Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK- rear camber kit install... broken bolt, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK- rear camber kit install... broken bolt, Help!

So I installed my coilovers and front camber kits today, when I went to install my rear camber kit, the outer bolt broke. To clarify, there are 3 bolts, 2 on the chassis, and one by the rear brake. This is the one by the brake. The head broke right off of the bolt, can anyone help with this?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: EK- rear camber kit install... broken bolt, Help!

Try a easy out.

Or, break that welded nut, and pound the bolt out.

Replace with a new bolt, and nut. (Welded, if you wish.)
Old 02-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it broke off where it connects to the rear trailing arm. if the head is rounded off go to the nearest autozone and buy an irwin bolt out set works like a charm on rounded off heads. but if the head is broken off just cut the bolt out and use a back out drill bit for the part that is threaded
Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by *JDM*Ej8*
if it broke off where it connects to the rear trailing arm. if the head is rounded off go to the nearest autozone and buy an irwin bolt out set works like a charm on rounded off heads. but if the head is broken off just cut the bolt out and use a back out drill bit for the part that is threaded
x2
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

forizzle..x3
Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Trial User

Default Rear camber kit bolt..... need help.

I have a similar problem and i need help... one of the two bolts that connect to the frame was stock so i tried everything. it came loose but the thread inside the frame where the bolt screws in came off. now all i have is a whole on the frame... any advice how to fix it or suggestions.

Thank you in advance!!!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Rear camber kit bolt..... need help.

Originally Posted by JoCC0812
I have a similar problem and i need help... one of the two bolts that connect to the frame was stock so i tried everything. it came loose but the thread inside the frame where the bolt screws in came off. now all i have is a whole on the frame... any advice how to fix it or suggestions.

Thank you in advance!!!
I ended up having the same problem. Take the good bolt to a hardware store and get a matching nut. Have the nut welded flush, cost me $40 plus like a dollar for the nut.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they also make a thing called rivit nuts. it's an inserts that when u tighten the bolt down it mushrooms and locks the threaded insert in. like these http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet47.htm
Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could have saved yourself the broken bolt, the trouble, and the money by not using either camber kit. There are lots of good reasons to avoid camber kits.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Try a easy out.

Or, break that welded nut, and pound the bolt out.

Replace with a new bolt, and nut. (Welded, if you wish.)
This
Old 05-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Rear camber kit bolt..... need help.

Originally Posted by Powered By Garrett
I ended up having the same problem. Take the good bolt to a hardware store and get a matching nut. Have the nut welded flush, cost me $40 plus like a dollar for the nut.
this is probably a stupid question but, weld it where and how. flush inside or outside the frame? because the nut that hold the bolt was inside the frame
Old 09-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by JoCC0812
this is probably a stupid question but, weld it where and how. flush inside or outside the frame? because the nut that hold the bolt was inside the frame
Inside the frame and most muffler shops or good mechanic shops can do something like this for pretty cheap.

Last edited by Former User; 09-18-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: If you are inclined to post rude and ignorant comments, then you are not a good fit for H-T.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Killa82783
Inside the frame and most muffler shops or good mechanic shops can do something like this for pretty cheap.

As for not needing camber kits maybe you want to educate yourself and read this.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/no-you-do-not-need-camber-kits-2614449/
And if you're saying sagging bushings are the cause then maybe you need to change out the bushings, according to your logic.

Last edited by Former User; 09-18-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Thread clean up
Old 09-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Ek Forever y0!

I've been riding around on 2* camber since last December, 18,000 miles and my tires look brand new. 205/45/16 Yokohama S. Drives, 300 treadwear. Rotated them once.

In high school my car was dumped, 3.5* front and 3* rear camber. Put 45,000 miles on the car and never had a problem with tire wear.

Toe eats tires, not camber. At least not until you're pushing 4*+ camber. Proper rotations will alleviate any minimal camber wear.

