a car you like, drive it, break it, fix it and start at the bottom and work your way up. Intake, Header, exhaust and if you blow it up a B20 is a cheap swap to start with, you can put in the B20 for less than $1000 and if that's not enough for you add the Vtec head and chipped ecu. You should build up your experience and skill set before trying to get too deep.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: EK Swap Help

Please click on the FAQs sticky link.