Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK questions...help please!

Old 02-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 EK questions...help please!

heyy im looking into buying an ek9 soon, what model should i get, is there an Si version, whats a good price, mileage, is there a type-R in the us?
what basic info and specializations should i know about ek9. whats fastest model? which mods should i put on? exaughts,motors,wings,turbokits,cooler intake, worth getting straight down pipe?

please and thank you
Old 02-05-2011, 02:08 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: EK questions...help please!

I Googled this.
The first Civic to receive the 'Type R' name was based on the 6th generation 'EK' Civic. The contributing base model was the JDM Civic 3 door hatchback called SiR, code named EK4. Like its big brother the Integra Type R DC2, the Civic SiR's transformation into a Type R was achieved by working on the base model and improving it to Honda's idea of a car capable of high performance on the circuit. The EK9 Civic Type R was preceded by two previous generations of unofficial Type R's - the EF9 SiR and EG6 SiR.

The first Civic to officially receive the Type R badge was introduced in 1997 as the EK9. As a hatchback which continued the 'R' philosophy from the 2 previous SiRs, the EK9 shared many characteristics with the Integra Type R DC2 such as omission of sound deadening and other weight-reduction measures, a hand-ported B16B engine, front helical limited-slip differential and close ratio gearbox etc.. The B16B engine boasted one of the highest power output per litre of all time for an NA engine with 185 PS (136 kW; 182 hp) from a 1.6L. For the first time, a strategically seam welded monocoque chassis was used to improve chassis rigidity. The interior featured red Recaro seats, a titanium shift **** and a Momo steering wheel. In 1999 the Type Rx was introduced featuring a CD player, body colored retractable electric door mirrors, power windows, auto air conditioning, key-less entry unlock system, aluminum sports pedals, and a carbon type center panel. The SiR badge from the previous 2 generations was ceded to the EK4 Civic as a mainstream sedan and hatchback which was sold in huge numbers across the globe due to its relatively low cost, practicality and everyday usable street performance/drivability.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 02-05-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats great info but didnt really help....
Old 02-05-2011, 02:30 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It probably didn't. From your first post it sounds like you don't really know what a EK9/CTR is.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ek9s are jdm type R hatchbacks. The u.s. never recieved any official "ek".

In the u.s., from 96-00, There's the ej coupe, the hatchback, the sedan, and em1 (99-00 si). the VIN determines the chassis code. My Si's VIN starts with 1HGEM1. So its a em1. My DC2 ITR says JH4DC2. My AP1 says JHMAP1. Look on the VIN plate to determine which chassis you have. I'm sure it doesnt say ek9.

ALL 96-00 civics are referred to in layman's terms as "ek's". Just like everyone refers to any tissue as "kleenex".

Once you put a 9 in front of ek, however, you're being very specific to the JDM CTR EK hatchback model.

Your questions about performance are too vague to answer without writing a novel. There's so many performance avenues and parts for civics that even the internet has trouble containing them all. Research. Ask narrower questions.

Civics are like tofu. They can be made into anything in any flavor or shape. The car is just a jump off point or blank canvas for anything you want.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Ek info

First, there was never a EK in the Us.

The EK9 is also the ctr, and was never released here.

The CTR would be the best from the factory, but it is quite difficult to get in the US.

You need to search and read about these cars before you start worrying about modifcations.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i wanna get something i can get easy, like an 00' ek but i dont know anything about it, all im asking for is whats best thing i can get out here from a private seller?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_C...xth_generation)
Old 02-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Master Detailer

99-00 Civic Si. or a swapped civic.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search!

Civic si 99-00 would be the best bet imo
Old 02-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeaa im searching and i want 99-00
but i want a hatch and i havent seen one si hatch in cali for sale, its gonna be my first car so i can only go like 6k
Old 02-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Richdip
yeaa im searching and i want 99-00
but i want a hatch and i havent seen one si hatch in cali for sale, its gonna be my first car so i can only go like 6k
There wasn't an 96-00 Si hatchback in the US, only CX or DX. Please read the info in the link I provided... to make your life easier.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The best thing you can do is search search and search some more. This has been covered plenty of times and you will save yourself a headache. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_Si#1999.E2.80.932000 there is a wiki link for the information about the 99-00 civic si

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_C...xth_generation) AND there is one for the 6th generation civic as posted above. I hope this helps and good luck
Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

exaughts, wing, two turbo kits, and a straight down pipe. and two t66 turbos with a motec system exhaust. two of the big ones. by tonight
Old 02-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like you do not know anything about civic's the EK9 Model is the Type-R which is rare to see in the US what you are thinking is the EJ civic and you must really not know much about cars when you start mentioning wings and do not know the name for a cold air intake. like every kid that wants a civic exhaust, header, cold air intake and all those bolt ons will not increase your performance at all.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Richdip
sooo looking into buying an ek, but i dont know what model exaclty to buy, i live in america. i know there is ek4 and ek9 but what should i buy they also hve dx and cx series or something can some one help me, i looked at a few and all were just dx's, whats the best ek?

what model should i get, is there an Si version, whats a good price, mileage, is there a type-R in the us?
what basic info and specializations should i know about ek9. whats fastest model? which mods should i put on? exaughts,motors,wings,turbokits,cooler intake, worth getting straight down pipe?

please and thank you
As mentioned before, the EK9 is the 1997-2000 Civic Type R hatch with the B16B. This trim was only originally sold in Japan.