Last edited by Former User; 09-18-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Thread clean up
Old 09-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Trial User

some information you came back with was true.
Tire rotation will help the tires last longer. however the inside camber will wear the inside of the tire faster and will be highly noticeable at end of tire life.
All a camber kit does is gives you the ability to adjust to a 0 degree camber which is better than 2 or 4 because the entire flat surface of the tire is on the ground giving better traction control

Last edited by Former User; 09-18-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Off to a very bad start here. Keep the discussion civil, or don't post here.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Master Detailer

Being able to adjust the camber is cool, I guess. If you don't like the way negative camber looks, or want to increase it for racing purposes.

I have been running -2* to almost -4, and I get great tire wear. I have been runing -2* all around with PERFECT tire wear. No inner wear noithing. That was verifed by myslef, as well as firestone at my last alignment.

Tire rotation will help the tires last longer. however the inside camber will wear the inside of the tire faster and will be highly noticeable at end of tire life.
All a camber kit does is gives you the ability to adjust to a 0 degree camber which is better than 2 or 4 because the entire flat surface of the tire is on the ground giving better traction control
It's true, you may see some wear towards the end of the tires life, but, if it's at the end of the tires life, who cares? Also, I doubt it will be highly noticeable, unless your running quite a bit of negative camber. Like -4*+ I have already proved you can get great tire wear running about -3.5* all around.

Having 0 camber is NOT that great of thing!!!!

I have a flat contact patch runing -2*. Unless you running a lot of camber you shouldn't have any contact patch issues. At -4.5* my friend's coupe on 45's would bearly pull the outside edge off the ground.

Sure, you'll give up a little stright line traction, but, it's worth it. Running negative camber will actually HELP you in the corners.

Last edited by Former User; 09-18-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Thread clean up
Old 09-19-2011, 02:23 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Not in my experience, nor the experience of several other prominent members on the forum. 4* of camber would mean you're really low. I'm tucking tire in the front and I've only got 1.8* camber. Most people aren't much lower than that, and therefore you really can't justify a front camber kit because ~2.5* camber is really a sweet spot more than anything. I wish I had more like 2.8-3.2* camber so I could see if that will help improve my times in autocross.

0 camber is bad. Great for drag racing, but entirely impractical for a daily driver. It's really ideal to have 2-3* of camber for lateral traction. Much safer as well. Even factory civics have some camber.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by *JDM*Ej8*
Will this work for bolts that thread into the chassis? I broke my lower shock mount bolt on the rear lca last weekend. I have been soaking the bolts in pb blaster for 3 days now. If the upper control arm bolts to chassis break, would the back out drill bit work for those? The techs at my job say most of the time the reason that these break is because they are seized where the bolt goes through the bushing collar. Which is why we lube those when installing this stuff at the shop, but I cannot work on my car here. I do all my work at home in the driveway. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey i also have this problem where the bolt tothe upper control arm will not tighten i think the welded nut fell off inside the frame did u guys ever get this fixed im not sure how u can get to that bolt
Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by swizz977
hey i also have this problem where the bolt tothe upper control arm will not tighten i think the welded nut fell off inside the frame did u guys ever get this fixed im not sure how u can get to that bolt
Cut a hole, weld a new nut on , weld the cut peice back on.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess no one wants to try a rivet nut and avoid any cutting or welding they are relatively cheap and easy to install urself. http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet47.htm
Old 11-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Master Detailer

I wouldn't trust that on anything suspension related.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a camber arm does not get much force and they make them in different materials. the bushing takes most the shock.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:14 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
a camber arm does not get much force and they make them in different materials. the bushing takes most the shock.
Even then. Maybe I am just parinoid, but theres no way in hell your putting that stuff any where near a suspension part on my car.

I just couldn't trust it.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:50 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
i guess no one wants to try a rivet nut and avoid any cutting or welding they are relatively cheap and easy to install urself. http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet47.htm
I would probably try this option and have THAT welded (if possible).

Quick Reply: EK- rear camber kit install... broken bolt, Help!