Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ek swap almost done but small problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Ek swap almost done but small problems

Heres the breakdown of progress. I have a 98 civic hatch dx with 80k, ran fine but at random times would over heat then started burning oil & my cvs kept breaking one year to date & I saw all my motor mouts where pretty much done, 2 weren't even holding the engine at all. I have a 2gen b16a JDM & a usdm gsr trans, with stage 1 clutch 11.5lb flywheel,1 piece race header otherwise unknown, Stage 1 or gsr cams but stock wires & plugs in it. It has the full harness on it & ready to drop in. Im just waiting on arp flywheel & clutch bolts & transcase bolts to hook it all up. I painted the trans & block black. I have plans to paint the engine bay & currently have all things on the firewall still but most hoses & open connections are covered by tape or bags for safety. Other then that almost everything is badly covered in rust which has cause most of my problems.
Heres my problems & left over wants
I want to remove stuff off of the fire wall but afraid of bending those metal lines, AC stuffs all out but rest remains & im looking into a easy ish wire tuck so I have a cleaner bay but Im not wanting to go as far as soder & Im not feeling up to trying to take a brake tuck until Ive got more time & better weather. Do I have any hopeful options?
2nd. All of my castle nuts on my front suspension are rounded off, a couple are ground off but I cant break parts free & as of now I cant get the car on the wheels because of all the parts being the way they are. Ive tried the everything(heat,pen oils of all kinds, cutting with dremmel,special sockets made for rounded bolts. but a torch which I cant find at the moment. Ive got all new parts (upper control arm, tie rod, all ball joints) but cant get current stuff to budge Any suggestions or ideas?
3rd. Ive searched on power steering & all its done has confused me really, Ive been told I just need 1 b16 part & the rest of my d series stuff should work fine but I don't think that's correct. What would I need to do to slap on power steering?
Before I bagged on, I have goggled & forum searched all of this but Im hoping to gain a little more knowledge before I begin. Any links or personal insight from those who have done this would be greatly appreciated.
Im going to take better pics & upload them asap
Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Ek swap almost done but small problems

i'm lost as to what exactly your issues are.....for removing the strut assembly did you remove the fork at the base ?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I removed the fork at the base t get the cv out & then I put it back in but the castle nut on the top control arm, tie rod & on the bottom ball joint under the rotors are all rounded off or just spinning. I tried cutting the nut & grinding one down but nothings worked. Im trying to replace the upper camber/control arm & the lower ball joint on the lower control arm.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohhhh ok I see for the tierod and ball joint you need to smash the **** out of them to break them free trust me !. same for the upper control arm.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The lower control arm castle nut is the only one that the codder pin fully cam out of & other then torch I haven't tried beating it or prying yet. I think I have to grind or cut a little more to make it a bit easier but Im afraid of damaging more parts.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well here's the bad news....the BJ bolt is part of the BJ as in you now need to remove the knuckle and replace the ball joint if you tried cutting/grinding it same with the tirod end same with the upper control arm....
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I was attempting to do today but my 17mm bolts on my brakes & other parts aren't budging & when I try to put pressure on things they move because the uppers loose. I haven't started gridding on the tie rods yet but the pass side nut cam all the way down 2 the last 2 threads & now the screw inside the joint spints with the bolt so I had to get another set of grips to try & hold it. Its too dark to get any decent pics of what Im talking about so Ill have to upload them in the morning
Old 11-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as your power steering goes:

Option A: change the PS high pressure line to an integra line and use an EG/DC B series pump.

Option B: leave your line in there and find a CTR/EM1 power steering pump. I have a CTR/EM1 pump for sale

Option B is easier.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I just wrote in an old forum hoping to find an answer on that, I had one guy making me think I had to change rack & pinion & my entire set up. So now if im not mistaken all I need is the 99 si pump, mount bracket & belt & im good to go
Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you just need the brackets for your engine and a 99-00 si or 98+ integra pump.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, just to be sure when you say brackets for my engine, do you mean b series or since its a 2nd gen do you mean the brackets of that specific motor? I can order a bracket now but still searching for a pump
Just out of curiosity if you know, will any del sol parts fit this?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

brackets that match your block and head combo.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update for those who may care & wanted to say thanks for all the help.
One suspension side is done & now I have to cut off & do the same thing to the other but atleast its progress. After I get the other lower ball joint off Ill replace everything & then the brakes. I did find some helpful info on poping them free without tools & ect, One guy had a video of using a jack & a big extention & letting roll as he lowered the jack & vola.
Found a PS bracket & was going to just get a new pump but I cant seem to find the lower bracket & junk yards in my area aren't an option. Any suggestions are welcome

Be glad to help anyone having similar problems
Old 11-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Trial User

Im trying to replace the upper camber/control arm & the lower ball joint on the lower control arm.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The upper shouldn't be to tuff unless your hung up on bolts or something like I was. Autozone rents 2 different types of tools to break them free & press in/out new & old joints, that's how im doing it