The EK4 is a 1996-2000 Civic hatch or sedan with a B16A or similar engine. These trims were sold in a variety of countries, but the US and Canada aren't on that list.

When trim level you buy is greatly up to what you're looking for as far as body style and options.

Coupes

The 1996-2000 Civic coupe was available as a DX, HX, EX and Si.

The easy way to tell an EX and Si from the DX and HX is the EX and Si both come standard with a power moonroof. The moonroof was NOT an optional part. If a DX or HX has a moonroof, you'll more than likely see on closer inspection that there is a rubber seal around the hole in the roof, indicating an aftermarket unit.

The DX (EJ6) is the lowest trim level for the US coupe. Power steering, cruise control and air conditioning are optional on this trim. These cars come with manual roll up windows and locks as well. The engine is the D16Y7, 1.6L SOHC non-VTEC, which puts out about 106hp or so.

The next step up is the HX (EJ7), which is the economy trim level equipped with the D16Y5, 1.6L SOHC VTEC-E. It has about 115hp. No moonroof on this one either, and IIRC it has manual roll up windows and power locks.

The EX (EJ8) is the fully loaded model, coming standard with power steering, cruise control, air conditioning and a power moonroof. This trim comes with the D16Y8, 1.6L SOHC VTEC putting out about 125hp.

In 1999 the Civic Si (EM1) was briefly added to the lineup. It was basically an EX, but with added rear disc brakes, a higher performance engine and some aesthetic changes (body decals, grille, amber interior lighting, headrest holes). The Si got the B16A2, a DOHC VTEC engine with 160hp.

Hatches

Choices as far as hatches are rather slim and rather similar being that only the CX and DX models were available. Both trims came with the same D16Y7, 1.6L SOHC non-VTEC with 106hp.

The DX (EJ6) hatch is the same as the DX coupe and the CX is a step lower than that. Keep in mind that "lower trim" doesn't necessarily mean it's a lesser vehicle.

The CX (EJ6) was the lightest 6G Civic available stateside. Even the radio was an option in this car! Many dealers would opt to have a radio installed in these cars from the factory since having one made it easier to move a car off the lot. Cruise control and power steering are much less common on the CX versus the DX. The CX also did not come with a hatch cover, though one can easily be installed (cover plus clips to hold it in place).

Sedans

The DX (EJ6) and EX (EJ8) sedans are the same as the coupe models by those names, though just in a four door configuration.

Added to this was the LX (EJ6) and LX-V (aka. SE or VP) (EJ6), which was a slight modification on the LX. As far as I can tell the LX was sort of in between the DX and EX. It was a DX type car, but had some creature comforts added to it. This model still had the D16Y7, 1.6L SOHC non-VTEC with 106hp. The VP just has some painted trim as far as I can tell (though not all trim is painted to match).

Finally there was the rarest 6G Civic available in the United States and only the United States: the 1998-2000 Civic GX (EN1). So rare that few people even seem to know about it. This trim is essentially an LX with a very special motor and fuel setup. This was the first (and only Honda at the time) to run on natural gas. The engine used is the D16B5 and I've heard performance is somewhere between the HX and EX. Because this trim runs on natural gas it has a special pressurized tank in the trunk instead of the plastic fuel tank that hangs under the car. These cars were originally sold as fleet vehicles in a select few southwester states.

Btw, all of this could have been found in this thread:
6G Civic Trim Differences
Old 02-05-2011, 08:22 PM
H-T White Ops

Oh, and when you get this car, focus on theft prevention first!

The Si will have at least a slightly higher theft risk.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This guy seems troll-ish?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he just wants a ek with ctr lip and ctr wing , "jdm" b16 , sun roof, hids, n1 muffler, 6 jdm badges all over the windows, fog lights, subs, hellaflush wheels, VTEC to crack loudly, blox lug nuts, bwr subframe brace, window visors, red stitched shift boot, short shifter that sits low, lower his car with cut springs, tow hooks, quick release AM I MISSING ANY THING???
Old 02-05-2011, 09:28 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by B serious
This guy seems troll-ish?
There's a fine line between trollish and noobish.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ yep. Not sure where OP is at with that.

OP...all the info for trims has been laid out for you. Read all that's been posted...and search craigslist for 96-00 civics. Depending on your budget you can make a USDM hatch look exactly like a CTR and perform like it including RHD. Most everything will be based upon budget. Ek9s are an amazing vehicle, but there are tons of USDM civics that will out-perform them in every way. It's the best 6th gen civic you can buy without any modification yes, but you can buy a DX shell for about 1000 and put a couple thousand into it and spank a stock Ek9 all day every day.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

guess im a noob
thx for the info guys
Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Master Detailer

You really do need to read up, what NOFX posted is all true. When your bored, read some stuff on honda tech. It's fine to be a noob, but a lot of people on here get pissy when questions like this come up.

Last edited by Former User; 02-06-2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Thread clean up