Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion
Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Honda Accord Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Ek Rear brake conversion, look if you want.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ek Rear brake conversion, look if you want.

Just picked up some gsr rear brakes today. Got the entire trailing arm assembly (e-brake lines inc.), LCA's, integra 40/40 prop valve, and 1" BMC. And here's where I run into problems, it would still be a problem either way, so im just trying to figure out what would be less of a pain in the ***. The integra BMC as you may know, is different from the civic's in design, so:

1. Can I swap a DC/EG Brake booster to my Ek and not have any problems? or

2. Just dish out the cash, and buy an SI Brake Master Cylinder? or

3. Is it possible to retro the DC Brake Master Cylinder onto the EK Brake booster? or

4. Just keep my stock DX Brake Master cylinder? or

5. Forget the whole P.O.S. idea and get a EG cuz you've always wanted one anyway and the swap would be a lot easier? <- kinda leaning towards this idea.

(I posted this question in the brakes forum and got nada, so thats why its here.)
Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ek Rear brake conversion, look if you want.

I would sell the eg mc and get the si one. The prop. valve from your car is the same as the si.

A little personal opinion I would upgrade the fronts to ex/si first then do the rear.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an ek...

I just swapped the gsr rear disc brakes..

upgraded the pads and got drill slot rotors

Its good to go! brakes like a champ

brakes even better than my brothers 00 civic si and my girlfriends civic ex
Old 04-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
I have an ek...

I just swapped the gsr rear disc brakes..

upgraded the pads and got drill slot rotors

Its good to go! brakes like a champ

brakes even better than my brothers 00 civic si and my girlfriends civic ex
Cant wait, plannin on doing the swap as soon as i can get brake lines from kragen or something.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Meoshe
I would sell the eg mc and get the si one. The prop. valve from your car is the same as the si.

A little personal opinion I would upgrade the fronts to ex/si first then do the rear.
Definitely what I was looking for, and as for the fronts, its definitely something im going to look into.

so just so i know for sure, its pretty impractical to source an eg brake booster and put it onto my car huh? the 1" looks so pretty.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Romo Pyro
Cant wait, plannin on doing the swap as soon as i can get brake lines from kragen or something.
I dont its necessary to upgrade the brake master cylinder or the prop valve... but if you want to then go right ahead buts its going to be more trouble
Old 04-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont its necessary to upgrade the brake master cylinder or the prop valve... but if you want to then go right ahead buts its going to be more trouble
ummmm, actually its TOTALLY COMPLETELY NECESSARY to swap the bmc/bb if your upgrading your brakes... your stock setup is set to evenly proportion fluid to each caliper and when you change/upgrade your calipers/brakes its ALWAYS best to get the matching components if you want to get the most out of ur setup... And remember civic brake boosters on work with civic master cylinders, and integra brake boosters only with with integra master cylinders...
Old 04-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDM_SOHC
ummmm, actually its TOTALLY COMPLETELY NECESSARY to swap the bmc/bb if your upgrading your brakes... your stock setup is set to evenly proportion fluid to each caliper and when you change/upgrade your calipers/brakes its ALWAYS best to get the matching components if you want to get the most out of ur setup... And remember civic brake boosters on work with civic master cylinders, and integra brake boosters only with with integra master cylinders...
uhmm noo.. not for usdm vehicles.. the prop valve on 6th gen hatches in the USDM do not vary and were all of the 40/40 variety. 96-00 civic hatchback in USA have exact same prop valve as 99/00 civic SI (which has front and rear disc almost exactly like integra GSR).

Ive been driving my car like this for 4 years daily driving.. no problems at all braking.. take it from me I actually did the swap and tested it everyday
Old 04-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the prop valve on 6th gen hatches in the USDM do not vary and were all of the 40/40 variety.
Thats not true

96-00 civic hatchback in USA have exact same prop valve as 99/00 civic SI
That is true. The All '96 - '00 Civic hatchbacks and the Si and HX coupe share the same prop valve. The LX and DX sedans share another prop valve, and the EX coupes use yet another prop valve.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Thats not true

That is true. The All '96 - '00 Civic hatchbacks and the Si and HX coupe share the same prop valve. The LX and DX sedans share another prop valve, and the EX coupes use yet another prop valve.
Oh yeah, I think those use 30/40 prop valve?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much would it cost for everything? Thinking of doing it to my 97 hb...
Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ecko_3420
how much would it cost for everything? Thinking of doing it to my 97 hb...
Well I just installed mine today, Went with an SI 7/8's BMC that bolted onto my Booster perfectly. Feels nice. But I want the integra front conversion as well now.

Here's the breakdown of what I had to pay to convert my car from drum to disc.

Trailing arm Assembly: $220
(Trailing arm, Bad rotors, Calipers w/ pads, e-brake lines, Integra 40/40 Prop Valve, GSR 1" BMC, Integra LCA's)

Good Rotors: Free courtesy of brad

Good Integra GSR rear brake lines: Free courtesy of brad

2000 Civic Si BMC: $30

DOT 3 24oz Brake Fluid: $8

10mm Flare Wrench: $7

Total: <$300
Old 04-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks!!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:34 AM

Good ****, my ej6 has rear disc's as well, But I really want to go with that 1" BMC, I heard it makes for firmer pedal feel and better braking anyone want to confirm this, I believe it with the bigger piston size inside the MC.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SeanZ0r
Good ****, my ej6 has rear disc's as well, But I really want to go with that 1" BMC, I heard it makes for firmer pedal feel and better braking anyone want to confirm this, I believe it with the bigger piston size inside the MC.
Well I can pretty much confirm this as my brother drives a 97 gsr, and his brake pedal is firm as F***. I love it to death. Thats why i want to convert to gsr fronts as well and eventually if I cant have the 1", then Steel braided lines. Hopefully, this will have the same effect.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 AM

i have a 99 civic ex coupe with 00 gsr rear disc assembly. i got a 99-00 civic si prop valve, gsr master cylinder/ brake booster and goodridge ss brake lines. i didnt install the setup yet. i was wondering if the 00 gsr master cylinder/brake booster will bolt right onto my 99 civic coupe without any modifications? can i still use my stock front disc assembly with the gsr mc/bb without any problems? or am i gonna have to get gsr front disc assembly also?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just put an ex master on your current brake booster bolts right up. Integra 1inch needs to be a 98+ to work
Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by jptyper
Just put an ex master on your current brake booster bolts right up. Integra 1inch needs to be a 98+ to work

i got a 2000 gsr mc/bb, so that will bolt right onto my 1999 civic?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i picked up everything for mine for 250, plus a new MC. i also wound up replacing the camber arms, and LCA with a blox racing setup\. i destroyed the bushings. the bolts like to rust to the bushing collars. so hopefully you don't have this problem. i use a 94 si MC and goodrich stainless steel braided brake lines and the pedal is nice and firm. i did the swap because of the problems i had with the drums. all my parts were brand spanking new. something else to consider would be just swapping out the hubs in the rear instead of replacing the TA's it would take alot less time and less chance of destroying all the bushings. good luck though.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do a write up with detailed pics...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After reading this thread, I purchased the rear disc assemble(the whole trailing arm with brake cables and everything) off a 2000 gsr for 100.00. I'm about to install it on my 98 hatchback and I'm curious about the prop valve. My question is, I shouldn't have to replace it, correct?

Maybe I'm wrong but I was thinking of just removing and replacing the whole trailing arms. Using the same lower control arm that was on the vehicle and the upper linkage or upper control arm as well. I thought that was it, I was told the brake cable will work, just have to adjust it a bit. I dunno, but I will soon find out.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Snap-off
After reading this thread, I purchased the rear disc assemble(the whole trailing arm with brake cables and everything) off a 2000 gsr for 100.00. I'm about to install it on my 98 hatchback and I'm curious about the prop valve. My question is, I shouldn't have to replace it, correct?

Maybe I'm wrong but I was thinking of just removing and replacing the whole trailing arms. Using the same lower control arm that was on the vehicle and the upper linkage or upper control arm as well. I thought that was it, I was told the brake cable will work, just have to adjust it a bit. I dunno, but I will soon find out.
The 99-00 Civic Si uses rear disc brakes, and has the same part# prop valve as all the 96-00 Civics, So I didnt upgrade mine, but I did use the Si BMC.

As far as LCA's and UCA's use the vehicles stock LCA, and the UCA is universal so it doesnt matter. The e-brake cables from the GSR worked perfectly on mine after a slight adjustment.

Hope this helps.